WA Covid Outbreak 31/01/2021

Remove this Banner Ad

You sound like a knowledgeable chap.....got another one for you..

Given the way that COVID-19 mutates so rapidly, does that increase the likelihood that it was a strain of COVID manipulated in a lab (eg combined with 1 or 2 other strains....or whatever, Im no scientist) which subsequently leaked? making it more adaptable?

I would almost prefer that to it being a regular strain we caught from bats or what-not.

All viruses mutate. It's why we need annual flu shots.

When any individual catches a virus it starts to multiply in the body and attack other cells. Effectively this multiplication is cells reproducing and splitting (as like when a baby starts as a single cell upon insemination and then multiplies). Every time a cell multiplies, there is a very very small chance it doesn't perfectly replicate and the new cell is slightly different to the one it is multiplies from. This is effectively genetic mutation. Viruses often mutate and present very little difference to the original, but sometimes that mutation is significantly large that it produces different characteristics - often ones that weaken the virus, sometimes ones that make it worse.

Mutation happens in the body all of the time, and can be replicated in the lab. But if you think how many people have COVID (millions) vs the number of scientists experimenting with it, then I would suggest the odds of these mutations being related to a leak from a lab are much higher than a million to one.

All viruses mutate. It's why we need annual flu shots.

When any individual catches a virus it starts to multiply in the body and attack other cells. Effectively this multiplication is cells reproducing and splitting (as like when a baby starts as a single cell upon insemination and then multiplies). Every time a cell multiplies, there is a very very small chance it doesn't perfectly replicate and the new cell is slightly different to the one it is multiplies from. This is effectively genetic mutation. Viruses often mutate and present very little difference to the original, but sometimes that mutation is significantly large that it produces different characteristics - often ones that weaken the virus, sometimes ones that make it worse.

Mutation happens in the body all of the time, and can be replicated in the lab. But if you think how many people have COVID (millions) vs the number of scientists experimenting with it, then I would suggest the odds of these mutations being related to a leak from a lab are much higher than a million to one.
Im taking that as confirmation that this leaked from a lab in Wuhan......hope the Chinese are not infiltrating this board. You could be in serious trouble bro! (I realise Barbie would indicate you are in fact a lovely lady, but I am trying to be PC)

Hey brains trust - anyone know this?

If I am WFH and the Mrs is also WFH, can we have the grandma over as "primary carer'?

You sound like a knowledgeable chap.....got another one for you..

Given the way that COVID-19 mutates so rapidly, does that increase the likelihood that it was a strain of COVID manipulated in a lab (eg combined with 1 or 2 other strains....or whatever, Im no scientist) which subsequently leaked? making it more adaptable?

I would almost prefer that to it being a regular strain we caught from bats or what-not.
I just regurgitate information given to me by my partner, as she works in the area. Wouldn't have the slightest clue how the virus itself actually works outside of epidemiology.

I'd seriously be concerned if it was a man-made virus. That type of thing seems like it would bring on a new era of warfare and will directly * civilians who ordinarily should not have to take part in conflicts

Im taking that as confirmation that this leaked from a lab in Wuhan......hope the Chinese are not infiltrating this board. You could be in serious trouble bro! (I realise Barbie would indicate you are in fact a lovely lady, but I am trying to be PC)

Quite the opposite on both fronts.

- It's almost certainly a natural occurring virus and the mutations will be naturally amongst the general public. Like I said, a million to one chance this is from a lab

- Barbie was a nickname I got when I was 21 because I hadn't cut my hair since I was 17. It was the early 90s and grunge was the in thing then - so I was just copying many others. My indoor soccer team got nicknames printed on the back of our shirts and the guy who did it decided on our nicknames. Hated it for a good six months but by then probably 80% of my mates called me Barbie and it just stuck - well into my late-20s and a long time after I'd had it all cut off. But I've kept it for my various forum logins but that's about the only time it's used now.

2 positive cases in WA

Premier Mark McGowan reveals COVID-19 positive truck drivers entered WA from Sydney
2 truckies.

Given they came through the goldfields and got advised of a positive test by text through their employer and isolated straight after it has lessened the risk somewhat.

2 truckies.

Given they came through the goldfields and got advised of a positive test by text through their employer and isolated straight after it has lessened the risk somewhat.
And the ******* truckies are having a sook, stopping deliveries and blocking roads over having to pass through checkpoints and so on to pass borders.

Its almost ironic how soon this has happened after their hissy fits to basically prove the necessities of the strict border crossing requirements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back