Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Can we please make Sam Reid our boards sponsored player this year? It might mean we no longer have to put up with ^^^^^^^

I'm a big Sam Reid fan. I disagree that he's "soft" or a "bum".

I think he plays his role & if he didn't he'd be out of the side. Pretty simple.

To play AFL level footy for as long as he has then you have to be good enough to. He's certainly not useless IMO.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a big Sam Reid fan. I disagree that he's "soft" or a "bum".

I think he plays his role & if he didn't he'd be out of the side. Pretty simple.

To play AFL level footy for as long as he has then you have to be good enough to. He's certainly not useless IMO.

I thought a bum was someone who sat around either at home or on the streets not contributing to society. Often yelling out angrily at innocent passers by going about their business.

As best as I can tell, Sam Reid gets up every day, trains hard at his craft, is good enough to play at the top level, is a loving husband and doting father.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
For those wondering how he snagged what people assume to be a healthy contract. He got a big contract after kicking 22 goals in his first full season, followed by 31 goals in 2012. After a couple of injury affected years he had a 30 goal 2017 which scored him a contract through to the end of this year.

Reid had a bit of luck with his timing but the coach's decision to award a good contract made sense. What coach wouldn't want a big bodied 2nd tall forward who can kick 30 in a season, hold his own in the ruck, take a big contested grab (top 10 players of the league in both years that he signed a new contract), put on a lot of forward pressure on (top 10 in 2019 for tackles inside 50), take a big grab down back at key moments or give us a marking option coming out of defence.

We really don't have another player of Reid's size, strength and versatility. His job is to contribute in any number of areas, which he does. McCartin is too small. Sinclair too old. Blakey too thin. McLean and Aliir were probably the closest we got but Aliir didn't have Reid's contested marking or his forward tackling pressure. He also struggled when matched up or asked to be accountable. McLean is still too easily pushed aside, though I expect he'll be primed for Reid's role in a few years time.

Remember Reid's impossibly huge game saving mark against Freo ? Punching wasn't an option, so he leapt 1.5m higher than even Pyke and Grundy could reach then kicked it almost to the centre to ensure there was no chance Freo could get another shot on goal. I doubt anyone else in our team could have taken that mark.

When he's good he can be very good indeed and history tells us he'll probably have a really good year in 2021, just as his contract's up for renewal again.

1612532320497.png

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Honestly, I have really liked Reid's last 2 games.

Played his role perfectly, and been accurate when he has marked the ball.

Hope this form continues.

Yes, the team we have now is perfect for him. We now have a dynamic forward line and Reid is no longer expected to be kicking 2-3 goals and that’s not the player he is.

He’s perfect in the Mr. Fixit role that he’s playing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yes, the team we have now is perfect for him. We now have a dynamic forward line and Reid is no longer expected to be kicking 2-3 goals and that’s not the player he is.

He’s perfect in the Mr. Fixit role that he’s playing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree DA. Mr Fixit is a good label. Reid's always high in our 1%ers, behind only Hickey and in the top 20 in the league. He's our no.1 for contested marks and 6th in the league so far while kicking a handy 1.5/game. Reid's a smart footballer. He plays the team game in a variety of very physical roles. He kicks a big bag every now and then but I agree, that's just not his role. He gets to a lot of contests and often uses his big frame to clear space for other players in the forward line or to crunch packs. He uses his body to shield others or throws an arm in to impede or dispossess an opposition player. Reid does a myriad of small things to impede the opposition or favour our players, much of which he doesn't get a stat for. He covers more of the ground than any of our forwards, except maybe Heeney, yet he also averages the most time on ground. He's much more likely to contest a pack and tap a ball on to the advantage of a teammate than to take the ball and try to run with it.

Reid is earning every bit of his coin.

Back