NFL The Best QB of All Time: Poll

Who is the Best NFL QB of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brady is no doubt the greatest in terms of leadership and intangibles. I'll give him that. But purely QB'ing and playing the actual position , he's not imo. So it's a matter perspective.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lol. Wow. It's not the only metric, but fu** me the most important position on success in world sports and the guy has considerably more than anyone else in history, but you want 3 more?
Ehh, sort of, but not really. QB isn't more important than LeBron James or any other NBA star. And of course nothing like individual sports.

It's important but in reality it's a relatively small % of organisational success. Just looking at the team in itself, it's less than the rest of the team on the field

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well fussy yes, but also completely non credible?

What's your argument you have for Favre when Brady has 70 odd more TDs, 8,000 more passing yards, 150 fewer INTs, 6 more Superbowl wins, equal NFL MVPs, 2-1 offensive player of the year advantage, more rushing TDs and yards (even though neither were necessarily known as dual threat). And he's done all that in less games than Favre.
Favre was in a different era. He still held all those records at some point and that counts

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For example, Favre's numbers compared to his contemporaries in that era is much more impressive than Brady's in his. It's not about breaking the record and holding it forever, just that you actually held it at one point. Favre breaking those records was more impressive than Brady doing so. What is impressive about Brady is his longevity, but then there's Favre who was almost as good in that area and also did it in a tougher era 🤷‍♂️

Saw a Jets fan say Tom Brady has keys to the matrix. It's the only way to explain the circumstances that always seem to eventuate for him and no one else.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just while we're on the Systom Brady reality check, if he was playing on the Chiefs today and Mahomes was on the Bucs, it would've been 55-3 instead of 31-9.

inb4 someone says "yeah with the chiefs winning lul"
I mean its probably coincidence that the Bucs win this year after Brady takes over at QB

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
There's no question now, not after going to a new team and doing it in year one at age 43.

Anyone still arguing differently is surely just being contrarian for the sake of it. Quarterbacking comprises a great, great many thing, both on and off the field, and he's the most successful to ever do it by far.

Don't at me.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
A stacked team having a good year isn't exactly a coincidence
There's been plenty of good (better) teams on paper that haven't won SBs. The most successful QB in NFL history goes to a good team and suddenly they win their second franchise SB. I'd say it's a pretty causative effect.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's been plenty of good (better) teams on paper that haven't won SBs. The most successful QB in NFL history goes to a good team and suddenly they win their second franchise SB. I'd say it's a pretty causative effect.
Not sure your point, as I said it's not a coincidence. Just as he would've missed the playoffs if he had've stayed in New England, he won the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. Because it's the ultimate team sport and 1 player doesn't decide the outcome of the game

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Jon Gruden could be the 🐐 coach coz he got a stacked Bucs team over the line too.
Sure, has he got 7 rings?

Not sure your point, as I said it's not a coincidence. Just as he would've missed the playoffs if he had've stayed in New England, he won the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. Because it's the ultimate team sport and 1 player doesn't decide the outcome of the game

It's a team sport, but it would be one of the most lopsided sports in terms of one individual being tied to winning games. There are not many positions in team sport that have the same weight of what is placed in a QB and their involvement in performance.

Basketball is different, as a % one player has a huge value, but they all play equal roles as players on the court without restriction. Everyone passes, shoots, rebounds, defends with equal opportunity to impact. It doesn't work that way in American football, the QB effectively is involved in every offensive play (>99%).

Sure, has he got 7 rings?

It's a team sport, but it would be one of the most lopsided sports in terms of one individual being tied to winning games. There are not many positions in team sport that have the same weight of what is placed in a QB and their involvement in performance.

Basketball is different, as a % one player has a huge value, but they all play equal roles as players on the court without restriction. Everyone passes, shoots, rebounds, defends with equal opportunity to impact. It doesn't work that way in American football, the QB effectively is involved in every offensive play (>99%).

No , but he did the same as Brady. Which makes the achievement more special! A mere mortal like Gruden did what the 🐐 did. Amazing ey?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
hard to argue against you. rams had a stacked team and goff failed them. jaguars had a stacked team a few years ago, and didnt make the SB. browns had a stacked team a couple years ago and bombed.

but it doesnt make him the best player at the position of qb that has ever been.

also, i hate these "best ever" things because there are many many great players at the same positions and they all are equally great.

except for dan marino...he's a god always.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel bad for Joe Montana in all of this. An overrated popgun QB whose fans can't pull the RANGZ argument anymore. Thoughts GG.exe
Joe Montana was a dink and dunk virtuoso, system QB. Still, he was great. He had a winning record at the Chiefs without Walsh. Which is the same argument that Brady can say without Belichick. Both truly can get away from that label that they ONLY were good BECAUSE OF their all-time HCs.

Still, Montana was predominantly dink and dunk, like Brady. Whereas someone like Marino was in a vertical heavy offense. Like the sport of diving or gymnastics, with difficulty ratios factored into their scores, Marino soars above both. So much harder to be so vertical, and to excel so much. Also, DCs schemed completely against Marino and the passing game (they had no run game, unlike Montana and Brady), and yet Marino still couldn't be stopped. That's a sign of true godliness. Barry Sanders was the same.

Dawggin It

Senior List
Mar 23, 2009
Crows Nest
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's fair to argue 'Best' QB because everyone will have a different idea of what that means. Best arm/most talented/most important to the team/intangibles etc

Hardly anyone seriously argues about who the most successful QB is because that is Brady hands down. The only dissenters are those who think getting to and losing the SB is somehow worse than making fewer but winning all of them (as if those players didn't just lose at an earlier stage of the season).

If there was any question in my mind of Brady being the GOAT he answered it this year, because of the longevity, being able to do it with a second franchise/system in the first year and doing it the hard way this year against teams with 3 likely HOF QBs in the playoffs.

There've arguably been a handful of better quarterbacks. There's never been anyone greater.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
They've arguably been a handful of better quarterbacks. There's never been anyone greater.
This is a fair point. There have been better QBs (eg, Marino), but in terms of "greatness" Brady does top them all --- awards, stats, rings, longevity, and so quickly winning another SB with another org that hadnt won one for 20 years, etc etc. Greatness defines Brady.

Back