Roast Tyson Stengle sacked after ******* up again

Remove this Banner Ad

Given his first 2 issues were criminal matters I'd say they fall outside of that particular jurisdiction.

The 3rd one was just plain dumb, even if he didn't take anything. That alone shows you he doesn't have a great deal of intelligence or dedication.

In many workplaces 3 criminal acts in 12 months would be enough to cost you a job. He's EXTREMELY lucky he still has one.

A club in the position we find ourselves in just can't afford these constant issues. We're doing the right thing off field by removing underperforming staff, if the penny doesn't drop for a guy in his 5th year on a list it never will.
Criminal! If you have to raise the hyperbole to that level to justify the club's actions that should cause a rethink.
DUI = criminal
Setting fire to an orphanage = criminal

The issue is not so much his drug use, but that he clearly does not have the dedication to be an elite footballer.
Campo was on ABC Radio today suggesting part of him being away from the club was to show him the position he could be in if he doesn't work hard to get back onto the list and what he's risking by continuing his behaviour.

Basically said it's not uncommon for footballers to become entitled once they've been in the environment for a few years and every now and then some need a wake up call.

Criminal! If you have to raise the hyperbole to that level to justify the club's actions that should cause a rethink.
DUI = criminal
Setting fire to an orphanage = criminal
Classic missing of the point by you again, how the **** are you a mod ??

He was caught by the police in a drug deal, its a criminal matter. If that were you and me we'd more than likely been sacked on the spot after a 2nd incident in 12 months.

It's useless engaging in this discussion with you as you're devoid of rational thought. You're a hypocrite of the highest order.

He was caught by the police in a drug deal, its a criminal matter. If that were you and me we'd more than likely been sacked on the spot after a 2nd incident in 12 months.

It's useless engaging in this discussion with you as you're devoid of rational thought. You're a hypocrite of the highest order.
Yeah you're right, we can't have Pablo Escobar at the club. I stand corrected

If he avoids the death penalty for his crimes he may be able to eke out a career in the amateur league

Yeah you're right, we can't have Pablo Escobar at the club. I stand corrected

If he avoids the death penalty for his crimes he may be able to eke out a career in the amateur league
Are you going to at least try and have a real talk, or are you going to remain juvenile ??

You want a good club culture, yet you don't see what Tyson has done as contributing to a bad one. You're right, we don't want 45 David Mackay's but if we had 45 Tyson Stengles we'd be a worse playing group than we are now.

Are you going to at least try and have a real talk, or are you going to remain juvenile ??

You want a good club culture, yet you don't see what Tyson has done as contributing to a bad one. You're right, we don't want 45 David Mackay's but if we had 45 Tyson Stengles we'd be a worse playing group than we are now.
There's three bits to me

First, I don't think what he's done is that bad.

Second, I think he's good at football and that most of our other players are average, below average or were good but are now winding down.

Third, I think good clubs are able to improve the standards and behaviours of their players through strong leadership and culture.

The arguments in this thread stem from people thinking some (or all) of the following:

He's a criminal
He's not that good at football and/or we have heaps of other good players
Good culture means getting rid of anyone who causes problems

To justify spouting these opinions people:
Exaggerate his crimes
Talk down his ability
And the absolute kicker - indirectly blame him in part for our poor culture by claiming that as we want to improve our culture, we therefore have to get rid of him

There's three bits to me

Second, I think he's good at football and that most of our other players are average, below average or were good but are now winding down.

Third, I think good clubs are able to improve the standards and behaviours of their players through strong leadership and culture.

The arguments in this thread stem from people thinking some (or all) of the following:

He's a criminal

Exaggerate his crimes
Talk down his ability
And the absolute kicker - indirectly blame him in part for our poor culture by claiming that as we want to improve our culture, we therefore have to get rid of him
Do you think Stengle has the mental fortitude to succeed at AFL level?

I don't.

Also, imo he is of average talent. Not the worst on our list but hardly our best either.

There's three bits to me

He's a criminal

Exaggerate his crimes
Talk down his ability
The problem with the first bit is that the AFL don't see it that way. They think it is bad, at least that's their public stance particularly on DUI. They're just a bit more understanding than Joe Public. FWIW I don't believe it's THAT bad either. I'm not a drug user, and I'm very careful with my alcohol consumption these days.

The issue is he's in a high performance environment, and it's quite clear that these things have affected him at our club, and more than likely his previous club who let a very talented player walk for a bag of chips.

Second part, yeah he's good at football and to try and talk his talent down is stupid. But he's not performed to the level most of us would think he can. Given his last 12 months one would be reasonable in suggesting he doesn't prepare like an AFL footballer should, because if he did he'd have had a far better career than he has done.

