Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Always seems to be a thread every year where posters can give their thoughts on their clubs own players, usually a good resource for player info. With supercoach opening recently I thought it might be a good time to kick it all off.

I'll only do Doggies players that I'd imagine are somewhat relevant.

DEFENDERS:

Caleb Daniel (545k)

I'd imagine Caleb will be a pretty popular player. He's a model of consistency, since moving to half back in 2019 he has only scored under 75 in 2/34 games (68, 71) and going over 115 in 7/34 games (124, 134, 128, 118, 120, 154). With that 154 being in last years final so not attributing to his average. The fact that our defenders try to feed him the ball every time we exit D50 should mean he is rarely going to have a bad score, which the data over the last two years shows. He's not going to reach the levels of Lloyd/Whitfield/Laird I think he is a solid choice as I doubt unless he gets an injury he's going to drop below 500k. A poster recently did discredit his selection by saying his role might change cos he can't actually defend, I'd say that's a ridiculous comment. Since moving to HBF he's won a AA guernsey, a best and fairest and a club most courageous medal. Whether you think he's a good defender or not it's pretty clear he's going to play there in 2021. I'm also going to use this post as a reason to post this montage of Caleb's best kicks of 2020.

Bailey Williams (452k)
IMO Bailey is the only other defender I think even comes close to consideration. Had a breakout year in 2020, averaging 84 and finishing top 5 in the clubs best and fairest. He's always had SC potential, averaging 81 in his third season (2018) including a score of 139, but then only playing 9 games in 2019. Played every game in 2020 and solidified himself as a lock in the dogs back six. He still had some quite low sores last year (50, 59, 68) but he did find some consistency. Between round 7-14 he had scores of 83, 93, 82, 105, 87, 119, 103, 82 for an eight round average of 94. If you think he could keep that kind of form up he'd be an ok option, but there's better options from other teams.

MIDFIELDERS:

I'll just preface this with it's anyones guess how Bev manages our midfield this year. The only player who has a role locked in would be Hunter. So it's probably safe to start with none of these gun mids, but I guess if no one is picking Macrae/Bont/Treloar it's pretty tempting to get them as POD's..

Jack Macrae (650k)
Everyone knows how good at SC this guy is. In the last three seasons he's averaged 127, 123, 121 to be the premier supercoach midfielder over those three seasons. I'm not going to go through his scores over the years cos I dare say if you're reading this you've owned him or played against him in that period. With Treloar coming in it's probably just better to wait and see with him in 2021. In saying that there's nothing worse than when he goes one a massive run and you don't have him (in 2018 I didn't have him, he had a month where he went 141, 189, 156, 177. My opposition had him as captain every one of them scores, it was not fun).

Marcus Bontempelli (623k)
I think Bont is the one to pick from our midfield. He should play more forward next year which given how well his game translates to SC points should see him atleast hold his average and IMO improve it. Last year he had 19 touches vs Sydney for 166 points and 14 touches vs Geelong for 122 points. He just knows how to score SC points for fun. He also scores alright when he has a heap of it... 199 points from 33 touches vs Adelaide and 161 points from 28 touches vs Hawthorn. He's the lowest risk option of all our big midfielders. Basically if you think he'll average 20 touches and a goal a game he'll average 110, I'd back him to average more touches/goals than that.

Lachie Hunter (618k)
Is anyone gonna pick him? Probably not. He is the fittest bloke at the club (which is weird as he has three chins) and is a lock to play wing, he could be alright with reduced interchange. But much better options.

Adam Treloar (587k)
I think Treloar is a good pick. His record speaks for itself with a career average of 101 and an average of 108.9 in his five seasons of Collingwood. Priced true to that average I believe he can average 110+ in the dogs run and gun style midfield. The talk about him being injury prone is laughable. He has that weird double hammy in 2018 which I've never seen before and I doubt I'll ever see again and last year he had a hamstring vs Sydney. Besides that he's basically never been injured.. don't listen to the crap that some people say about him being a walking injury. I did see on twitter (cant find to resource now - sorry0 that Treloar's fav ground to play at stats wise is Etihad. I believe all this points to an improved average this season.

Tom Liberatore (569k), Bailey Smith (494k)

I'm grouping these two together as they're bascially in the same boat. There's too many question marks on their scoring with Treloar coming in. Would have been all over Smith if we didn't get Treloar into the club.

