Match Day Attendances - how will it work this year?

Good morning beautiful people, does anyone know, or has anyone heard how match day ticketing is gonna work this year? My understanding is that it may only be open for members and will be sold on some type of "tiered" system? What have others heard?

aacc7ec260761839f94374e32874ecc4.gif

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Todays news.
Looks Grim except for Minnow Clubs.

Victorian clubs and venues fear only members will have access to most AFL games this year due to ongoing COVID restrictions
Unless the AFL is given the all-clear from the State Government, the Victorian general public could be locked out of most games this year. Here’s why.

Jon Ralph

Victorian clubs and venues fear only members will be able to gain access to most AFL games this year unless grounds are able to raise capacity to 75 per cent early in the season.
The AFL is adamant it will be guided by health advice from the Victorian government over crowd capacities for major sport, which is currently at 50 per cent in Melbourne.
South Australia and New South Wales have this week increased crowd capacities to 75 per cent, but the first Victorian community transmission in a month puts local hopes on hold.

Carlton and Richmond will split the gate takings from a Round 1 season opener that would normally see them bring home $1 million in combined profit from that game alone.
But the difference between playing with only 50 per cent capacity and 75 per cent capacity is significant.
If only 50,000 fans are allowed for marquee games at the MCG, 23,000 of those tickets will go to MCC and AFL members, even when those groups are only being handed half their normal capacity.
Around 2000 corporates would also be allowed into areas that generate lucrative revenue for the competition.
That would leave around 20,000 club members, who have reserved seats, for the home team, with as few as 5000 away club members having the chance to purchase reserved seats.
It is increasingly likely all Melbourne venues will have to be fully ticketed for contact tracing purposes with general admission walk-up fans not possible in 2021.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will liaise with the state government in the weeks leading into the season and is expected to push for three-quarter capacity if the current community transmission can be restricted.

The AFL runs Marvel Stadium, and will hope the MCC’s direct experience with a COVID-positive patron at the Boxing Day Test gives the state government comfort it can allow 75 per cent of patrons.
During what amounted to a test case, it was discovered 10 days later that a COVID-positive person had visited a day of the Boxing Day test.
The MCC was able to get the list of 8000 people who had been in the area to Victorian health authorities within 10 minutes, with no further spread.
Increasing Melbourne venue capacities to 75 per cent would pose more of a risk for queues into arenas and around food and beverage outlets than in the stands, where gaps could still be put in place between groups of friends and family.
Carlton on Thursday postponed its best-and-fairest this weekend because of the COVID case and will instead host an alternate night in coming weeks.
Perth’s five-day lockdown ends at 6pm on Friday night with no further cases in recent days giving West Australian clubs optimism they can resume training fully next week.
The league will assess those WA COVID figures in coming days, and would have been prepared to limit training to all 18 clubs next week in a bid for equality.
But the hope is West Coast and Fremantle players will be able to return to normal training after being limited to one hour of exercise with a single teammate per day during the lockdown.

Mar 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Todays news.
Looks Grim except for Minnow Clubs.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...eek increased crowd capacities to 75 per cent
, but the first Victorian community transmission in a month puts local hopes on hold.

Carlton and Richmond will split the gate takings from a Round 1 season opener that would normally see them bring home $1 million in combined profit from that game alone.
But the difference between playing with only 50 per cent capacity and 75 per cent capacity is significant.
If only 50,000 fans are allowed for marquee games at the MCG, 23,000 of those tickets will go to MCC and AFL members, even when those groups are only being handed half their normal capacity.
Around 2000 corporates would also be allowed into areas that generate lucrative revenue for the competition.
That would leave around 20,000 club members, who have reserved seats, for the home team, with as few as 5000 away club members having the chance to purchase reserved seats.
It is increasingly likely all Melbourne venues will have to be fully ticketed for contact tracing purposes with general admission walk-up fans not possible in 2021.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will liaise with the state government in the weeks leading into the season and is expected to push for three-quarter capacity if the current community transmission can be restricted.

