Women's Footy AFLW Round 2. Brisbane v Gold Coast, Sunday 2:10pm.

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

2 things. First, what a great win! Absolutely smashed them. And secondly, I was sweating like a pig from just sitting on my arse, imagine the torture having to run around would have been! Nice work ladies. Well fought given the horrible conditions. Top of the ladder now.

Beat me to it.

I did a bit of mowing early today and a general yard tidy up and by 10.30 I was feeling sorry for myself, moaning and whining about the inhumane conditions under which one had to suffer

Then i watched the ladies play at 2.15 on the AFL App with a cool drink in my hand and a fan blasting air over me.

Felt like a right wimp I did

Had to laugh... watching the Adelaide-GWS game today. The question was asked amongst the commentators to make an early call who would win the flag, Adelaide or North Melbourne. No mention of the Lions. The more things change...

Had to laugh... watching the Adelaide-GWS game today. The question was asked amongst the commentators to make an early call who would win the flag, Adelaide or North Melbourne. No mention of the Lions. The more things change...

Really shits me that they NEVER seem to think the Lionesses are any good and (with the exception of 2019) even when we contest finals every year! North's game against the saints was fairly ordinary and the crows played possibly the worst of the expansion clubs in the Eagles last week. But maybe such blindness works in our favour? Cos it means the other teams underestimate us too and we don't get looked at too closely and manage to sneak wins with a skill level they think we aren't capable of and therefore don't expect.

Ummm... Fremantle anyone.

I’m not normally the vindictive type, but that was freaking awesome to watch. I really wanted us to bury the Suns once the hiding was on.

I had no problems with the suns being brought into the comp initially until McKenna crapped on about how the Bears ruined football on the coast and the suns were running an uphill battle to change the perception then I just wanted them gone. It fills me with glee to see such a dud franchise get their arse handed to them by a superior side like ours.

As you can see I have no problem with being vindictive because some teams simply deserve it.

I had no problems with the suns being brought into the comp initially until McKenna crapped on about how the Bears ruined football on the coast and the suns were running an uphill battle to change the perception then I just wanted them gone. It fills me with glee to see such a dud franchise get their arse handed to them by a superior side like ours.

As you can see I have no problem with being vindictive because some teams simply deserve it.
oh, I don’t have a problem with the Suns. I always knew we were going to lose a heap of players to them when expansion happened.

This was about some of their fans talking their team up during their initial preseason.

I’m pleasantly surprised we’ve rebounded as fast as we have after the expansion years. I thought it would take us longer to be competitive again.

And like many, I’m so over the Vic bias in the media and commentary.

Ummm... Fremantle anyone.

What about them? They good if that's what you're asking.

I was more commenting on the continued omission of us as a contender. Been happening since the first season.

What about them? They good if that's what you're asking.

I was more commenting on the continued omission of us as a contender. Been happening since the first season.
Yeah, that was my point following your post about the commentary. Left out Fremantle, who are probably the strongest team, and clear favourite.

Yeah, that was my point following your post about the commentary. Left out Fremantle, who are probably the strongest team, and clear favourite.
A bit early to have Freemantle as clear favourites for the premiership.
With no fixture announced even for the next round i expect the AFLW to follow the AFL rule of choosing the right matchups in the next few rounds
I fully expect our Cats game to be sent further down the fixture list. Same with Adelaide & North if they were scheduled to meet teams in the bottom 5
I expect some match ups of the top eight this week travel permitting
Another few rounds and we will have a better guide to who has the goods to sit in the top 4

To "clean up the mess left by the Bears" he said. I remember it vividly, and had very similar "yeah nah f**k you guys now" vibes. If there was one thing that really spurred on the Q-Clash rivalry for mine it was nothing that the AFL has tried to manufacture, instead it was Bluey's single naive statement. Never mind the Suns wouldn't have been there had it not been for the Lions dominance convincing the AFL it's time for an expansion club in the region. You're welcome for the employment, Guy.