RUCKS:
English will be a good pick when Martin retires but neither of these two are relevant this year except on the role of Dunkley..

Forwards:

Josh Dunkley (560k)

My #1 pick for the dogs. With Danger having an interrupted preseason I will be extremely surprised if he isn't the #1 forward this season. There seems to be some history rewritten about Josh's season last year (mostly be Essendon supporters, shock) where he seemed to attend every ruck contest for the season. Simply not true. In the first three rounds of the season he played pure midfield and scored 67, 131, 128 while being the beast he was in 2019. In that third game he injured his knee and missed 7 games. In the 7 game period he missed Bailey Smith filled the void and Liber returned to his 2014 career best form. So when he returned to the team in round 10 he was forced to be in the second midfield rotation which IMO makes total sense, hence the DPP. I highly doubt that'll be the case this year, especially after his trade request. Last year once he returned and played 70/30 forward/mid he still scored between 87-151 for the remaining games of the season. So even when he does play forward he scores well. I'd expect more scores closer to 151 than 87 in 2021, he's the only dog that I'd say is a lock. If you did have doubts on that whole ruck fiasco than Martin coming to the club would help ease your mind. 110+ average is on the cards this and year, hopefully 116+ like 2019.

Hope that helps some people out. Look forward to reading other posters club previews.

I'll give Crom a go. Sorry if I beat Wayne to it

Def:
-Laird 564k

Training with the midfield group, looked far better in the midfield than at HB as recognised by coach Nicks. A lock for me, if he somehow moves to HB then its still acceptable scoring but I doubt it happens, if so it will be stints. Contract year, $ goes up the more he plays mid. Milera, Hamil, Smith still there to play HB.

-Doedee 457k
Having a good preseason so far, seems to be over the Hamsting injuries. Should play 3rd tall but might need to play KPD if Talia doesnt get up round 1. Might as well go Williams at this price.

-Sholl 343k
-
Club and players pumping him up this season, looks like the Wing spot is his. Our best ball user probably and is able to find the footy. Still young, a little too expensive and not sure he's ready to be a keeper given Wing is a dodgy role for SC.

-Milera 310k
The talent is there, theres been some good development, but inconsistency, role changes and injuries have hampered him. Averaged 90+over half a season playing HB a few years ago but since regressed. Training with the mids apparently, given his body and he hasnt been full training for long, I doubt he sees big mid minutes. His best position is defense and its where he should be really, I expect him to play 80% def 20% midfield or something. For 300k its not the worst if we have rookie problems down back. He is a confidence player, so I'm not sure what he averages. Maybe 80 with upside.

-Hamil 210k
- Showed some good signs last year, copped the double concussion. With a good preseason I expect him to play, although haven't heard anything on him so far. Worth a watch in preseason games. Long hair is gone.

-Mcasey 190k
Still a project, should play every game if available. Signs in the preseason are not good, couldnt get through a time trial and club been silent on his progress.

-Butts 177k
Looks to have improved but we need him to play KPD instead of 3rd tall. Not sure both he and McAsey fit in the same team behind Talia. Probably not going to score much but worth a watch in preseason games.

Worrell 123k
Heard nothing on him. Might debut at some point down back during the year.

Mids
-MCrouch 594k

Interrupted preseason so probably an upgrade target. Back to the form that got him AA in 2017 in the back half of the year. Bit of a **** for disposals and gulling across half back. Seems to pick up minor injuries here and there, but fairly durable when it comes to soft tissue stuff. Certainly has it in to be a 115+ mid. Cant play anywhere else so he just goes from mid to bench, hence why his TOG is generally 75%. Has the bad bye (R14) shared with all the uber premiums.

-Sloane 472k
Good preseason so far, but 110+ is beyond him. Unsure on how much mid time he gets because he should really be playing at least 50% HF. Pass

Hately
- Ah yes the new young crom, already our best AFL performer from the 2018 draft despite being played out of position and playing 10 odd games. Christ. Anyway the numbers have always been good when playing inside mid, 91 in the SANFL in his draft year, 111 in the NEAFL in 2019 and scored 90 and 130 in the giants preseason games last year. He's the only tall+big bodied mid so hopefully Bont and Petracca dont score 200 on us again. Im not sure where he sits at the minute, Crom land seem to like talking about Shoenberg when young mids come up but I think thats because hes a favourite. Hately has still had a few mentions and theyre already calling him jacko. Hately should be miles ahead of Shoenberg unless the gap has seriously closed over 1 preseason. He's competing with Keays, Shoenberg and Milera, with Laird/MCrouch locked. Sloane as well probably. Currently in my team, given he said he chose adelaide because we offered him inside mid time iin contract negotiations suggests he should play there. He can play Wing but he was underwhelming there at GWS (I know this because I was the only kent who had him in 2020 and thus watched and cried), just because he can play there doesnt mean he should, his decision making isnt the greatest at this stage. Would like to hear more positive things and a great preseason game.