The AFL runs Marvel Stadium, and will hope the MCC’s direct experience with a COVID-positive patron at the Boxing Day Test gives the state government comfort it can allow 75 per cent of patrons.
During what amounted to a test case, it was discovered 10 days later that a COVID-positive person had visited a day of the Boxing Day test.
The MCC was able to get the list of 8000 people who had been in the area to Victorian health authorities within 10 minutes, with no further spread.
Increasing Melbourne venue capacities to 75 per cent would pose more of a risk for queues into arenas and around food and beverage outlets than in the stands, where gaps could still be put in place between groups of friends and family.
Carlton on Thursday postponed its best-and-fairest this weekend because of the COVID case and will instead host an alternate night in coming weeks.
Perth’s five-day lockdown ends at 6pm on Friday night with no further cases in recent days giving West Australian clubs optimism they can resume training fully next week.
The league will assess those WA COVID figures in coming days, and would have been prepared to limit training to all 18 clubs next week in a bid for equality.
But the hope is West Coast and Fremantle players will be able to return to normal training after being limited to one hour of exercise with a single teammate per day during the lockdown.
I saw this posted on the Richmond Facebook page by someone who apparently contacted the club BC5CFD08-3C53-4EDA-AD37-93399571FF55.jpeg

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I saw this posted on the Richmond Facebook page by someone who apparently contacted the club View attachment 1051879
Could backfire on the club.
Forget different levels of membership.
20K for those with reserve seats
5k for unreserved.
Following home game next 25k & 5k.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I'd love someone to explain the medical science behind how holding a tennis tournament, bringing in 600 players and officials from Covid hotspots, is somehow safer than normal crowds at the MCG.

If you consider the aim of premiers and their medical advisor overlords is now complete eradication (rather than what they originally suggested, flattening the curve), we'll have a repeat of 2020 is my guess.

I expect no crowds, and anything is a bonus.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
More chance to hit the road and head to Metricon and Giants Stadium than attend a game here in Melbourne unless your a norf fan.

I've already decided i'm giving thursdays and sundays the flick and in 2022 if they bring in that stupid zone bullshit they are trialling in the VFL this year then i will be giving AFL the flick as well, told the guy at the club that when i rang the other day and he said you are not the first one to say that.

Seriously though, if this country is living in fear of 1 case then i don't hold out any hope of anything happening this winter other than another harsh lockdown when people get sick again.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
With a bit of luck it will be 75% , mcc get20,00 Richmond members the rest ,,,of any ,leftover carlton get a crack
If it goes 75% then anyone who wants to go will be able to go this year bar the marquee games.

2019 MCG attendances

0-50000 = 18
50001- 75000 = 20
75001+ = 7

Fully ticketed for all games is going to lead to ticketek and ticketmaster implosions, they can't handle 4 finals at once let alone 6-7 games at once every single week, can see nothing but disaster coming up.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Good morning beautiful people, does anyone know, or has anyone heard how match day ticketing is gonna work this year? My understanding is that it may only be open for members and will be sold on some type of "tiered" system? What have others heard?

View attachment 1051657
based purely on likes on big footy

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all

View attachment 1051657
I renewed 2 weeks ago & the bloke i spoke to said it'll be a ballot system but how it'll work exactly in terms of priority etc i have no idea.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Will be asking for a discount/refund if its limited access.
Not going to fork out another $600+ for a reserved seat home/general admin away membership if I can only attend a handful of games.

If it goes 75% then anyone who wants to go will be able to go this year bar the marquee games.

2019 MCG attendances

0-50000 = 18
50001- 75000 = 20
75001+ = 7

Fully ticketed for all games is going to lead to ticketek and ticketmaster implosions, they can't handle 4 finals at once let alone 6-7 games at once every single week, can see nothing but disaster coming up.

you're forgetting most of the empties are in the MCC and AFL reserves - we only get access to half the ground, and that half will be at 75%

the only hope is if the AFL fork over some of the AFL members reserve to the clubs

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Is MRC considered premium?
I would've thought so, given it guarantees access to GF tickets. I need to call the club soon and will ask. I'll renew anyway to support the club but looks like we're going to be watching most games away from the ground. At least we can congregate together and watch. That's today, tomorrow who knows? That's what happens when you've got a f@#&wit of a premier in this state!

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there a body that represents general club members as a group, like the aflpa? You know MCC and AFL members are going to get looked after.

Mar 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
After seeing varying reports on different sites and forums I finally got a chance to call the club today and hear for myself.
And while the lovely girl was at pains to emphasise that it’s all subject to change with COVID etc etc

but as it stands... club planning for 50k at round 1.

premium memberships- ie coterie groups and above are guaranteed entry to every game. 3121, club 13, Richmond executive etc.

tiered ballot system for the rest

reserved seat holders first... then if any leftover GA members next.

whoever misses out on rd-1 goes into the guaranteed group for our next home game.

I would've thought so, given it guarantees access to GF tickets. I need to call the club soon and will ask. I'll renew anyway to support the club but looks like we're going to be watching most games away from the ground. At least we can congregate together and watch. That's today, tomorrow who knows? That's what happens when you've got a f@#&wit of a premier in this state!

What do you suggest that your Premier could do differently to make you happy?

Back