Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hogan money went to Mundy, who was without a contract. Before Hogan left Fremantle's salary cap position was actually not great.
Don’t listen to the media.

Fremantle has a lot of cap space.

Dockers offered more money than the Eagles for Kelly.

We moved Hogans contract.

Fremantle has played a lot rookies in the last 5 years.

Dockers last year had the youngest list.

A few years we offered J Mccovern and Yeo huge contracts.

The 6pm mob are talking out of the cake hole.

Last edited:
Whatever that means? OK.

The Kelly deal, as you have correctly identified, has rooted West Coast's Salary cap, but not by itself. It was already stuffed.

"McGovern was reportedly courted by a number of clubs, with offers of up to $1.2 million per season for six seasons tabled to lure him away from the Eagles."

The Nic Nat ,McGovern (7), Kelly (29), Gaff (19) deals are pretty well known. What you may not know is that Elliott Yeo (23) Luke Shuey (34) and Jack Darling (47) are all in the top 50 paid players in the AFL. I know - couldn't believe it myself, but here we are.

To put that into perspective, and back on topic, Patrick Cripps (11) and Jack Martin (5) were the only Blues players in the Yop 50

Freo have 1.

Wasnt a big chunk of the NicNat money AFL Ambassador money ?

Cripps is staying unless for family reasons.
I agree.

Cripps has said several times that he's very excited by what the blues are building, and it's more important for him to stick through the tough times and have success later. He has also said that although he is from interstate, Melbourne has become his 2nd home and he's developed many great relationships here.

Cripps doesn't seem like the type to leave to chase a flag. If he was to leave, it would be to support his partner through her mental heath troubles.

Cripps isn’t even from Perth. His family and home are in Geraldton, so it’s not like he’d be spending any more time at home if he went to Freo, it would just be a shorter trip in the off season.

If he’s going to a club for a less money he’d want to go to a surefire contender.

West Coast already won their opportunistic premiership, but won’t compete again with this list IMO.

Freo offer him a chance to line his pockets and provide him with a better chance at a flag with the squad they are putting together.

salty Vic narrative

Don’t listen to the media.

Fremantle has a lot of cap space.

Dockers offered more money than the Eagles for Kelly.

We moved Hogans contract.

Fremantle has played a lot rookies in the last 5 years.

Dockers last year had the youngest list.

A few years we offered J Mccovern and Yeo huge contracts.

The 6pm mob are talking out of the cake hole.
Also other forwards in McCarthy and Matera too. Both were on some money at the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true, but everything Crippa has been saying suggests he'll stay at Carlton.
Yes of course he is going to say that, but I don't feel nervous about him leaving.
I expect him to stay with Carlton but every single footballer says things like that during the season, except Phil Davis and he was savaged for it

I expect him to stay with Carlton but every single footballer says things like that during the season, except Phil Davis and he was savaged for it

I don't think the AFL is ready for what the NRL does, and announces player movement the year before.

Agree 100%

I'd like them to go after Jeremy Sharp at GC, or perhaps Will Powell as well.

Ryan, Barrass and Allen aren't OOC on 2021, and the salary cap will go up next season, and the season after that.

I'm not huge on us going all in for Cripps, but if we don't go after him, or he doesn't choose to come to us, it won't be because of our cap.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that.

The current broadcast rights deal runs until 2024, so there won’t be any new tv money coming in.

The AFL now have a loan to pay back, which is why both the TPP and soft caps were slashed by the AFL for this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the TPP is cut again for next year, or frozen until loan is payed back, which the AFL is intent on doing as fast as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back