Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Grind core black metal is more popular than ever. I’ve seen brutal bands from Norway to China . The extreme scene is huge in Europe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is metal generally bigger than ever or has the internet just made it seem like that is the case? There doesn't seem to be any major mainstream metal bands, but there's a million difference sub-genres which have their own aesthetic and self-contained scene.

Also seems like black metal has been bastardised the most, and you see all these different off-shoots be it black metal fused with post rock, or black metal and hardcore.

Last edited:

Is metal generally bigger than ever or has the internet just made it seem like that is the case? There doesn't seem to be any major mainstream metal bands, but there's a million difference sub-genres which have their own aesthetic and self-contained scene.

Also seems like black metal has been bastardised the most, and you see all these different off-shoots be it black metal fused with post rock, or black metal and hardcore.

Still about the song and music no matter your genre think tank ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's one of the funniest films of all time.

Just substitute The Eagles for Pink Floyd (my feeling for the former is perfectly summed up by The Dude).

Ha ha, good scene. I'll have to watch it. I was like the guy, as in had a rough night and last thing I needed was to hear Pink Floyd. Taxi driver did not carry on like this one did though. If my taxi driver had wanted to play the Eagles, I would have let him. * Pink Floyd though, taxi driver would have to play me to stay in his car if I had to listen to that crap for nearly an hour ride.

Ha ha, good scene. I'll have to watch it. I was like the guy, as in had a rough night and last thing I needed was to hear Pink Floyd. Taxi driver did not carry on like this one did though. If my taxi driver had wanted to play the Eagles, I would have let him. fu** Pink Floyd though, taxi driver would have to play me to stay in his car if I had to listen to that crap for nearly an hour ride.
As I said earlier, while I'm not a fan, I much prefer Floyd to the Eagles.

I think I would leave the cab if he played the Eagles.

As I said earlier, while I'm not a fan, I much prefer Floyd to the Eagles.

I think I would leave the cab if he played the Eagles.
I do not like or dislike Eagles. Not sure how much of their music I heard beyond Hotel California but sure if I heard it in car ride half of it heard somewhere at sometime. For me Pink Floyd is not tolerable. It is like someone scratching a blackboard with their finger nails. That is how unpleasant it is for my ears to hear.

I do not like or dislike Eagles. Not sure how much of their music I heard beyond Hotel California but sure if I heard it in car ride half of it heard somewhere at sometime. For me Pink Floyd is not tolerable. It is like someone scratching a blackboard with their finger nails. That is how unpleasant it is for my ears to hear.
I get that. And I applaud the passion with which you despise them.

Just out of interest, is it their entire recorded output that you can't tolerate, or mostly their post-Syd Barrett material?

I get that. And I applaud the passion with which you despise them.

Just out of interest, is it their entire recorded output that you can't tolerate, or mostly their post-Syd Barrett material?
How would I have heard their entire recorded output given I either change the music if I can, or just leave wherever I am so I do not have to hear it?
If you smelt something really off you would not stay around to put up with the smell. Same thing for my ears with them.

How would I have heard their entire recorded output given I either change the music if I can, or just leave wherever I am so I do not have to hear it?
If you smelt something really off you would not stay around to put up with the smell. Same thing for my ears with them.
I only ask because their '60s material is quite different to their Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall style.

I only ask because their '60s material is quite different to their Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall style.
There is no chance of me attending a bible study group or listening to Pink Floyd from any era.
Some things just are so unattractive to me, there is no chance of me giving them the time of day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no chance of me attending a bible study group or listening to Pink Floyd from any era.
Some things just are so unattractive to me, there is no chance of me giving them the time of day.
And that's fair enough. I was just curious that's all.

They can go on the pile of most overrated groups. Right next to U2.

I believe it's more likely that you could blame Roger Linn in the 80's with his programmable drum machine that used samples and his midi sampler machine that allowed sampling and sequencing. That led music to be produced by people who couldn't play an instrument. Sampling and sequencing became the foundation for Hip Hop and that lead to Crap Rap music and the general decline in the quality of musicianship and the monotony of popular music nowadays. Autotune is another invention that has enabled people who can't sing in key without it, like Katy Perry, Justin Beiber, Snoop Dog, Billie Ellish, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Nicky Minaj to establish successful careers as singers.
Can't speak for many of the others but Billie Eilish can definitely sing lol.

People choosing to use autotune doesn't mean they can't sing.

May have mentioned this in here before, a long time ago, but it made me think of it again hearing one of their songs. Can’t stand Nirvana. They get so pumped up as this amazing grunge band that changed the landscape of rock music in the early 90s. They’re trash. Musically it’s so basic and boring, and lyrically, it’s childish and doesn’t even make sense (a mosquito, my libido, what genius!!) I am a big pearl jam fan, maybe that’s why I hate Nirvana, because they get all the glory. Eddie Vedders song writing is so far ahead of Cobains, and his songs of the same era had actual substance. Musically they’re way ahead as well.

May have mentioned this in here before, a long time ago, but it made me think of it again hearing one of their songs. Can’t stand Nirvana. They get so pumped up as this amazing grunge band that changed the landscape of rock music in the early 90s. They’re trash. Musically it’s so basic and boring, and lyrically, it’s childish and doesn’t even make sense (a mosquito, my libido, what genius!!) I am a big pearl jam fan, maybe that’s why I hate Nirvana, because they get all the glory. Eddie Vedders song writing is so far ahead of Cobains, and his songs of the same era had actual substance. Musically they’re way ahead as well.

Not disagreeing with you right to not like them but Cobain’s ability write a melody was nothing short of amazing.I think too often when we assess musicians we overlook the vocal structure of their songs. Not the quality of his voice - it’s very polarising - but the tune his voice is actually singing. In Bloom is one of the best melodies of any song I’ve ever heard

His guitar work while far from being Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore, was actually very good for such a homespun guitarist, and novolselic’s bass lines bounced off it perfectly.

I don’t really know what separates Eddie vedder’s songwriting from Cobain’s - I like Eddie Vedder too but they wrote about different things and I don’t see one as being more meritorious than the other.

Watch some of Rick Beato’s videos about nirvana and peel back some of the layers as they’re dissected by an expert. I think you’ll be surprised at some of the complexities.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are trash, but definitely overrated.

Not disagreeing with you right to not like them but Cobain’s ability write a melody was nothing short of amazing.I think too often when we assess musicians we overlook the vocal structure of their songs. Not the quality of his voice - it’s very polarising - but the tune his voice is actually singing. In Bloom is one of the best melodies of any song I’ve ever heard

His guitar work while far from being Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore, was actually very good for such a homespun guitarist, and novolselic’s bass lines bounced off it perfectly.

I don’t really know what separates Eddie vedder’s songwriting from Cobain’s - I like Eddie Vedder too but they wrote about different things and I don’t see one as being more meritorious than the other.

Watch some of Rick Beato’s videos about nirvana and peel back some of the layers as they’re dissected by an expert. I think you’ll be surprised at some of the complexities.
Still agree with Phatboy though, as much as I quite like Nirvana, Pearl Jam were leagues ahead. In quality and variety of songs and varying and interesting melody within. Not even a close one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back