Unpopular Musical Opinions

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
That video does not look like 1982. Going by their clothes it looks late 1960's or early 70's. I think I remember Lou Gramm doing a cover of this song. Not sure I ever seen this video before.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hair Metal is an unfairly maligned genre and many of the bands associated with it were already maturing their sound by the time grunge made it big and killed it off. There's some very good rock music to come out of that late 80s to mid 90s period from groups that were already seen as on the out, probably better than the stuff released when popular.

Some great guitar playing but I can't have it generally speaking. That said I'd have been in a hair metal band for the birds that's for sure ha ha

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Apart from John Belushi dying, what influenced your selection of 1982?
That was the year when I - at age 13 - first got hooked on music big time (if you don't count getting into Elvis when I was 8). So I started with very early Rolling Stones, then The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Zeppelin, a lot of the old blues guys...and it went on from there. So I was exploring all these musical giants in my own time, while hearing what was in the charts at the time at school, and I would ask myself (frequently) what happened between the early to mid '70s to the early to mid '80s for such a dramatic decline in the quality of the music that's being played on the radio?

That's why I said 1982. In actual fact I think it was far earlier than that.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
That video does not look like 1982. Going by their clothes it looks late 1960's or early 70's. I think I remember Lou Gramm doing a cover of this song. Not sure I ever seen this video before.
That Small Faces video was from the '60s. At a guess either 1966 or '67.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cannot stand Pink Floyd but so many people of so many generations seem to love them.
I remember I was overseas late at night and needed to get a taxi ride for about a hour ride. The taxi driver asked it it ok if he plays a Pink Floyd album on the journey. I tell him * no or you lose me as a customer right now. I kind of felt an a-hole but ****ed if I was going to pay to suffer to music I cannot stand for that long a trip.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cannot stand Pink Floyd but so many people of so many generations seem to love them.
I remember I was overseas late at night and needed to get a taxi ride for about a hour ride. The taxi driver asked it it ok if he plays a Pink Floyd album on the journey. I tell him fu** no or you lose me as a customer right now. I kind of felt an a-hole but f’ed if I was going to pay to suffer to music I cannot stand for that long a trip.
While I don't put them with the acts I truly despise, I've never understood what it is about them that so many people love. As far as their musicianship goes, they're clearly talented, but I find most of their music over-long, monotonous and, most of all, boring. I've tried to get into them but I just can't.

Your taxi ride reminded me of The Dude's in The Big Lebowski.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
That Small Faces video was from the '60s. At a guess either 1966 or '67.
I do not get why in 60's I find some videos in black and white and others in colour.
Example. I seen this recently from 1967. Never knew it was a Bee Gees song.

Same year in colour for another song.

What places did not have colour tv production in late 1960's?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
While I don't put them with the acts I truly despise, I've never understood what it is about them that so many people love. As far as their musicianship goes, they're clearly talented, but I find most of their music over-long, monotonous and, most of all, boring. I've tried to get into them but I just can't.

Your taxi ride reminded me of The Dude's in The Big Lebowski.
Might have to check the movie out to see what that is.
Yeah, I find their music boring and morose so never feel any appeal to it at all.
I remember as a kid some song of theirs was on Countdown. Another Brick in the Wall, I remember it was popular but I ******* hated it and torture if I even heard 30 seconds of it.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember I was overseas late at night and needed to get a taxi ride for about a hour ride. The taxi driver asked it it ok if he plays a Pink Floyd album on the journey. I tell him fu** no or you lose me as a customer right now. I kind of felt an a-hole but f’ed if I was going to pay to suffer to music I cannot stand for that long a trip.
You are on drugs. Or if your not maybe you should be, I ....dunno...your not right.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
That was the year when I - at age 13 - first got hooked on music big time (if you don't count getting into Elvis when I was 8). So I started with very early Rolling Stones, then The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Zeppelin, a lot of the old blues guys...and it went on from there. So I was exploring all these musical giants in my own time, while hearing what was in the charts at the time at school, and I would ask myself (frequently) what happened between the early to mid '70s to the early to mid '80s for such a dramatic decline in the quality of the music that's being played on the radio?

That's why I said 1982. In actual fact I think it was far earlier than that.
Here's my take.
1. The rise in popularity of FM radio. With FM radio bands didn't have to pump out the obligatory hit single airplay on AM radio. FM stations would play entire albums so bands could be more indulgent with their product.
2. The rise of the studio album. The time spent by bands making their music was matched by the money spent by record companies making them. There was only ever a finite amount of cash to go around.
3. The rise of MTV. The songs often took a backseat to the video.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I do not get why in 60's I find some videos in black and white and others in colour.

I think a lot of the TV programs, particularly in the UK, continued to film in black and white because that's what most people had in their lounge rooms. Not too many colour sets in the late '60s.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Might have to check the movie out to see what that is.
It's one of the funniest films of all time.

Just substitute The Eagles for Pink Floyd (my feeling for the former is perfectly summed up by The Dude).

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh

Colour TV started in Britain in July 1967. I guess that's why there is a mixture of black and white and colour videos. Lots of Australian music videos were in black and white much later because we didn't get colour here until 1975. To give you some idea of the progress of technology here, when TV broadcasting began in 1956, the majority of homes had ice chests to keep food cool, with a weekly (twice in summer) visit from the iceman to supply ice. Refrigerators were only starting to become popular. Most homes opted for the refrigerator before a TV or a phone.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Nah, they were already around. It's more a collective dumbing down of popular music. And the more and more people hear it and get used to it the more it's accepted as the norm.
I believe it's more likely that you could blame Roger Linn in the 80's with his programmable drum machine that used samples and his midi sampler machine that allowed sampling and sequencing. That led music to be produced by people who couldn't play an instrument. Sampling and sequencing became the foundation for Hip Hop and that lead to Crap Rap music and the general decline in the quality of musicianship and the monotony of popular music nowadays. Autotune is another invention that has enabled people who can't sing in key without it, like Katy Perry, Justin Beiber, Snoop Dog, Billie Ellish, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Nicky Minaj to establish successful careers as singers.

Last edited:
Back