News Collingwood's Culture

Remove this Banner Ad

Until players go on strike, or use the game to send a message ......sit down strikes were raised by players several years go .....IICE championed by Jobe Watson

Maybe wearing messages on their AFL kit ?

Would be a conundrum for the AFL .....how do they handle such events, for a social cause they've publicly supported & endorsed

This is part of the slippery slope I refer too
A slippery slope to a more tolerant world. Don't threaten me with a good time Wayne. ;)

the whole story? I was booing him long before he decided to court controversy and complain when he was successful at it

Really, were you perhaps the first person to boo? Maybe you could get a badge to wear?

Why do you boo out of curiousity? You know he won't hear your lone boo (before every slack jawed follower joins in) ... Surely you aren't doing it for inner balance - or you would not need to verbalise it ... Sanders, dont tell me you boo so everyone around you sees how cool you are?

And now you know what it means to Goodes ... What it means to the Aboriginal community ... You'd still polish of your badge, wet the vocal chords and give it your best effort? Seems a bit mean spirited, unaware and ego driven.

I'd have hoped you might be able to empathise a bit better ... Or do those blue eyed tests need to be reminded that us brown eyes are superior at every opportunity?

not many cultural heroes took to humiliating young girls, and has anyone thought about the effect that must have had on a child, too young to know better. Sure blame the parents, but only one person abused her so publicly.

You obviously have a strong opinion on this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but let's not over-egg the pudding.

Goodes never abused her and he was well aware at the potential effect calling her out would have. In fact, I recall that he gave a press conference in which he specifically stated that he didn't think she was to blame, that she was only repeating what she had heard from others, and that it wasn't her fault. He also tweeted on the Saturday after the game that she had rung to apologise and asked people to support her.

""I just hope that people give the 13-year-old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it. It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl. We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."
goodes-gutted-by-incident

Last edited:

Am I the only one that thinks Adam Goodes actually wasn't that dirty of a player?

My recollection of him is that he played the game the same way as most other players

I'm sure you're not. But he was outspoken and indigenous. How dare he.

Really, were you perhaps the first person to boo? Maybe you could get a badge to wear?

Why do you boo out of curiousity? You know he won't hear your lone boo (before every slack jawed follower joins in) ... Surely you aren't doing it for inner balance - or you would not need to verbalise it ... Sanders, dont tell me you boo so everyone around you sees how cool you are?

And now you know what it means to Goodes ... What it means to the Aboriginal community ... You'd still polish of your badge, wet the vocal chords and give it your best effort? Seems a bit mean spirited, unaware and ego driven.

I'd have hoped you might be able to empathise a bit better ... Or do those blue eyed tests need to be reminded that us brown eyes are superior at every opportunity?

I think my reasons for booing him are pretty well explained.

heck, I might load up some YouTube so I can boo him some more. Get my nostalgia on

You obviously have a strong opinion on this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but let's not over-egg the pudding.

Goodes never abused her and he was well aware at the potential effect calling her out would have. In fact, I recall that he gave a press conference in which he specifically stated that he didn't think she was to blame, that she was only repeating what she had heard from others, and that it wasn't her fault. He also tweeted on the Saturday after the game that she had rung to apologise and asked people to support her.

""I just hope that people give the 13-year-old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it. It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl. We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."
goodes-gutted-by-incident

oh, sorry why didn’t you say?

I didn’t realise Goodes had his fingers crossed, that changes everything

Bookmark this and tell me if you're of the same thought in 10 years time .....factions will use the "reach" the AFL provides for some unsavory causes

It's a human behavioural response, well documented

If you enjoy your sport intertwined with politics, you'll love it
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpeg
5.jpg
6.jpeg
7.jpg

Yeah sports have never been, and never will have anything to do with political movements. This change over the next 10 years of which you speak sounds frightening.

Until players go on strike, or use the game to send a message ......sit down strikes were raised by players several years go .....IICE championed by Jobe Watson

Would be a conundrum for the AFL .....how do they handle such events, for a social cause they've publicly supported & endorsed

Jumping at nothing IMHO

Has there ever been a sport in the world that has been cancelled as part of a social protest not directly linked to the sport?

