Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Wood you believe it: Former Roo lands spot at St Kilda

Welcome Mason Wood - I think he will be good for us, this doesn't have the 'purely depth' feel about it like some of our late acquisitions in recent years like Jonathan Marsh. He has AFL level talent if he can get his body right and psychologically is up for it.

Forward or back? Where’s he being played in match sim?

“Once the dust had settled post-draft, we identified that adding depth to our forward line was something that was probably the priority, if the right person were available,” Head of List Management James Gallagher told saints.com.au.

Looks like it's forward - I can see him pushing for a regular spot.

The most frustrating player I've ever seen at North. Had a crap run with injury for a while but nothing dramatic. Hopefully he can deliver on his undoubted ability for you lot.

But if he is playing regular footy, chances it means you've been ravaged by injury.

The most frustrating player I've ever seen at North. Had a crap run with injury for a while but nothing dramatic. Hopefully he can deliver on his undoubted ability for you lot.

But if he is playing regular footy, chances it means you've been ravaged by injury.

Yeah there is a reason he was delisted and picked up @ 27 as a depth player. I have seen his talent but to be an AFL player you need more than that. At 27 it's his last chance.
Make the most of it or it is over for goood.

Ryan Abbott vibes, will be gone before too long

Here's hoping he finds something in him to become a superstar

I really hope it finally clicks for him. This its more or less a baseless claim (as I am not part of the inner sanctum), but watching him at North, it always felt like he had the work ethic and ego of someone who had accomplished much more in his career than he had (put plainly, he was lazy and full of himself because of the flashes of brilliance that he showed once a season). Being delisted from a, at that time, struggling team may have been the reality check that he needed.

Hope he kills it!

Welcome Mason! If our medical team can limit the little niggles, Mason could end up being another of those great selections. Don't really think we can judge him on the last season. Hell 2020 for the Roos was one they would want to forget. But even in limited game time and playing mostly up front his numbers arent that bad especially when you compare to someone like Kent.

For what I presume is league minimum, I have no issues with this. We have at least 2 more list spots available, so it's not going to stop us picking up an 18/19 year old in midseason, nor stop us from adding another ruckman if necessary. If nothing else, he adds another mature body and experienced head to the reserves week by week, and, at Senior level, he probably acts as a "direct" structural backup to Membrey and Battle, the same way Frawley does to Carlisle and Howard, and the same way McKernan does to Paddy/RoMa/Ming. And he's just young enough, and has enough raw talent that there's the potential to get 3-5 years out of him if he does miraculously turn it on.

Much as I loved the blokes hustle... a decent improvement in terms of raw ability over Marsh (as the plug-n-play KPP).

Did he have good games against us over the years? I feel like he was decent at one point.

I like the move. At worst he's ready made depth should Max or Members go down (assuming he hasn't also gone down that is....). At best he could be pretty damn handy.

Did he have good games against us over the years? I feel like he was decent at one point.

I like the move. At worst he's ready made depth should Max or Members go down (assuming he hasn't also gone down that is....). At best he could be pretty damn handy.

I always remember him in that close loss to North where a soft free against Goldstein when the scores were tied lead to them taking a 1 point lead in the dying seconds and then Wood got the ball on the wing and ran the clock down to the siren before taking the shot.

This seems like a pretty normal thing to do in a game now but back then caused a bit of controversy.

Just looked it up:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam Zurhaar has killed us in his last few games, maybe you're thinking of him haha.

Here's our oldest players and when we picked them up:

Ryder (signed before 2020 season)
Geary
Frawley (2021)
McKernan (2021)
Hannebery (2019)
Roberton
Carlisle
Ross
Webster
Hill (2020)
Wood (2021)
Crouch (2021)
Kent (2019)

8 of our oldest 13 have been signed in the last couple of years. Not to mention Abbott and Sam Rowe in that period as well, but they didn't stick.

Again highlights that our recruiting was terrible for a while, as we all know.

Mason Wood highlights for those interested:

There you go....I love to be proved wrong....and I'm not often disappointed.....I thought WOOD couldn't and that he wouldn't but he did and he can and he has. So Welcome to Mason WOOD he'll probably be a star. Lets hope so hey!!! I guess we can say we all have a WOODY now..:D

Here's our oldest players and when we picked them up:

Ryder (signed before 2020 season)
Geary
Frawley (2021)
McKernan (2021)
Hannebery (2019)
Roberton
Carlisle
Ross
Webster
Hill (2020)
Wood (2021)
Crouch (2021)
Kent (2019)

8 of our oldest 13 have been signed in the last couple of years. Not to mention Abbott and Sam Rowe in that period as well, but they didn't stick.

Again highlights that our recruiting was terrible for a while, as we all know.
It also highlights the fact that a few of the drafts when that group were drafted were heavily compromised due to the GWS and GCS inclusions.

I really hope it finally clicks for him. This its more or less a baseless claim (as I am not part of the inner sanctum), but watching him at North, it always felt like he had the work ethic and ego of someone who had accomplished much more in his career than he had (put plainly, he was lazy and full of himself because of the flashes of brilliance that he showed once a season). Being delisted from a, at that time, struggling team may have been the reality check that he needed.

Hope he kills it!

Well just now, Gerard on 3AW said pretty well the same thing. Hardest trainer gets as much as can out of himself at training but it does transfer to the big stage and Gerard was also asking why.
No answers.

he looks a lot like Wes CHATHAM the guy who plays AMOS on the The EXPANSE....for those who watch the show

Attachments

• Wes_Chatham.jpg
    Wes_Chatham.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 74
  • mason.png
    mason.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 73
I like the guy but I have seen only very little of him . I read it was no surprise when they delisted him but he must be showing something if the Saints put him on our list after three weeks of training. Always happy to give guys another go . I don’t know what went wrong at North last year . Never expected them to be so bad . Also was amazed at the treatment given out to Ben Brown . Although again I didn’t see many North games last year . Was the coach the problem there ? Hard to imagine they would have some a shocker of a year . I thought they were going to be pushing for a finals spot at the start of last year . Boy was I wrong .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back