AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That game really felt like the umps had been told to curb our dominance as it wasn't a good look for other teams.

Some of the calls and non calls were absolutely baffling.
Yeah was fairly bs some of the umpiring towards us

thought with home ground advantage we’d get the rub of the green

but instead 22 saints frees to only our 10
And we deserved a s**t ton more holding the balls that they let slide

Hopefully Duffin in for Wright this week

Last edited:
Wanted to jump the fence when they took that mark off Viv for a push out. Was perfect use of the body.
So bad it was the only time the commentators found fault with a free against North.

Saw most of the game and the girls played well. Umpiring was atrocious. Nice to see some system in their game and marking much better. Crocks doing a great job so far and the girls skills definitely improving.

Good to see Crock say that Jess Duffin should be available for selection.

Easy to forget she’s in our best handful of players when fit.

The best AFLW sides (which include NMFC and not StK) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The worst AFLW sides (which includes Geelong)

The good games (NM, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Freo) are going to be great but the ordinary ones look really ordinary. Watching some Suns players literally dancing at 3/4 time to the music being played at the ground whilst their score was still 0.0-0 looked awful.

The best AFLW sides (which include NMFC and not StK) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The worst AFLW sides (which includes Geelong)

The good games (NM, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Freo) are going to be great but the ordinary ones look really ordinary. Watching some Suns players literally dancing at 3/4 time to the music being played at the ground whilst their score was still 0.0-0 looked awful.
It'll be ten plus years before the whole league is of a professional standard.

Absolutely. It isn't professional. None of these players are making a living from this two-month season. The best girls would have played with the boys until they were 12 or so, and then had nothing until they were 18 or adults. The standard is pretty good considering the lack of pathway to a nationally covered level. The depth, not so much. To have a 14-team national competition right now is kind of unrealistic. Anyway, I'm not here to bag out women's footy. I've coached and umpired women's footy and am fully supportive of it. I just think the AFL have gone too hard too soon on it.

Linking all that to today's game though, Peta Searle is actually right. In a competition so shallow in depth, where enough talent to cover 6 teams is spread over 14, that so many of the best players are all at the same club/handful of clubs is actually not good for the competition.

And that was always the intention. It was always a generational project. The difference in quality between the girls that are 18-21 and who have had 5+ years of elite development pathways in their teens and a majority of the 25+ year olds who were forced to take sometimes 10+ years off footy because they didn't have the same opportunities is incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. It isn't professional. None of these players are making a living from this two-month season. The best girls would have played with the boys until they were 12 or so, and then had nothing until they were 18 or adults. The standard is pretty good considering the lack of pathway to a nationally covered level. The depth, not so much. To have a 14-team national competition right now is kind of unrealistic. Anyway, I'm not here to bag out women's footy. I've coached and umpired women's footy and am fully supportive of it. I just think the AFL have gone too hard too soon on it.

Linking all that to today's game though, Peta Searle is actually right. In a competition so shallow in depth, where enough talent to cover 6 teams is spread over 14, that so many of the best players are all at the same club/handful of clubs is actually not good for the competition.
This is a good point, but it's not the only consideration when thinking about the expansion. I agree that the quality would obviously be better with fewer teams, but the commercial and expansion opportunity for clubs is way too great and I think it was them pushing expansion more so than the AFL. Across the board, not just in the AFL, women's sports offers enormous growth potential in terms of increased revenue from sponsorship for example and the opportunity to attract new fans. And the quality, at least imo and it would seem in general in the target audience, is still high enough that it's attracting viewers and attendance. I think a slight drop in the overall quality is seen as enough of a sacrifice for these other benefits that come from having more teams.

she is wrong because there were no gifts, any team could have made a connection with existing womens sides, any team could have elected to be connected with tassie for those benefits. We created our own connection, and they weren't giving us a team without including tasssie.

The AFL connection brings a lot of unfortunate comparisons. It's our first fully functioning national women's amateur league. There may never be the commercial interest for a professional league but pathways and development will increase the quantity of proper footballers eventually. Until then we'll have some cracking players, games and teams but we'll also have to endure a lot of attempted handballs that never meet the other hand, let alone another footballer.

she is wrong because there were no gifts, any team could have made a connection with existing womens sides, any team could have elected to be connected with tassie for those benefits. We created our own connection, and they weren't giving us a team without including tasssie.

Take the NMFC glasses off for a minute. North didn't do anything wrong. In fact, our commitment to women's football over a long period of time, was shamefully unrecognised by the AFL when AFLW came into being and, whilst we haven't won anything yet (we're not even top of the ladder), we're reaping the benefits over those who just thought "let's have a team of girls". In term's of women's football, North have set the standard and any success we get is well earned.

But, for the whole concept, for the competition, having a team as committed and professional as us competing against a team whose players dance at 3/4 time when they trail by 40 points and haven't scored isn't great.

Take the NMFC glasses off for a minute. North didn't do anything wrong. In fact, our commitment to women's football over a long period of time, was shamefully unrecognised by the AFL when AFLW came into being and, whilst we haven't won anything yet (we're not even top of the ladder), we're reaping the benefits over those who just thought "let's have a team of girls". In term's of women's football, North have set the standard and any success we get is well earned.

But, for the whole concept, for the competition, having a team as committed and professional as us competing against a team whose players dance at 3/4 time when they trail by 40 points and haven't scored isn't great.
I don't actually see the dancing as that bad to be honest. It depends on interpretation. Some interpret it as not caring, being unprofessional, that they aren't focused. If they're dancing instead of listening to instruction, sure, then they're like a class clown.

But up to that point, everything they were doing was not working at all, no points scored. If dancing helps with the mental reset, stops the rut that had already occurred for 3 quarters of the game. In some way stops the internal voices "geez we ******* suck", then dance.

While I get your point on the dancing, didn’t Melbourne players play hide the fingers up the clacker at 3/4 time when fighting for a finals spot?

I don't actually see the dancing as that bad to be honest. It depends on interpretation. Some interpret it as not caring, being unprofessional, that they aren't focused. If they're dancing instead of listening to instruction, sure, then they're like a class clown.

But up to that point, everything they were doing was not working at all, no points scored. If dancing helps with the mental reset, stops the rut that had already occurred for 3 quarters of the game. In some way stops the internal voices "geez we ******* suck", then dance.

Yeah. Nah.

You're playing in a competition that is being broadcast nationally and that is wanting to be taken as full-on. It was a poor look. It was only a couple of players but it resembled junior footy when a couple of kids playing on the forward line of a team getting spanked spend a quarter picking the grass or rolling in the mud.

Yeah. Nah.

You're playing in a competition that is being broadcast nationally and that is wanting to be taken as full-on. It was a poor look. It was only a couple of players but it resembled junior footy when a couple of kids playing on the forward line of a team getting spanked spend a quarter picking the grass or rolling in the mud.
Yea i appeciate you see it that way, im just saying its not the only way to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back