Third part, once again I agree entirely. Clubs should be able to change behaviours of their players. My argument with you and others is that you place faaaaar too much responsibility on the club in that regard. A player has to want and show that he wants to change. In 18 months we've not seen that from Tyson so when does he pay the price for that ?? I don't see him as a criminal in the exaggerated way you suggest I do, what I said was 2 of these things were criminal matters which therefore should be seen as a level slightly above a failed drugs test.

As far as your "kicker" goes, he is a shining example of poor culture at a club. He's a well underperforming player with a history of finding trouble.

As far as your "kicker" goes, he is a shining example of poor culture at a club. He's a well underperforming player with a history of finding trouble.
So has that been our problem do you think? Stengle and players like Stengle misbehaving?

Is that why Dunstall was called in to conduct a review and we over-hauled our off-field structure, including appointing a brand new manager whose specific focus is Culture?

Or is Stengle absolutely nothing to do with our club's culture issues whatsoever?

So has that been our problem do you think? Stengle and players like Stengle misbehaving?

Is that why Dunstall was called in to conduct a review and we over-hauled our off-field structure, including appointing a brand new manager whose specific focus is Culture?

Or is Stengle absolutely nothing to do with our club's culture issues whatsoever?
He's an example, certainly not the only one. I've NEVER said that.

You don't want him to be responsible for his actions ?? He's 23 and has been in the AFL system for 5 years, we can't wipe his arse for him forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an example, certainly not the only one. I've NEVER said that.
He's not an example

He was nothing to do with why we had the review

Nothing to do with any failings uncovered

His off-field problems are a complete side issue

Except that they perhaps highlight a lack of leadership. That his problems arose after Betts left should raise some alarm bells internally at the club. Was Eddie providing something that our club doesn't? I'd be investigating that rather than kicking Stengle out.

You don't want him to be responsible for his actions ?? He's 23 and has been in the AFL system for 5 years, we can't wipe his arse for him forever.
There are set penalties for what he's done. Caution, strike. Those are the penalties the laws apply.

Our main problem was we got Birdbrained.

However, keeping players who have 3 *-ups in just over a year doesn't improve the culture of a club... as it sends a message to players you can do whatever you want & there will be little consequences.

He's not an example

He was nothing to do with why we had the review

Nothing to do with any failings uncovered

His off-field problems are a complete side issue

Except that they perhaps highlight a lack of leadership. That his problems arose after Betts left should raise some alarm bells internally at the club. Was Eddie providing something that our club doesn't? I'd be investigating that rather than kicking Stengle out.

There are set penalties for what he's done. Caution, strike. Those are the penalties the laws apply.
His issues were there before Eddie left, hell his issues are why Richmond let him walk, don't be so naive.

To say he's not an example of poor culture is laughable at best. It's either that or he's a total moron, and that would be harsh.

Hypocrisy thy name is Carl Spackler.

Our main problem was we got Birdbrained.

However, keeping players who have 3 fu**-ups in just over a year doesn't improve the culture of a club... as it sends a message to players you can do whatever you want & there will be little consequences.
Has off-field discipline been the major problem at the club?

His issues were there before Eddie left, hell his issues are why Richmond let him walk, don't be so naive.

To say he's not an example of poor culture is laughable at best. It's either that or he's a total moron, and that would be harsh.

Hypocrisy thy name is Carl Spackler.
By your logic Dustin Martin and Lance Franklin are examples of poor culture

Luke Hodge too

Has off-field discipline been the major problem at the club?
No... I answered that in the post you quoted!

However, it sets a poor precedent if we keep people who around who regularly *-up... whether it be players or administrators.

Luke Hodge too
Poor comparisons, as the likes of Dusty have professional training standards so he can dominate on field.

Stengle turns up to preseason with lower fitness levels than me.

This is about being mentally switched on to get the most of yourself on field.

Last edited:

Luke Hodge too
Dustin Martin was all but out of Richmond before he pleaded to stay.

One thing you continually overlook is these 3 guys bust their arses at training and on game days, they don't let their off field activities affect their performance.

Has Tyson done that ??

Your argument gets worse as it goes on, you might need to stick to cricket for a while.

It's quite laughable you'd compare Franklin, Martin and Hodge with Stengle.

You don't get to where they got to with half arsed preparation. Plus I'm pretty sure Stengle has had as many public incidents in a year as they've had in 900 combined games.

he was caught by the police buying drugs. The way you push the event you’re leaving open whether he’s a dealer or a consumer. That’s shameful stuff.

he was caught by the police buying drugs. The way you push the event you’re leaving open whether he’s a dealer or a consumer. That’s shameful stuff.
Clearly Stengle is a consumer not a dealer.

But there is too much emphasis on the drugs issue, when the biggest problem is his lack of professionalism & mental fortitude to succeed at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back