Geelongs 150 million government investment - Is this fair on the rest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks good and hopefully it can host some AFLW (and continue with VFL) games with a better suited (ie higher) capacity.

On the note of a boutique stadium, now that ardern st is on the metro tunnel, put some money into that being a replica of GWS stadium, seating 30k to 35k. If that can't work, then do it at Western Oval. Then each Melbourne stadium (MCG, Docklands, Boutique) can host games depending on expected crowd turn out to maximise revenue/profit for the clubs. I know the MCG is the spiritual home for a few clubs, but I'm not sure there's much sense in playing Melbourne v GWS at the MCG, unless the club is happy to cop the loss. I would also aim to bring back the 2pm match where possible to avoid overlaps in other slots which a 3rd Melbourne stadium would help with (every game is stand alone except for the 3 or so played at 2pm Saturday to maximise eyeballs).

edit:

Western Oval using Metricon Design:
View attachment 1013573
Would need to buy the dealership, and incorporate the childcare into the stadium (easily done), fits quite easily otherwise.

Melbourne home games at Footscray :tearsofjoy:

There'd genuinely be 100 people there.

Club financials come before away teams opinions where games are played. Should be a decision for the home team only, that's their prerogative.

Not according to the AFL, and they run the fixture.

The AFL wants the GF at the MCG (for good reason), and one element of that is that all teams need to get to play there every year, usually multiple times.

MCG 'home' teams get to play the GF on their home ground (along with other finals against other Vic teams), but the trade off is that it's the ground with the least home ground advantage through the year.

Glad you agree that Geelong don't get to choose where they play their home games.

To a degree.

If they really wanted to have all their games in Geelong, they would though, so it's pretty clear that whatever the public statements, they don't actually want that.

The AFL has no cap on major capital expenditure by clubs. The AFL can't put a cap on a club building a new facility ie the bricks and mortar, but they can on the capital equipment that goes in their like gym equipment those Alter G machines, computers etc, that type of expenditure is covered by the footy department soft cap.

That is ridiculous - I can understand a soft cap on coaches etc but clubs should be able to spend what they want/can on facilities

There is no reason to cap either.

Football dept spending outside the cap is a 'soft' addition to the cap.

2 clubs offer a player 500K each.
Club 'A' has A grade facilities, the best development coaches and medical/fitness/support staff. (and a couple of ex-players who don't seem to do much, but 'somehow' *nudge nudge* get paid very well just to turn up occasionally)
Club 'B' trains at a smaller, 'boutique' facility, has a couple of OK development coaches and bare bones support staff.

Who do you think the player would go to?

If they're serious about the salary cap, they have to have limits on related spending.

2 problems with that.

The first and biggest is the AFL. They own Docklands and make big coin out of the MCG...They're not going to be huge fans of competition that takes game away from either.

The other problem is getting there, and the catch-22 of having a ground big enough to be economically viable/worthwhile while also being a location that struggles to get the people to/from. More seats means bigger transport problems..

There is virtually no parking (and the council would need it's arm bent a long way to allow cars back on princess park which is where there was *some* parking before, but even that's not much).

Train isn't close (there are 2 stations 'nearby', with a third coming, but both are a bit of a hike relative to what people are used to).

Trams do come close, but it takes a lot of trams to get the required number of patrons.

Best option would be to rebuild the rail spur to Princess park, which while physically quite easy, would be a planning/approval nightmare (NIMBY's would revolt).
And this partially explains why there are a few 15-20,000 seat rectangular stadiums in (western) NSW.

The A-league side WS Wanderers originally played games at Parramatta stadium. Then that ground got redevelopment for 1-2 seasons and they played home games at various grounds.

Saying that. Broncos play NRL home games at Suncorp stadium. They don't really have an alternative Venue don't they?

Once Waverley was demolished, there was not alternative grounds but the MCG or Docklands hence north, saints and dogs play lots of rent to play at Docklands don't they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not according to the AFL, and they run the fixture.

The AFL wants the GF at the MCG (for good reason), and one element of that is that all teams need to get to play there every year, usually multiple times.

MCG 'home' teams get to play the GF on their home ground (along with other finals against other Vic teams), but the trade off is that it's the ground with the least home ground advantage through the year.

You mean the crowd influence on the game .... yes, I understand you believe its the ground.

You mean the crowd influence on the game .... yes, I understand you believe its the ground.

That is one of the factors.

AFL & MCC members mean the crowd will always be more evenly distributed and include more neutrals.

But it's a lot more than evenness of crowd. Geelong's 'D' shaded ground would advantage them even if the stadium was empty for example.

Geelong's 'D' shaded ground
lol. Your lot really gets worked up about the shape of our ground. It's an oval (not a circle), which footy should be played on. Sure it's a bit on the skinny side, but it doesn't affect the game nearly as much as your cognitive dissonance might tell you.

lol. Your lot really gets worked up about the shape of our ground. It's an oval (not a circle), which footy should be played on. Sure it's a bit on the skinny side, but it doesn't affect the game nearly as much as your cognitive dissonance might tell you.

Point is, it's a different size and shape to any other ground, which gives an advantage to the team that plays (and trains) on it more regularly.

Point is, it's a different size and shape to any other ground, which gives an advantage to the team that plays (and trains) on it more regularly.
Adelaide Oval, SCG, Gabba, Docklands, MCG. All different sizes to each other. Not sure what your point is?

Adelaide Oval, SCG, Gabba, Docklands, MCG. All different sizes to each other. Not sure what your point is?

Look what I was replying to....

I was saying it's more than just the crowd.

Stop being so defensive about your ground. That it shouldn't be (game) legal to play on is a separate argument.

Last edited:
I was saying it's more than just the crowd.

.... its the ground is it, as in home ground advantage?

Such a misleading concept in the modern game. Was relevant when the Tiges played in a local comp & played where they trained, changed close on 60 years ago ... before decimal currency :'(

Definitive rooted in the past.

.... its the ground is it, as in home ground advantage?

Such a misleading concept in the modern game. Was relevant when the Tiges played in a local comp & played where they trained, changed close on 60 years ago ... before decimal currency :'(

Definitive rooted in the past.

Sorry, I forgot that the only factors that apply are the ones the eagles fans can claim to be unfairly effected by.

:rolleyes:

How would the AFL have any say in what trading facility a club can build?
If the Eagles wanted to build a 300 million dollar facility why would the AFL have any say in it?

How would the AFL have any say in what trading facility a club can build?
If the Eagles wanted to build a 300 million dollar facility why would the AFL have any say in it?

Directly, they probably don't.

But they certainly have 'influence' over various parties, (both club and governments) which could probably make/break such things.

As for why...I suppose they'd say it was to do with game balance.

As I posted above...

Football dept spending outside the cap is a 'soft' addition to the cap.

2 clubs offer a player 500K each.
Club 'A' has A grade facilities, the best development coaches and medical/fitness/support staff. (and a couple of ex-players who don't seem to do much, but 'somehow' *nudge nudge* get paid very well just to turn up occasionally)
Club 'B' trains at a smaller, 'boutique' facility, has a couple of OK development coaches and bare bones support staff.

Who do you think the player would go to?

If they're serious about the salary cap, they have to have limits on related spending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back