Jones
I think he had 3 disposals one game last year playing pure mid. Hope he turns it around.

-Pedlar/Thilt
Last time I heard both were on modified programs. Thilt if he plays will be forward anyway, avoid both.

Berry
-Seems to be the most likely out of all the teenage draftees, put up big numbers in 2019 juniors. Impressing in the preseason, smokey but not certain for round 1. My guess would be he gets a shot later in the season.

Rucks
-ROB

With Norf running Goldstein into the ground until he turns 40, it seems RoB is our next number 3. Having a strong preseason, would take a drop off from Gawn/Grundy for him to be top 2. Maybe next year, could feature if we get a ruck injury. Tap works holds him back from being uber eliee but around the ground stuff is fantastic.

Fwd
-Shoenberg
Seems to be a favourite down there, some great signs and said he will rotate mid/fwd. Highly unlikely to break out yet but worth a look in preseason

-Fog
Key forward and already injured this preseason, pass. Improved endurance though so might up his scoring a bit.

-Rowe
Haven't heard a lot on him but aparently is the first to turn up and last to leave which is a great sign. Won the SANFL colemen, has a great goal sense. I think he plays round 1 ahead of Murphy who is a limited footballer.

-Cook
My favourite from the crom 2020 draft. Tall and skillful, kicked a bag of 5 one time and I think will eventually be out wingman. Currently injured I think, maybe later in the season or next year depending on his progress.

Last edited:

Def:
-Laird 564k

Training with the midfield group, looked far better in the midfield than at HB as recognised by coach Nicks. A lock for me, if he somehow moves to HB then its still acceptable scoring but I doubt it happens, if so it will be stints. Contract year, $ goes up the more he plays mid. Milera, Hamil, Smith still there to play HB.

-Doedee 457k
Having a good preseason so far, seems to be over the Hamsting injuries. Should play 3rd tall but might need to play KPD if Talia doesnt get up round 1. Might as well go Williams at this price.

-Sholl 343k
-
Club and players pumping him up this season, looks like the Wing spot is his. Our best ball user probably and is able to find the footy. Still young, a little too expensive and not sure he's ready to be a keeper given Wing is a dodgy role for SC.

-Milera 310k
The talent is there, theres been some good development, but inconsistency, role changes and injuries have hampered him. Averaged 90+over half a season playing HB a few years ago but since regressed. Training with the mids apparently, given his body and he hasnt been full training for long, I doubt he sees big mid minutes. His best position is defense and its where he should be really, I expect him to play 80% def 20% midfield or something. For 300k its not the worst if we have rookie problems down back. He is a confidence player, so I'm not sure what he averages. Maybe 80 with upside.

-Hamil 210k
- Showed some good signs last year, copped the double concussion. With a good preseason I expect him to play, although haven't heard anything on him so far. Worth a watch in preseason games. Long hair is gone.

-Mcasey 190k
Still a project, should play every game if available. Signs in the preseason are not good, couldnt get through a time trial and club been silent on his progress.

-Butts 177k
Looks to have improved but we need him to play KPD instead of 3rd tall. Not sure both he and McAsey fit in the same team behind Talia. Probably not going to score much but worth a watch in preseason games.

Worrell 123k

Mids
-MCrouch 594k

Interrupted preseason so probably an upgrade target. Back to the form that got him AA in 2017 in the back half of the year. Bit of a **** for disposals and gulling across half back. Seems to pick up minor injuries here and there, but fairly durable when it comes to soft tissue stuff. Certainly has it in to be a 115+ mid. Cant play anywhere else so he just goes from mid to bench, hence why his TOG is generally 75%. Has the bad bye (R14) shared with all the uber premiums.

