News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL Live subscription was one of the last things keeping me at Telstra. Been with them for some 20 years.
When I worked out that I could get a better package (cheaper per month with more data) from Optus and the savings even more than catered for paying out my contract early, the AFL subscription didn't seem as important.
I made the switch maybe 6 or so months ago and haven't looked back. Optus also have better packages when upgrading your phone. Whenever I upgraded my phone with Telstra, I'd always get the second best option (couldn't get the plus sized screen or maximum storage without paying too much). Then my wife would upgrade hers with Optus and get all the bells and whistles.
I now pay less per month and have jumped from 10gb to 60gb of data. Plus my wife and I are on data share, so we have 120gb per month to play with between us, which we never come close to.

I live regionally in Vic. I made the mistake of switching to Optus for my wife, myself and our two kids. Their deals in both $$$$ and data were much better than Telstra's.

We lasted a month and the only reason we lasted that long was because I was away working for 2 of them so couldn't get it sorted until I got back to Vic.

The call quality was disgraceful and the coverage was ordinary.

So my plans of going to Telstra just for AFL Free pass are now done. I'll stick with a cheaper, better value phone provider thanks.

...which is probably using the Telstra network so have to pay Telstra anyway. They always get you in the end.

Not having a crack at you personally and I have no interest in Kayo (I'll just get the sports package on Foxtel for the duration of the AFL and F1 seasons), but if you were planning to go to Telstra for the AFL Free Pass and now you aren't, are you going to stream or access the AFL some other way or are you just going to stick with FTA? Did you have access to AFL streaming before you planned on going to Telstra?

Last edited:
Cant get the Kayo offer to actually work to save my life, stupid one time pin gets sent to * knows where.

As a Telstra customer, I've had the ability for ages to sign up to Kayo for $15 per month for 12 months. So if you were an existing Telstra customer, it's not saving you $20 a month for 12 months, it's saving you $10.

Also if you're a Telstra Plus Gold Member you can get a free Telstra TV box which will turn a tv into a smart tv if you need to with all the pre-loaded streaming apps. I have got mine to take back to work and hook up to my old tv in my donga.

I live regionally in Vic. I made the mistake of switching to Optus for my wife, myself and our two kids. Their deals in both $$$$ and data were much better than Telstra's.

We lasted a month and the only reason we lasted that long was because I was away working for 2 of them so couldn't get it sorted until I got back to Vic.

The call quality was disgraceful and the coverage was ordinary.
I'm also regional. Will admit the coverage isn't quite as good as Telstra and some areas will be worse than others, but I haven't really had any dramas.

As a Telstra customer, I've had the ability for ages to sign up to Kayo for $15 per month for 12 months. So if you were an existing Telstra customer, it's not saving you $20 a month for 12 months, it's saving you $10.

Also if you're a Telstra Plus Gold Member you can get a free Telstra TV box which will turn a tv into a smart tv if you need to with all the pre-loaded streaming apps. I have got mine to take back to work and hook up to my old tv in my donga.
the offer of $20 off is for Telstra (or is it AFL, whatever) Live Pass customers....not Telstra customers. Yes Telstra/Kayo for $15/mth been there for ages.

Last edited:
Not sure about that as RSL clubs make massive profits from people with gambling addictions.
Yeah, but that money hopefully gets going to the right people, not everyone is addicted but point taken, it’s pick your poison, RSL or other big tech who profit off other forms of addiction. wish it was easier to finance RSLs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...which is probably using the Telstra network so have to pay Telstra anyway. They always get you in the end.

Not having a crack at you personally and I have no interest in Kayo (I'll just get the sports package on Foxtel for the duration of the AFL and F1 seasons), but if you were planning to go to Telstra for the AFL Free Pass and now you aren't, are you going to stream or access the AFL some other way or are you just going to stick with FTA? Did you have access to AFL streaming before you planned on going to Telstra?
Work pays the mobile plan, so it would have been "free" for me.

I'll probably go to the pub and watch Fox...then spend more on beer each week than a year's Kayo subscription.

I'm amazed so many don't have unlimited internet....

I used the free telstra to watch some Carlton games as I'm with Telstra. Didn't have Foxtel or kayo but will have to get something to watch the footy now. No Biggun. Was good while it lasted (surprised it lasted this long with the way the AFL works - $$$$)

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I'm amazed so many don't have unlimited internet....

I used the free telstra to watch some Carlton games as I'm with Telstra. Didn't have Foxtel or kayo but will have to get something to watch the footy now. No Biggun. Was good while it lasted (surprised it lasted this long with the way the AFL works - $$$$)

Unlimited internet on mobile plans is bloody expensive. I have unlimited internet at home but that does not help with watching football when I am not at home.

Unlimited internet on mobile plans is bloody expensive. I have unlimited internet at home but that does not help with watching football when I am not at home.
I am like you, do shifts with occasional down time. Footy a godsend with Live Pass. I also live in a regional area and often caught up on Hawks game while my son is training for footy or basketball, as I have to wait. I take it I need Kayo to catch up on games I miss seeing due to work or other commitments?

Oh and got my Aldi phone package in the mail today. Good timing.

Yeah right, I was thinking people were complaining about using home internet. Fair enough on the phone data, no good for that anymore

Yep im finally ditching Telstra now. And abiut time. Live pass was the only reason i stayed with them.
Ill now get on a cheaper plan with a different company and get the full Kayo.
Wont be much of a difference.

See ya Telstra its been real!!
Unmetered AFL was my last reason for keeping Telstra. I guess it was always too good to last forever.

$5 Kayo monthly is great value and very sensible from them from a business sense and a PR sense. They've turned a massive negative of removing AFL Live Passes into positive press releases for themselves. By the time Kayo switches over to $25 a month people will have forgotten what they're missing out on.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cant get the Kayo offer to actually work to save my life, stupid one time pin gets sent to fu** knows where.

Exactly the same with me. Sends a pin to some other random phone... even when my number is on display.

F*** it I say! Time for me to stick with the classic radio coverage if and whenever I'm out and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back