Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see him as Josh Kennedy from Swans. Will be at his best when he's 25-plus and his body has the brute strength to do what his mind wants.

With a bit more toe.

I see him as Josh Kennedy from Swans. Will be at his best when he's 25-plus and his body has the brute strength to do what his mind wants.

He's better skilled than Kennedy.

He has better evasiveness, burst speed and kicking skills. Kennedy is brute strength.

A few of my non north mates who don’t watch a lot of us were a bit surprised about the LDU “hype” this preseason. They were of the view he was a disappointment (I think largely because how good he was as an U18 player).

It made me look back on his back half of 2020 and when I think my frustration turned to real optimism with Lukey. This run of games (with the odd quiet one) was when it really started to click.

444C1739-CCA7-4208-8E00-C2E75EA06C72.jpeg EB6F35A5-3DF0-49EC-A58D-E6DE23E4EC3B.jpeg 74D77E62-1B6F-4A4B-875B-AC6E1084FE5C.jpeg 578EAB97-4597-4B39-8FBC-8BCB94EA3EDF.jpeg D09F871C-BF75-4261-8B84-0AF21B70D8C6.jpeg

Injury free obviously helps, but opposition supporters never buy that...

Such an intriguing player as imo his two weapons are so different from one another.

His clearance work is amazing but he is not really a contested player. He’s certainly not a “tough” player. But his ability to get the ball out of a stoppage is his bread and butter. This is all borne out of his evasiveness not brutality.

And his field kicking is obviously a real weapon. Suggesting setting up behind the play.

Very unique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such an intriguing player as imo his two weapons are so different from one another.

His clearance work is amazing but he is not really a contested player. He’s certainly not a “tough” player. But his ability to get the ball out of a stoppage is his bread and butter. This is all borne out of his evasiveness not brutality.

And his field kicking is obviously a real weapon. Suggesting setting up behind the play.

Very unique.
As Matthew Lloyd suggested, I feel his most accurate comparison is Chris Judd.
Judd was not considered a tough player in his early (WC) days, more an outside type who was also good in the clearance dept.
Judd obviously added the toughness side to his game when he went to Carlton & was forced to carry that side on his back for almost a decade.
Likewise, I think LDU will add the toughness factor as his career goes on. He certainly has the body type to do it.
I can sorta see the Kennedy comparisons, people are making, although I think he will have more of an outside game, with evasiveness, bust speed & long penetrating kicking.
He certainly has all the tools to be a generational type player. Let’s hope he can get hit the lofty the heights that Judd did... 🤞🤞🤞

Very unique.

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought that evading tackles whilst in possession of the footy is a good thing.

You don't use a Rolls Royce to plough a field.

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought that evading tackles whilst in possession of the footy is a good thing.

You don't use a Rolls Royce to plough a field.

I certainly wasn’t criticising him. I’ve been critical of some efforts that weren’t manic enough in the past and probably will again.

But his strong attributes are beautiful to watch. And so damaging.

I certainly wasn’t criticising him. I’ve been critical of some efforts that weren’t manic enough in the past and probably will again.

But his strong attributes are beautiful to watch. And so damaging.

He backs himself to get away from the contest with the ball.

Evasiveness is mistaken by some as a lack of commitment.

He backs himself to get away from the contest with the ball.

Evasiveness is mistaken by some as a lack of commitment.

I always assume evasiveness suggests you have the ball in hand, whereas the efforts being discussed are when in position to win the ball.

I put it down to repeat shoulder injury.

A few of my non north mates who don’t watch a lot of us were a bit surprised about the LDU “hype” this preseason. They were of the view he was a disappointment (I think largely because how good he was as an U18 player).

It made me look back on his back half of 2020 and when I think my frustration turned to real optimism with Lukey. This run of games (with the odd quiet one) was when it really started to click.

View attachment 1055193View attachment 1055194View attachment 1055195View attachment 1055196View attachment 1055197

Injury free obviously helps, but opposition supporters never buy that...

Some of our own supporters would say the same thing, no great surprise.

I always assume evasiveness suggests you have the ball in hand, whereas the efforts being discussed are when in position to win the ball.

I put it down to repeat shoulder injury.

Can you post any examples of this?

Can you post any examples of this?

I assumed that was the implication. No idea, even if I could find the footage I’d need to pay someone on 5’r to edit the footage for me and frankly, I don’t have the time atm.

Someone who is into spotlighting aberrations for young players will no doubt have some vision - my preference is to be a bit harder on the senior blokes who have been on the list more than 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back