Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstall, Jono Brown, Barassi, Carey, Ablett Snr and Leigh Matthews never won one either.

You're expecting the poor guy to win a Brownlow in a team that finishes 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 16th in his first 5 years at the club :rolleyes:

You look at any relevant stat for an inside mid, and Cripps leads it across the league. He is the best inside mid in the comp, regardless if he hasn't won a Brownlow.
Looks like he really made his mark in those first 5 years ;)

Given he played every game last season the only thing he ranked first for on average was Centre Clearances, elsewhere ......

3rd for clearances
17th for stoppage clearances
7th for contested possessions

Hey Cripps is very good .... great at centre bounces (as long as he doesn't have to kick it) but not as effective around the ground it seems as some other inside mids.

It’s pretty hard to argue that Neale is not the best mid in the game right now, and he’s a pretty decent shot on goal as well. it’s testament to how bad a coach Ross was that he had Fyfe, Neal and Mundy in the same team and still couldn’t get freo into the finals in his last 4 years.
Yes, I know Fyfe was out for all on 2016 and Neale had left by 2019 but that still doesn’t explain the debacles of 2017 & 2018.

Looks like he really made his mark in those first 5 years ;)

Given he played every game last season the only thing he ranked first for on average was Centre Clearances, elsewhere ......

3rd for clearances
17th for stoppage clearances
7th for contested possessions

Hey Cripps is very good .... great at centre bounces (as long as he doesn't have to kick it) but not as effective around the ground it seems as some other inside mids.
FFS this must be the 5th time I'm saying this. Cripps was no where near his best last year, due to playing through 3 dislocated shoulder injuries in one year. That's why I compared him to other mids across their CAREERS.

You look at any relevant stat for an inside mid, and Cripps leads it across the league. He is the best inside mid in the comp.

Is that you, Clarko?

I am guessing you said that as the Hawks are no longer contenders after ignoring the draft for 6-8 years? You reckon the Hawks fans care? During that stupid ignorance they won 4 flags including 3 in a row with no baby sitting requirement at all.
I am sure any Hawks fan knows while they are watching replays of their flags they will have their time again in the future.
If they had of drafted during that time instead of recruiting ready made footballers they would not of won those flags, I don’t know how anyone can argue against it.

I am guessing you said that as the Hawks are no longer contenders after ignoring the draft for 6-8 years? You reckon the Hawks fans care? During that stupid ignorance they won 4 flags including 3 in a row with no baby sitting requirement at all.
I am sure any Hawks fan knows while they are watching replays of their flags they will have their time again in the future.
If they had of drafted during that time instead of recruiting ready made footballers they would not of won those flags, I don’t know how anyone can argue against it.

You miss the point. Of course fans will take future failure in exchange for past success.

But. History is littered with coaches who have used their influence to held on one year too long. Hawthorn is probably now at three years too many. And Clarko is STILL playing his guitar and telling the membership that they will bounce back to the top.

Clarkson is more or less on the record as saying you can keep topping up forever. Draft is for chumps.

He is wrong. And it will be ugly. The "quality" of Hawthorn's top ups for the past few years is horrid.

FFS this must be the 5th time I'm saying this. Cripps was no where near his best last year, due to playing through 3 dislocated shoulder injuries in one year. That's why I compared him to other mids across their CAREERS.

You look at any relevant stat for an inside mid, and Cripps leads it across the league. He is the best inside mid in the comp.
That’s because no other inside mid has been put in the guts from game one.
Carlton out of desperation the last 15 years have put first rd midfield picks straight in trying to find a cure for their mediocrity.

You miss the point. Of course fans will take future failure in exchange for past success.

But. History is littered with coaches who have used their influence to held on one year too long. Hawthorn is probably now at three years too many. And Clarko is STILL playing his guitar and telling the membership that they will bounce back to the top.

Clarkson is more or less on the record as saying you can keep topping up forever. Draft is for chumps.

He is wrong. And it will be ugly. The "quality" of Hawthorn's top ups for the past few years is horrid.

The draft needs to be used wisely and I think the Hawks did it well Ignoring it at the time. Has Clarko stayed to long? Quite possibly but the one constant in VFL/AFL since the 80’s has been the Hawks going up and down quickly. It might happen again ??
He may be wrong with recent top ups, but what he has done will never be forgotten and every Hawks fan would love him For the joy he has given them.
Look at you blokes who may be on the way to a great list of players, let’s say you climb the mountain and win the flag the next year or two. It’s now decision time to top up and try and win 2-3 with the list or keep drafting and thinking we can stay up forever which we both know is not possible and also not that fulfilling for fans to just be around the mark yearly.
There is a time and place fir the draft, it’s not the be all and end all however.

