No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty broad sweep btw. If you're saying anyone with not 100% Anglo heritage, then that would include players like Jordan McMahon, Joel Hamling, Mitch Hahn, Aker, Dahlhaus, Del-re, Grgic, Koster, Vandermeer, even Lindsay Gilbee with his recent confirmation of indigenous heritage. And even further back, Groenewegen, 2 x Huppatz, Delemnico, Zueschner, Petraglia, Pagnoccolo, Perrusich, Bamblett, McLean, Rasmussen, Tzatzaris, De Koning, Vosalaitis, Pleitner, Duperouzel, Buhagiar, Gieschen, Sir, Winmar, Stewart, Skreja, Zeltner, Dockendorff, M.West, Georgiades, Zimmerman, Radziminski, Di Natale, Vilcins, Krakoeur, Jakovich, Gorozidis, Cuzzupe, Tantsis, Pokrovsky, Byrachevski, Phillipou, Cavarra, Sachse - and that's not even a complete list.

(I missed Lipinski, Stevens, Crameri, Markovic, Schache, Goodes, Koops and Dimattina of those that have played at Marvel too.)
Did all of those play at Marvel against Collingwood though? That’s your next task 😄. And only include players who more obviously have an ethnic background that a racist might focus on - many of the above don’t. That alleged “supporter” would have had no clue about opposition players’ names either, would only go by skin colour no doubt. That should narrow it down for you 😉

Did all of those play at Marvel against Collingwood though? That’s your next task 😄. And only include players who more obviously have an ethnic background that a racist might focus on - many of the above don’t. That alleged “supporter” would have had no clue about opposition players’ names either, would only go by skin colour no doubt. That should narrow it down for you 😉

True, and apologies for the lengthy response, it wasn't meant as anything against your comments btw. It would be interesting to know specifics about Cassidy's incident though. (I can tell you for certain that some of those I listed definitely did not play at Marvel during their careers - because their careers ended before the stadium was even a pipe-dream! :) )

In my experience at the footy Collingwood supporters have been well behaved.

North, Carlton, Adelaide and Hawthorn supporters would be my worst.

A further development. Seems like a positive step. Unconditional too. They seem to have taken on board all or most of the report's conclusions/recommendations.

Good on them.

I only saw this in passing, and my first thought was that it was an apology to Collingwood fans that they have only won 2 flags in 63 years.

It being against Collingwood and at Docklands, it almost has to be Jong that was racially abused.

Possible targets who played games against C'wood at Docklands. Jong, Goodes, Hill, Harbrow, Stack, Koops, Faulkner and Skinner. Stack played 1, on 6 June 2010. Koops played 1, in 2007, too long ago for Cassidy's failing memory. Faulkner played 1, 28 March 2005, even earlier. Skinner never played against C'wood. More likely are

Jong 1 game, 13/8/16
Goodes 1 game, 16/6/13
Hill 4 games, 6/6/10; 28/3/10; 30/8/09; 10/7/09
Harbrow 4 games, 6/6/10; 28/3/10; 10/7/09; 20/5/07

In the games on 10 July 2009 and 28 March 2010, both Harbrow and Hill played. On 6 June 2010, both played and Stack was in the team, too. Cassidy's impolite fellow supporter had 2 targets on 10 July 2009 and 28 March 2010 and 3 on 6 June 2010. Jong's only game, the most recent, was on a Friday evening. Statistically, more likely to have been Hill or Harbrow. I would have been at all of those games. For the record, I didn't hear any racial abuse or Cassidy effectively being told to Get Stuffed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By association, the opponent was Collingwood. It was an iconic moment of pride.
My riddle decoder is out of service today so these words do not explain to me how it is mocking Winmar. I daresay I will only be more confused if I ask for further clarification so will leave it there.

Impressive research. Cassidy does say ‘racial’ abuse and at Docklands so that eliminates your Europeans and anyone who retired before 2000. It would have to be someone of not entirely caucasion appearance. From your list, Koops or Goodes. Others might be Jong, Harbrow, Hill, possibly Faulkner, Skinner, Stack.

You should try reading my post #2650, where I listed candidates.

Btw, how are Europeans eliminated from being subject to racial abuse?

Wikipedia: While partially based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning.

People of European (particularly southern and eastern) background have suffered 'racial' abuse for decades, include casual racism to this day.

You should try reading my post #2650, where I listed candidates.

Btw, how are Europeans eliminated from being subject to racial abuse?

Wikipedia: While partially based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning.

People of European (particularly southern and eastern) background have suffered 'racial' abuse for decades, include casual racism to this day.

In 2021, racism no longer applies to white/European people and is generally seen from a 'power dynamic' perspective, ie. anything the 'oppressed' say against the 'oppressor' is not considered racist.

In 2021, racism no longer applies to white/European people and is generally seen from a 'power dynamic' perspective, ie. anything the 'oppressed' say against the 'oppressor' is not considered racist.

what a load of crap

they have not just suddenly re-written the definition of racism to now only mean skin colour

My riddle decoder is out of service today so these words do not explain to me how it is mocking Winmar. I daresay I will only be more confused if I ask for further clarification so will leave it there.
I am not having a go at you at all, i am saying when i see that image i associate it with Nicky Winmar not Eddie Maguire. I understand the point trying to be made, but it achieves nothing in the end.

what a load of crap

they have not just suddenly re-written the definition of racism to now only mean skin colour
They aren't changing any definitions, it's essentially the power dynamic as Boris described. When it comes to discrimination, punching up is not considered to be anywhere near as bad as punching down.
It's equally been said that women being sexist towards men doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back