-Sloane 472k
Good preseason so far, but 110+ is beyond him. Unsure on how much mid time he gets because he should really be playing at least 50% HF. Pass

Hately
- Ah yes the new young crom, already our best AFL performer from the 2018 draft despite being played out of position and playing 10 odd games. Christ. Anyway the numbers have always been good when playing inside mid, 91 in the SANFL in his draft year, 111 in the NEAFL in 2019 and scored 90 and 130 in the giants preseason games last year. He's the only tall+big bodied mid so hopefully Bont and Petracca dont score 200 on us again. Im not sure where he sits at the minute, Crom land seem to like talking about Shoenberg when young mids come up but I think thats because hes a favourite. HAtely has still had a few mentions and theyre already calling him jacko. Hately should be miles ahead of him unless the gap has seriously closed over 1 preseason. He's competing with Keays, Shoenberg and Milera, with Laird/MCrouch locked. Sloane as well probably. Currently in my team, given he said he chose adelaide because we offered him inside mid time iin contract negotiations suggests he should play there. He can play Wing but he was underwhelming there at GWS (I know this because I was the only kent who had him in 2020 and thus watched and cried), just because he can play there doesnt mean he should, his decision making isnt the greatest at this stage. Currently in my team but would like to hear more positive things and a great preseason game.

Jones
I think he had 3 disposals one game last year playing pure mid. Hope he turns it around.

-Pedlar/Thilt
Last time I heard both were on modified programs. Thilt if he plays will be forward anyway, avoid both.

Rucks
-ROB

With Norf running Goldstein into the ground until he turns 40, it seems RoB is our next number 3. Having a strong preseason, would take a drop off from Gawn/Grundy for him to be top 3. Maybe next year, could feature if we get a ruck injury. Tap works holds him back from being uber eltie but around the ground stuff is fantastic.

Fwd
-Shoenberg
Seems to be a favourite down there, should great signs and said he will rotate mid/fwd. Highly unlikely to break out yet but worth a look in preseason

-Fog
Key forward and already injured this preseason, pass. Improved endurance though so might up his scoring a bit.

Rowe?
Berry?
Cook?

Def:
-Laird 564k

-Doedee 457k

-Sholl 343k
-

-Milera 310k

-Hamil 210k

-Mcasey 190k

-Butts 177k

Worrell 123k

Mids
-MCrouch 594k

-Sloane 472k

Hately
- Ah yes the new young crom, already our best AFL performer from the 2018 draft despite being played out of position and playing 10 odd games. Christ. Anyway the numbers have always been good when playing inside mid, 91 in the SANFL in his draft year, 111 in the NEAFL in 2019 and scored 90 and 130 in the giants preseason games last year. He's the only tall+big bodied mid so hopefully Bont and Petracca dont score 200 on us again. Im not sure where he sits at the minute, Crom land seem to like talking about Shoenberg when young mids come up but I think thats because hes a favourite. Hately has still had a few mentions and theyre already calling him jacko. Hately should be miles ahead of Shoenberg unless the gap has seriously closed over 1 preseason. He's competing with Keays, Shoenberg and Milera, with Laird/MCrouch locked. Sloane as well probably. Currently in my team, given he said he chose adelaide because we offered him inside mid time iin contract negotiations suggests he should play there. He can play Wing but he was underwhelming there at GWS (I know this because I was the only kent who had him in 2020 and thus watched and cried), just because he can play there doesnt mean he should, his decision making isnt the greatest at this stage. Would like to hear more positive things and a great preseason game.

Jones

-Pedlar/Thilt

Berry
-Seems to be the most likely out of all the teenage draftees, put up big numbers in 2019 juniors. Impressing in the preseason, smokey but not certain for round 1. My guess would be he gets a shot later in the season.

Rucks
-ROB

With Norf running Goldstein into the ground until he turns 40, it seems RoB is our next number 3. Having a strong preseason, would take a drop off from Gawn/Grundy for him to be top 3. Maybe next year, could feature if we get a ruck injury. Tap works holds him back from being uber eltie but around the ground stuff is fantastic.

Fwd
-Shoenberg
Seems to be a favourite down there, some great signs and said he will rotate mid/fwd. Highly unlikely to break out yet but worth a look in preseason

-Fog

-Rowe
Haven't heard a lot on him but aparently is the first to turn up and last to leave which is a great sign. Won the SANFL colemen, has a great goal sense. I think he plays round 1 ahead of Murphy who is a limited footballer.

