2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which tall do you think he replaces and what position does he play come round 1? Personally can’t see him playing round 1, but would love to hear your thoughts cotter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think he pushes McStay out and splits his time between fwd/ruck. Joe stays forward.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardner Andrews Lester
Rich Payne Birchall
McCluggage Berry Starcevich
McInerney Neale Lyons
Cameron Hipwood Rayner
Coleman Daniher McStay

Bailey McCarthy Ah Chee Zorko

backline - solid and experience
Forward line - spicy and full of X factor
Midfield - elite
interchange - flexible

-maybe need another tall on the interchange.
-need someone quick rotating through the back six such as starce/ah Chee/Bailey
-hopefully cockatoo will be there come finals
-sorry Robbo I still love you!
- I just can’t leave Lester out. I think he’ll be valuable in big finals games

Last edited:

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardner Andrews Lester
Rich Payne Birchall
McInerney Neale Lyons
Cameron Hipwood Rayner
Coleman Daniher McStay

Midfield - elite
interchange - flexible

Very solid team and I do think at some point in 2021,Starc will play wing opening up a spot in the back. Little concerned that with Birchall, Lester and Rich all in the backline a little slow. I think Birchall probably plays early rounds but will be lots of pressure on him and Lester. Like the inclusion of Coleman and this year make or break for McStay playing the roving linking forward role, is a much better field kick then set shot.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay playing the roving linking forward role, is a much better field kick then set shot.
So too Hipwood and Daniher :) So all our talls you need to close your eyes on a set shot :)
2020 181 goals 209 points
if you take away Stef's 1 goal 1 point.. Add Daniher's 3 goals 6 points it is worse he he :)

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
Just wondering if Rhys Mathieson has run out of chances at the Lions. Seems to get plenty of the ball when he plays but none of you have him in your best 22.
Cheers.

Just wondering if Rhys Mathieson has run out of chances at the Lions. Seems to get plenty of the ball when he plays but none of you have him in your best 22.
Cheers.
We've got so many like him at the moment that they really need to add a string to their bow to get game time.

In terms of solid hard nut ball winners, the ranking would be something like:
  1. Neale
  2. Lyons (rotates up forward)
  3. J Berry (rotates up forward or off a wing despite not being great at either)
  4. Robbo (though technically he's our #2 wing so doesn't rotate into this role often)
  5. Rayner (predominantly forward)
  6. CEY (no real extra strings to his bow. Predominantly forward despite it not working well)
  7. Mathieson (no real extra strings to his bow)
  8. Rookies like Robertson, Ely Smith, etc.
I think you can see the cut-off for best 22 is between 5 and 6, with Mathieson behind CEY in terms of depth as well. If we hadn't recruiting him, Mathieson would've probably seen a fair amount of the season last year. I don't know that he's run out of chances, but I think we've probably seen his ceiling and it's going to leave him out of the team - especially with development from any of the rookies.

Cheers.
He was very good in an intraclub recently. But you are right he has moved back in the pecking order.
I personally would much prefer we play him rather than CEY.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cheers.

His contract is up at the end of this year. Would surprise to see it extended.

Royboy1961

Senior List
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
His contract is up at the end of this year. Would surprise to see it extended.

I like watching Mathieson he always gives his all but unfortunately he has gone down the pecking order. His chances really depend on the form of our midfield and injuries. When he plays he always does a solid job but is a one position player which Fagan does not like. If I was a betting man I reckon he might be going to North Melbourne next year on probably a 2 year contract.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I like watching Mathieson he always gives his all but unfortunately he has gone down the pecking order. His chances really depend on the form of our midfield and injuries. When he plays he always does a solid job but is a one position player which Fagan does not like. If I was a betting man I reckon he might be going to North Melbourne next year on probably a 2 year contract.
North are pretty stacked with young mids after last year’s draft.

They’ll have another top end selection in a mid heavy draft this year.

Love his endeavour, but his ball use is not up to what is acceptable in a top 4 team.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Love his endeavour, but his ball use is not up to what is acceptable in a top 4 team.
I thought maybe Matho had turned the corner at the start of the 2019 year when he put in a couple of good games early but couldn't hold his spot. We haven't really seen enough of him to know but it looks unlikely he'll get selected barring injury . He'd be a serviceable player in a weaker team , just not quite enough pace and skill for what we need right now. But I think he's up to CEY level on what I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
North are pretty stacked with young mids after last year’s draft.

They’ll have another top end selection in a mid heavy draft this year.

Yeah they also have Thomas who I rate very highly and think should be in the middle going forward. They will have a stacked midfield when they turn the corner.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah they also have Thomas who I rate very highly and think should be in the middle going forward. They will have a stacked midfield when they turn the corner.
LDU is starting to come good. Then they have Curtis Taylor and Eddie Ford who could real X factor mid forward types. And Jaidyn Stephenson on the wing and half forward.