Pay disputes, tv right deals, collective bargaining etc much bigger threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think this was part of it.

People who booed Goodes for football reasons angry that they were labelled racists.

Booing for their right to boo being taken away.

However... once people could see the effect it was having on Goodes/the wider divisive effect it was having and still booed... Whatever it started out as, it finished up racist imho.

View attachment 1053529
View attachment 1053534
View attachment 1053533
View attachment 1053532
View attachment 1053531
View attachment 1053530
View attachment 1053535

Yeah sports have never been, and never will have anything to do with political movements. This change over the next 10 years of which you speak sounds frightening.
It's depressing seeing all those watershed moments yet progress since has been so slow.

Shows me that these symbolic events may feel like definitive moments but then things largely carry on as they are. Everyone wants that 'girl on the bus' moment eg Rudd's apology and thinks things will all be different now.

So that makes it ok then...:drunk:
I expect they regret it afterwards but for all the actions taken things still get said. I think it’s human nature to blurt s**t out when you’ve just been elbowed in the face. The instant reaction is to use some profanity usually coupled with an adjective when directing it at someone. You can call me an “old bald campaigner” if you like.
I doubt I’ll like it though. Considering it’s non physical nature I’ll just treat it as an angry rant and shrug my shoulders and move forward.

People who booed Goodes for football reasons angry that they were labelled racists.

However... once people could see the effect it was having on Goodes/the wider divisive effect it was having and still booed... Whatever it started out as, it finished up racist imho.
I think it was partly this.

Whilst you're jumping at shadows here, and sport has always been political, the bold part seems like a question which answers itself.

Of course the answer is they won't care if the player is supporting a cause the league as a whole has publicly supported and will care when a player does something they don't support and will cop a backlash from the players action (so beyond the realm of where "free speech" covers for an organisation). Same as all sports and other organisations. No different to the player who got a life ban from representing the Greek national team (he was a current U21 at that time) for firing off a Nazi salute after scoring a goal for AEK Athens.

you can’t ascribe different motivations to people than the ones they actually hold. And you most certainly cannot arbitrarily assign beliefs to them

that’s beyond perverse

you can’t ascribe different motivations to people than the ones they actually hold. And you most certainly cannot arbitrarily assign beliefs to them

that’s beyond perverse
You don't think there was a large element thinking: I don't care if this is perceived as being racist "Boooo" ?

Well the last few pages have been some of the most depressing reading I've ever had on BigFooty.

There is nothing better than middle aged white people telling black people how they should and shouldn't feel.

I'm often baffled at how we still see racism in the normal population, as I would have thought that as a people we had matured beyond this. The last few pages show just how utterly ignorant some people are, and want to remain. It's much easier to criticise the complaints, or the people making the complaints, or to downplay the seriousness of the issues than it is to look in the mirror and ask if you're part of the problem.

I've always thought the Crows board was one of the more enlightened groups on BF. Clearly that's not true.

It's sad.
Unfortunately there are some on this board who think they understand racism like Eddie McGuire thinks he understands racism.

Our country still has a long way to go...

the whole story? I was booing him long before he decided to court controversy and complain when he was successful at it
Can someone ask Sanders what were his reasons for booing Goodes (as he has me on ignore)?

His main 2 controversial games were standing up for racism - the warrior celebration & the girl incident.

I don't recall him doing anything untoward in a Crows game that made me want to boo him.

Jumping at nothing IMHO

Has there ever been a sport in the world that has been cancelled as part of a social protest not directly linked to the sport?

Pay disputes, tv right deals, collective bargaining etc much bigger threat.
Be careful what you wish for .....everyone favors the causes they support, what about the causes you don't support ?

NEW YORK — The NBA and the National Basketball Players Association today announced that in light of the Milwaukee Bucks’ decision to not take the floor today for Game 5 against the Orlando Magic, today’s three games – Bucks vs. Magic, Houston Rockets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder and Los Angeles Lakers vs. Portland Trail Blazers – have been postponed. Game 5 of each series will be rescheduled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back