Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

He has the highest winning % of any coach with >100 games, high finishing positions means more prime time games which increases sponsorship. My point is money talks and if you were to get rid of Scott you would want to be sure as hell sure that the replacement will have equal or greater success. you wouldn't bring a first time coach like Hodge in, where talking Clarkson here. The reality is like it or not it's going to take a fair fall down the ladder for the club to be in any position to justify letting Scott go, losing finals just won't cut it.

It's not just Chris Scott, it's the whole team to be honest. But getting a new team requires a new coach, in my mind.
Agree. Remember when Scott came in and Mooney and Milburn couldn’t get in the team? I think Taylor and Gary are in a similar boat, but Scott can’t do it. They really should have just let Gaz be done after Perth. There are probably others cooked as well.

Agree. Remember when Scott came in and Mooney and Milburn couldn’t get in the team? I think Taylor and Gary are in a similar boat, but Scott can’t do it. They really should have just let Gaz be done after Perth. There are probably others cooked as well.
Thsi is continually stated. Yet the truth is that Mooney made the decision not to play.

No it wasn’t. He said he hoped he didn’t get picked, cause he knew he was cooked, and would have embarrassed himself out there.

He never told anyone that though till he announced his retirement.
So he was standing behind the door when the team selection was being considered.

We need to go external. Also need a good turnover of assistants.

Preferably a non former player. We don't need the politics that go with that.

Just like I don't like former players as assistants as you'd be a brave man to say sack Scarlett and Enright. Not saying they deserve it but its too much political.

Just go out and get the best coach. No other considerations. The strength we have is we haven't sacked a coach since 1987 or something. Stability is important.

Thsi is continually stated. Yet the truth is that Mooney made the decision not to play.
That isn't quite true. It wasn't a given that he would get Hawkin's spot. He made the decision to withdraw himself from consideration, but that doesn't mean he made the decision....

CS stays as long as he likes, but, after that,

Darren Bewick.

Recently finished up at Eastern Ranges. Highly regarded. Currently coaching in the Essendon FL.
A brilliant game day coach and communicator, and from a successful era, and for once, not a defender.
And has done a bit of work with K Rock.

CS stays as long as he likes, but, after that,

Darren Bewick.

Recently finished up at Eastern Ranges. Highly regarded. Currently coaching in the Essendon FL.
A brilliant game day coach and communicator, and from a successful era, and for once, not a defender.
And has done a bit of work with K Rock.
Why should he stay as long as he likes? Despite creating a team full of head hunted players he hasnt succeeded.

Why should he stay as long as he likes? Despite creating a team full of head hunted players he hasnt succeeded.
Because it ensures the Geelong mods stay in a job each season ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In any case, I think he will stop at the end of 21, or 22. What I meant was he should see out his contract, emphasising that I was not advocating Bewick or anyone now, but at the end of CS's tenure. Reckon he might leave in 21 if we won a flag. So most likely 22.

He has the highest winning % of any coach with >100 games, high finishing positions means more prime time games which increases sponsorship. My point is money talks and if you were to get rid of Scott you would want to be sure as hell sure that the replacement will have equal or greater success. you wouldn't bring a first time coach like Hodge in, where talking Clarkson here.

Clarkson was a first time coach.

So was Mark Thompson.
So was Damian Hardwick.
And so was Chris Scott.

Scott to see out his current extension - if he jags a flag then we can re-assess, if not then he'll have had 11 years since 2011, in which time he has completely overhauled the list to suit his vision.
That's a fair crack at it, I'd be more than happy to freshen the place up with a new appointment given no 10th Cats flag in that time. I reckon that's fair.

Scott to see out his current extension - if he jags a flag then we can re-assess, if not then he'll have had 11 years since 2011, in which time he has completely overhauled the list to suit his vision.
That's a fair crack at it, I'd be more than happy to freshen the place up with a new appointment given no 10th Cats flag in that time. I reckon that's fair.

I agree with this

I don't know if Scott will stay beyond his current contract regardless if he wins a flag or not, but I also doubt he'll be sacked sometime over the next 2 seasons and instead it'll be an amicable ending

After this amount of time I question whether he can motivate the side to take that last step surely he's tried everything already to get them over the line. Cameron's inclusion hopefully opens the door for him to at least loosen the shackles and let the side freewheel a bit more going into attack,that in it's self could motivate the side to get on a roll and put some fun back into their game.It might be a bridge to far for Scott to take though expect more of the same defence first second and last.
I also see him going full term he has been good with the beard.

Last edited:
The player who was sacked from the club for being a bad influence on the playing structure?

that would be glorious. Bringing back SJ to coach would be a complete rejection of Scotts entire philosophy.
Not as bad as Blight to Ayres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back