They have some real good young mids, if they all develop.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Problem is the KPP. Comben might be a decent Goldy replacement but Im not convinced by a lot of the others. Larkey? seems to have a bit of hype, but Im not certain. Can Zuharr back him up? Or maybe Xerri? And then they still rely on Tarrant a lot in the backline.

There is promise there especially in the middle but I feel like they could be the next doggies. All midfield and constantly searching for a tall at each end

I like Comben in the ruck too.

If I was Nobes, I would put Comben as that 3rd tall forward who rucks part-time in the F50 & centre square for now while Goldstein has a couple of years left before giving him the number 1 rucking position to him if he able to perform at a consistent ability in that position, similar to how we used Martin & McInerney at our club for that period of time.

I think the worry for me if I was Nobes for 2021 is their KPP stocks in their F50 and also their mature midfielders in the centre especially if injuries play a big time like most teams had to endure last season.

I can see North Melbourne having the season similar to how our season went in 2017 but hopefully in the future be competing for finals by the next 3-4 years.

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardner Andrews Lester
Rich Payne Birchall
McInerney Neale Lyons
Cameron Hipwood Rayner
Coleman Daniher McStay

Midfield - elite
interchange - flexible

Just thought I would have a go at a selected side.. Some slight changes that would be an improvement. Some might disagree.
Here goes:

Gardiner Andrews Answerth

Starcevich Payne Rich

McCluggage Lyons Cockatoo

Rayner Hipwood Bailey

Cameron Daniher McCarthy

McInerney Neale Zorko

Int: McStay, J.Berry, Ah Chee, (Birchall or Adams or Lester).

Form, fitness/injuries will determine availability.

Answerth
in the backline adds pace and attacking grunt.
Starcevich must stay on the back flank.
Payne needs game time to gain more experience. Will be solid at CHB
Lyons in the centre.
Cockatoo on the wing - speed
Bailey on the HFF. Reminds me of Mickey Conlan - powerful with speed.
Daniher (when his body and fitness is good) Is by far the best Full Forward in the AFL

Interchange is flexible as we have some great kids that are knocking on the door.
Some will push for senior selection this year.

This gives the side an excellent tall spine. On the flanks, enormous skill, ability, speed and goal scoring accuracy.

Just thought I would have a go at a selected side.. Some slight changes that would be an improvement. Some might disagree.
Here goes:

Starcevich Payne Rich

Rayner Hipwood Bailey

Cameron Daniher McCarthy

McInerney Neale Zorko

Answerth
Lyons in the centre.
Daniher (when his body and fitness is good) Is by far the best Full Forward in the AFL

Interchange is flexible as we have some great kids that are knocking on the door.

This gives the side an excellent tall spine. On the flanks, enormous skill, ability, speed and goal scoring accuracy.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder how much rucking Oscar will do

Doesn't seem like he has the fitness to do 80% consistently

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here goes:

Starcevich Payne Rich

Rayner Hipwood Bailey

Cameron Daniher McCarthy

McInerney Neale Zorko

Answerth
Lyons in the centre.

This is a good team and pretty close to the one I would pick for most of the season. I just wondering if Payne will be fit for round 1, having had some type of virus, love to see him tackle Buddy again, reckon we need him for round 2 against Geelong. Is Cockatoo fit enough for wing at start of year. Perhaps Starc on wing (or Robbo for first few rounds) and Cockatoo in the backs for the first few rounds. Has Gardiner fully recovered after missing Prelim: no BF posters have mentioned him in the training reports, but he is a no nonsense player so probably not noticed?
After last season would rather Lester, then Birch or Adams. Maybe Fullarton gets a run at some point. We do appear to have some good other young talent and the upcoming trial game/s? and VFL comp (subject to COVID) will be great for their development.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm confused; why the discussion about North Melbourne of all club's in this thread? :huh:
Because Royboy1961 mentioned North might look at Mathieson at the end of the year. I replied that North are stacked with young mids now.

If I was Nobes, I would put Comben as that 3rd tall forward who rucks part-time in the F50 & centre square for now while Goldstein has a couple of years left before giving him the number 1 rucking position to him if he able to perform at a consistent ability in that position, similar to how we used Martin & McInerney at our club for that period of time.

I think the worry for me if I was Nobes for 2021 is their KPP stocks in their F50 and also their mature midfielders in the centre especially if injuries play a big time like most teams had to endure last season.

I can see North Melbourne having the season similar to how our season went in 2017 but hopefully in the future be competing for finals by the next 3-4 years.
Yeah, KPP’s are North’s weakness atm.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
LDU is starting to come good. Then they have Curtis Taylor and Eddie Ford who could real X factor mid forward types. And Jaidyn Stephenson on the wing and half forward.

They have some real good young mids, if they all develop.
LDU was my pick of that draft. Wish we grabbed him. Rsyner needs to take the next step this year or alarm bells will start ringing for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back