-Cook
My favourite from the crom 2020 draft. Tall and skillful, kicked a bag of 5 one time and I think will eventually be out wingman. Currently injured I think, maybe later in the season or next year depending on his progress.
Whats a crom? Is that the measure of potato in Crow land?
...great write up though. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Def:
-Laird 564k

-Doedee 457k

-Sholl 343k
-

-Milera 310k

-Hamil 210k

-Mcasey 190k

-Butts 177k

Worrell 123k

Mids
-MCrouch 594k

-Sloane 472k

Hately

Jones

-Pedlar/Thilt

Berry

Rucks
-ROB

With Norf running Goldstein into the ground until he turns 40, it seems RoB is our next number 3. Having a strong preseason, would take a drop off from Gawn/Grundy for him to be top 2. Maybe next year, could feature if we get a ruck injury. Tap works holds him back from being uber eliee but around the ground stuff is fantastic.

Fwd
-Shoenberg

-Fog

-Rowe

-Cook

I'll allow it 1.gif

-Cook
Had shoulder surgery at the end of the SANFL season .....maybe mid year

Def:
-Laird 564k

-Doedee 457k

-Sholl 343k
-

-Milera 310k

-Hamil 210k

-Mcasey 190k

-Butts 177k

Worrell 123k

Mids
-MCrouch 594k

-Sloane 472k

Hately

Jones

-Pedlar/Thilt

Berry

Rucks
-ROB

Fwd
-Shoenberg

-Fog

-Rowe

-Cook
McAsey couldn’t get through a time trial? How far were they running?

So no one has done Collingwood yet, I will have a go.

In order of relevance:

Grundy - I think everyone priced over 600k is over-priced because of the reasons. If one of them isn't, it is Brodie. Which is not to say that he is under-priced, but he is almost - almost - priced right. This is because he under-performed last year, so the slathering that all the high scorers copped was sort of balanced out by his mild, relative crapness. I think he will return to the kind of form that will warrant a genuine average of 120-130 this year, so I think he's a good pick. I'd have him over Gawn.

Sidebottom - he is mildly over-priced because of the reasons. On the other hand, he was not advantaged by shorter quarters because one of his key strengths is that he is aerobically elite and runs opponents into the ground. This advantage was blunted in 2020. He only played nine games after being naked in Williamstown and then knocking his missus up, which only means that in horseracing parlance he has been 'freshened' in my opinion and is only more likely to dominate his opposition with superior endurance. With Treloar gone and Pendles as old as a pair of real dangly balls, he is going to have more expected of him as a ball-winning mid. Selectable as a forward, I think the chances of him being a top 4 player in his position is about the same as there being another COVID-related interruption to the season. It’s odds on. Safer than Dunkley and Danger IMO.

Howe – Averaged 120 last year, priced well under that. Has been running and sprinting at training. I think it’s entirely possible that by Round 1 he is fine and he knocks up a 150 to start proceedings, like last year. But I am worried about the fact that he isn’t in full contact training yet, so I won’t start him. Every chance he is a top 6 defender in my opinion, depending on how intercept defenders are scored, which is an unknown because let’s be honest, Champion Data are a bit of a joke with their subjective scheiza.

Maynard – I won’t spend long here because I feel that what you see is what you get, although there are theories that he and Crisp get mid time to cover the loss of Treloar, but I am dubious myself. I think he averages at his price, not a bad pick, not a great one.

Crisp – See Maynard.

De Goey – If he hadn’t pulled an ab I would be umming and aahing about starting him. So he did me a favour really. I think that he is a chance to break out into the elite category as a goal-kicking, clearance-winning mid and I won’t rule out getting him in as an upgrade, but I won’t be starting him. He needs to learn to turn a clearance into a decent inside 50 and not a kick in hope. If he does this, the sky is the limit.

Will Kelly – If he is fit by Round 1 he will be selected. He will get games if he is fit, so he is a good option this year at his price IMO. I would have him at F7, not on the field as 35s are going to happen. But with the E on him he could punch out an 80 or two I reckon.

Finlay Macrae – Looks like our best option of the rookies. Everyone is impressed with how he is going about it so far. I don’t think M8/F6 is out of the question, but for me he is M9/F7 because I am a mid-pricing fool. I think he should be in absolutely everybody’s squad of 30.

Trent Bianco – I’m not promising that he will be selected for Round 1, but I reckon he’s a great chance, and since we play on Friday night we will all know. Have him in your squad, ready to piff if he doesn’t make it. But I reckon he will.