Started watching the AFLW more this season. Enjoying it. Perhaps it’s just seeing a LIONS side play with such enthusiasm. The standard appears to be improving. Not sure if it was just the quality of the opposition yesterday, but the running to receive and assist team mates was impressive. Might have been converted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit early to have Freemantle as clear favourites for the premiership.
With no fixture announced even for the next round i expect the AFLW to follow the AFL rule of choosing the right matchups in the next few rounds
I fully expect our Cats game to be sent further down the fixture list. Same with Adelaide & North if they were scheduled to meet teams in the bottom 5
I expect some match ups of the top eight this week travel permitting
Another few rounds and we will have a better guide to who has the goods to sit in the top 4
Fremantle have widely been discussed as the flag favourite after going undefeated last season, not losing any players, and adding more of WA’s top young talent to their list.

It’s got nothing to do with their draw, and everything to do with their list.

Much like Richmond has widely been discussed as the flag favourite every year since their first flag.

Fremantle have widely been discussed as the flag favourite after going undefeated last season, not losing any players, and adding more of WA’s top young talent to their list.

It’s got nothing to do with their draw, and everything to do with their list.

Much like Richmond has widely been discussed as the flag favourite every year since their first flag.
I didn't say it has anything to do with Freemantle's draw.
I said it is too early to have them as clear favourites for the flag.
What i mentioned at 9.50am about the draw came true late this afternoon with the AFL/AFLW adjusting the draw to even up the competition and maximize crowds
The top six teams will meet and the Freemantle v Adelaide game should be a good contest
If Freemantle continue winning then they will shorten in betting for the flag and they may very well go on to win the premiership
The only game that did not fall into place on what i thought might happen was Bulldogs 7th v Saints 8th
Instead it is the Saints 8th v Carlton 9th still a close enough matchup
With this type of draw it gives the bottom teams a chance of a win. And a win gives teams a bit of confidence
I expect more of the same as the season unfolds. The only thing off the table is teams won't double up as not enough games for that to happen

Not sure what Richmond AFL has to do with AFLW games that have seen clubs stripped of multiple good players for years just to make new teams viable

Ladbrokes betting for AFLW premiership after round 2- North $3.75, Freemantle $4.00, Adelaide $6.00, Lions $7.00, Melbourne & Collingwood $8.00

Last edited:
Watching the replay and one of the things that's striking me is what a level performance it was. Even though there was an odd shortage of goalscorers - seriously, Wardlaw, Davidson and Bodey were our only goalscorers. But players like Svarc, Dawes, Ellenger, Hodder who kept getting involved and doing good things. Hodder & Svarc in particular were really exciting. Grider's really come along over the off-season and starting to push up the ground a lot more. I was also impressed with the sheer number of times our players just flung themselves into a contest just to create an advantage for a teammate. That won us a lot of contests. All in all a fine performance :D

I didn't say it has anything to do with Freemantle's draw.
I said it is too early to have them as clear favourites for the flag.
What i mentioned at 9.50am about the draw came true late this afternoon with the AFL/AFLW adjusting the draw to even up the competition and maximize crowds
The top six teams will meet and the Freemantle v Adelaide game should be a good contest
If Freemantle continue winning then they will shorten in betting for the flag and they may very well go on to win the premiership
The only game that did not fall into place on what i thought might happen was Bulldogs 7th v Saints 8th
Instead it is the Saints 8th v Carlton 9th still a close enough matchup
With this type of draw it gives the bottom teams a chance of a win. And a win gives teams a bit of confidence
I expect more of the same as the season unfolds. The only thing off the table is teams won't double up as not enough games for that to happen

Not sure what Richmond AFL has to do with AFLW games that have seen clubs stripped of multiple good players for years just to make new teams viable

Ladbrokes betting for AFLW premiership after round 2- North $3.75, Freemantle $4.00, Adelaide $6.00, Lions $7.00, Melbourne & Collingwood $8.00

Odds wise I'd put us on even footing with freo.

Back