The draft needs to be used wisely and I think the Hawks did it well Ignoring it at the time. Has Clarko stayed to long? Quite possibly but the one constant in VFL/AFL since the 80’s has been the Hawks going up and down quickly. It might happen again ??
He may be wrong with recent top ups, but what he has done will never be forgotten and every Hawks fan would love him For the joy he has given them.
Look at you blokes who may be on the way to a great list of players, let’s say you climb the mountain and win the flag the next year or two. It’s now decision time to top up and try and win 2-3 with the list or keep drafting and thinking we can stay up forever which we both know is not possible and also not that fulfilling for fans to just be around the mark yearly.
There is a time and place fir the draft, it’s not the be all and end all however.

No s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't argue with idiots mate they only drag you down to their level and win with experience and this bloke has plenty of experience .

If I was a player I'd rather the Leigh Matthews trophy as the league mvp voted by the other players and Cripps has one of those rather than a Brownlow medal voted on by the flouro maggots but hey whatever floats your boat .
Fyfe has two of them as well to go with two Brownlows spread over 3 years

Strange, you'd fully expect him to tell the journos he's leaving!
No, but if there was at least a doubt in his mind that he would want to leave, he wouldn't be saying the things which he does in interviews/press conferences.

It's a pointless conversation, because it's always mine (and all Carlton supporter's) opinions against everyone else. Rumour starts from power hungry journos or BF posters having fun, but it never has anything behind it.

Cripps is loyal, and like has stated himself, bleeds blue. I don't see him leaving.

Fyfe has two of them as well to go with two Brownlows spread over 3 years
Yet he still is behind Cripps on every single major stat for an inside mid. Just another reason why awards don't mean anything.

That’s because no other inside mid has been put in the guts from game one.
Carlton out of desperation the last 15 years have put first rd midfield picks straight in trying to find a cure for their mediocrity.
Your argument doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter if Cripps played the last 5 years in the guts, or just last year, stats can't be added up and accumulated over years. That's why averages are used.

6 years of carrying Carlton on his shoulders will do that to a player.

its ok he is getting help from Saad this year...enjoy winning the draft again...and celebrating 6000 days without wining a final...

btw LOL @ you quoting Chris Judd on his time at Westo Coast...trying to big note yourself with a stolen misquoted line...embarassed much?

Excuses and more excuses!!

If only this .......... if only that .......

He played every game ...... that's Carlton saying ...... he was good to go!

I showed you 3 extremely relevant stats where he didn't lead them.

He was actually 22nd for Stoppage Clearances last season ...... is this a relevant stat ...... or are clearances only relevant at centre bounces?

"So Cipps cant be outbid for therefore Cripps should leave for success" is a really funny narrative - doesn't work out like that though ....the only FA's that have left a club and got a flag were all scooped up by Hawthorn - before other teams woke up to the arb - and please all Lynch proves is that Suns are a basket case- everyone knows that.

Cripps can do what he likes. If he wants to sign a free agent offer for $1m or $1.5m or $2m a year he can. And Carlton are free to match that offer, or not.

IF Cripps wanted to go/had to go back to Perth it would be Freo that would be the natural suitor - they will have picks and players Carlton are interested in

That's very convenient.

I would've thought if Cripps wanted to go back to Perth he would make a decision on which club he wanted to join based on his footy future. If he thinks our list is no good, too older for his prime etc. then good-o, but I can think of plenty of free agents and out of contract players who left their clubs for reasons other than 'hey which club has the best trade currency, I'll go there'. I.e. all of them.

Very funny reading this BF dribble from WC macaroons - thinking that up and coming sides give a toss about WC guaranteed success narratives.

Carlton's best season in Cripps' career is 7 wins. 7 years, 4 coaches, 2 spoons, 0 finals. I'd be getting nervous if you have a poor start to the year...

I remember when you were up and coming in 2011. How did that pan out again?

Excuses and more excuses!!

If only this .......... if only that .......

He played every game ...... that's Carlton saying ...... he was good to go!

I showed you 3 extremely relevant stats where he didn't lead them.

He was actually 22nd for Stoppage Clearances last season ...... is this a relevant stat ...... or are clearances only relevant at centre bounces?
On ehalf decent season of football - and we have to suffer listening to an angry aint...

On ehalf decent season of football - and we have to suffer listening to an angry aint...

So we are only going by his decent games and not the average ones?

Plugger had half a decent season once .... he kicked 78 in 11 games

Unlike Cripps he actually only played half a season whereas Cripps played a whole season last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back