Nathan Murphy – It looks like he is a chance to get a game in Round 1 and if he does, it will be on a wing. If he is named you have to have him IMO because he has a few preseasons under his belt and might play multiple games, plus on the wing a 70-90 type score isn’t out of the question. And again, we play Friday night so you can make sure he is in before you commit.

Isaac Chugg – I personally think that you can have this guy even if he doesn’t get a game, because he is minimally priced and has a great name. The bonus is that he is considered a chance for a run. He’s been exceeding expectations in intra-club matches by quite a bit and there’s a buzz around him. Chuck him at D8 and look at a Laurie or Cox for a tasty swing combo.

Brayden Sier – He’s a 310k very speculative mid-priced mid. He is going to get an opportunity to step up into the breach left by Treloar and an aging Pendles. He is either going to take it or not take it. I have him at M8. If he takes it I will be laughing, if he doesn’t he will be one of the first guys I upgrade. What will be will be. He was made to earn his spot last year, eventually did, scored a 60 odd and then a 90 odd and then did a quad. Doh. If he hadn’t, I think he’d have done enough to be at a price that made him irrelevant this year. But at 310k I reckon he’s worth a shout this year.

Taylor Adams – I love him, but I wouldn’t go there. He’s priced right up at his potential and he might even get tagged (though Sidey’s probably more susceptible to it)

I think that’s it. If I’ve forgotten anyone, throw stuff at me

Always seems to be a thread every year where posters can give their thoughts on their clubs own players, usually a good resource for player info. With supercoach opening recently I thought it might be a good time to kick it all off.

I'll only do Doggies players that I'd imagine are somewhat relevant.

DEFENDERS:

Caleb Daniel (545k)

I'd imagine Caleb will be a pretty popular player. He's a model of consistency, since moving to half back in 2019 he has only scored under 75 in 2/34 games (68, 71) and going over 115 in 7/34 games (124, 134, 128, 118, 120, 154). With that 154 being in last years final so not attributing to his average. The fact that our defenders try to feed him the ball every time we exit D50 should mean he is rarely going to have a bad score, which the data over the last two years shows. He's not going to reach the levels of Lloyd/Whitfield/Laird I think he is a solid choice as I doubt unless he gets an injury he's going to drop below 500k. A poster recently did discredit his selection by saying his role might change cos he can't actually defend, I'd say that's a ridiculous comment. Since moving to HBF he's won a AA guernsey, a best and fairest and a club most courageous medal. Whether you think he's a good defender or not it's pretty clear he's going to play there in 2021. I'm also going to use this post as a reason to post this montage of Caleb's best kicks of 2020.

Bailey Williams (452k)
IMO Bailey is the only other defender I think even comes close to consideration. Had a breakout year in 2020, averaging 84 and finishing top 5 in the clubs best and fairest. He's always had SC potential, averaging 81 in his third season (2018) including a score of 139, but then only playing 9 games in 2019. Played every game in 2020 and solidified himself as a lock in the dogs back six. He still had some quite low sores last year (50, 59, 68) but he did find some consistency. Between round 7-14 he had scores of 83, 93, 82, 105, 87, 119, 103, 82 for an eight round average of 94. If you think he could keep that kind of form up he'd be an ok option, but there's better options from other teams.

MIDFIELDERS:

I'll just preface this with it's anyones guess how Bev manages our midfield this year. The only player who has a role locked in would be Hunter. So it's probably safe to start with none of these gun mids, but I guess if no one is picking Macrae/Bont/Treloar it's pretty tempting to get them as POD's..

Jack Macrae (650k)
Everyone knows how good at SC this guy is. In the last three seasons he's averaged 127, 123, 121 to be the premier supercoach midfielder over those three seasons. I'm not going to go through his scores over the years cos I dare say if you're reading this you've owned him or played against him in that period. With Treloar coming in it's probably just better to wait and see with him in 2021. In saying that there's nothing worse than when he goes one a massive run and you don't have him (in 2018 I didn't have him, he had a month where he went 141, 189, 156, 177. My opposition had him as captain every one of them scores, it was not fun).

Marcus Bontempelli (623k)
I think Bont is the one to pick from our midfield. He should play more forward next year which given how well his game translates to SC points should see him atleast hold his average and IMO improve it. Last year he had 19 touches vs Sydney for 166 points and 14 touches vs Geelong for 122 points. He just knows how to score SC points for fun. He also scores alright when he has a heap of it... 199 points from 33 touches vs Adelaide and 161 points from 28 touches vs Hawthorn. He's the lowest risk option of all our big midfielders. Basically if you think he'll average 20 touches and a goal a game he'll average 110, I'd back him to average more touches/goals than that.

Lachie Hunter (618k)
Is anyone gonna pick him? Probably not. He is the fittest bloke at the club (which is weird as he has three chins) and is a lock to play wing, he could be alright with reduced interchange. But much better options.

Adam Treloar (587k)
I think Treloar is a good pick. His record speaks for itself with a career average of 101 and an average of 108.9 in his five seasons of Collingwood. Priced true to that average I believe he can average 110+ in the dogs run and gun style midfield. The talk about him being injury prone is laughable. He has that weird double hammy in 2018 which I've never seen before and I doubt I'll ever see again and last year he had a hamstring vs Sydney. Besides that he's basically never been injured.. don't listen to the crap that some people say about him being a walking injury. I did see on twitter (cant find to resource now - sorry0 that Treloar's fav ground to play at stats wise is Etihad. I believe all this points to an improved average this season.

Tom Liberatore (569k), Bailey Smith (494k)
I'm grouping these two together as they're bascially in the same boat. There's too many question marks on their scoring with Treloar coming in. Would have been all over Smith if we didn't get Treloar into the club.

RUCKS:
English will be a good pick when Martin retires but neither of these two are relevant this year except on the role of Dunkley..

Forwards:

Josh Dunkley (560k)

My #1 pick for the dogs. With Danger having an interrupted preseason I will be extremely surprised if he isn't the #1 forward this season. There seems to be some history rewritten about Josh's season last year (mostly be Essendon supporters, shock) where he seemed to attend every ruck contest for the season. Simply not true. In the first three rounds of the season he played pure midfield and scored 67, 131, 128 while being the beast he was in 2019. In that third game he injured his knee and missed 7 games. In the 7 game period he missed Bailey Smith filled the void and Liber returned to his 2014 career best form. So when he returned to the team in round 10 he was forced to be in the second midfield rotation which IMO makes total sense, hence the DPP. I highly doubt that'll be the case this year, especially after his trade request. Last year once he returned and played 70/30 forward/mid he still scored between 87-151 for the remaining games of the season. So even when he does play forward he scores well. I'd expect more scores closer to 151 than 87 in 2021, he's the only dog that I'd say is a lock. If you did have doubts on that whole ruck fiasco than Martin coming to the club would help ease your mind. 110+ average is on the cards this and year, hopefully 116+ like 2019.

Hope that helps some people out. Look forward to reading other posters club previews.

have just re-read this, a very good summary

my estimates

Bont & Macrae 120+
Dunks 105-115
Treloar 100-110
Helmet, Baz, Hunter 95-105
Libba 90-100
English & Williams 90ish

Lipinski a potential mini breakout - think he will go at least 90 but 100ish wouldn't surprise

I like Vandermeer as well, has the potential to go 80+ (love his speed & penetrating kick)

Smokey rookie is McNeil @ $102k, 20yo mid with mature body, played full season of SANFL last year including being one of the best on in the GF. Have no idea how he gets a game though.

I think West's best chance of getting into the 22 is a pressure small forward so don't think he is SC relevant yet.

Bont & Macrae 120+
Dunks 105-115
Treloar 100-110
Libba 90-100
English & Williams 90ish

Lipinski a potential mini breakout - think he will go at least 90 but 100ish wouldn't surprise

I like Vandermeer as well, has the potential to go 80+ (love his speed & penetrating kick)

That's 12 players getting 1200 points if they all play at once, leaving only 450 points @ 45 for the remaining 10 players if total 3300 points are shared.

Bont & Macrae 120+
Dunks 105-115
Treloar 100-110
Libba 90-100
English & Williams 90ish

That's 12 players getting 1200 points if they all play at once, leaving only 450 points @ 45 for the remaining 10 players if total 3300 points are shared.

perhaps my glasses are a tad rosy

have just re-read this, a very good summary

my estimates

Bont & Macrae 120+
Dunks 105-115
Treloar 100-110
Libba 90-100
English & Williams 90ish

Smokey rookie is McNeil @ $102k, 20yo mid with mature body, played full season of SANFL last year including being one of the best on in the GF. Have no idea how he gets a game though.

I think West's best chance of getting into the 22 is a pressure small forward so don't think he is SC relevant yet.

perhaps my glasses are a tad rosy

ave.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back