Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
This one in post #8??

or this one linked in post #1?

Post 1 the one I was chasing thought it had a leaf as well. Dropped in to the "Pear Cafe" this arvo coz they had it on an advertising A frame a few years back.

Naively thought our shop might have had iron on transfers or badges... no luck.

Post 1 the one I was chasing thought it had a leaf as well. Dropped in to the "Pear Cafe" this arvo coz they had it on an advertising A frame a few years back.

Naively thought our shop might have had iron on transfers or badges... no luck.
Do a google image search of Bobby and Jacko holding up a banner that said something like Go the Pear, and the Pear symbol was there instead of the word and I reckon that pear had a leaf.

Maybe my memory's not to be trusted yet i'm senile enough to be sure I saw it. Iirc we had it on a club polo shirt or some other merch. Was it sans leaf?... probably.

I have a coach's t shirt from a few years ago and it has the pear at the base of the hem. No leaf.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
We lost by a kick. Burton played forward for how long? We lost because we weren’t good enough under pressure, not because Ken tried to do something out of the box for 3% of TMT
We lacked composure at critical times. In the last quarter we just kept bombing it forward without any plan or thought.

Ultimately we were beaten by Richmond's greater finals experience after Hinkley said at the end of 2019 that playing finals is overrated.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's so sad, I think every Port supporter knew Burton would get injured in the finals.

Also believe we had some of our top players stuck on the bench in the 4th because his injuries basically stuffed up our rotations

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I love the confidence coming from the club and we have a great squad but I hope we are not making pre-mature noises, as we all know it's a long season and Ken has flapped his gums before and it never ended well.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
It's so sad, I think every Port supporter knew Burton would get injured in the finals.

Also believe we had some of our top players stuck on the bench in the 4th because his injuries basically stuffed up our rotations
Yep
Rozee and Wines on the bench for the final 7 minutes

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I love the confidence coming from the club and we have a great squad but I hope we are not making pre-mature noises, as we all know it's a long season and Ken has flapped his gums before and it never ended well.

Im all for it. We grew up expecting to win, hell, there is a song written about it. This is the most Port Adelaide we have been in a long time.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hoping Ken's up for it in his 9th season is a weird place to be in. Oh well no pressure on him, at season's end no matter what the result, he's guaranteed another 2yrs.
Not so much anymore, because now if we sack him in 2021 we only have to given him a 6 month payout, rather than payout 2.5 years.

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We finished top of the ladder with a percentage of 130+ and lost a prelim by a kick against the eventual premiers who celebrated like they won the flag after they beat us because they knew we were the toughest opponent they would have to face. I know people like to talk about Hawthorn 2014 being similar, but it's chalk and cheese in terms of where this team is at.

In 2014 we had the following names on our list that didn't play in that 2014 prelim final:

Campbell Heath
Cameron Hitchcock
John Butcher
Lewis Stevenson
Mason Shaw
Sam Colquhoun
Mitch Harvey
Jarrad Redden
Ben Newton
Aaron Young
Brendon Ah Chee
Tom Logan
Dom Cassisi
Paul Stewart
Darcy Byrne-Jones
Karl Amon
Brent Renouf
Kane Mitchell
Daniel Flynn
Sam Russell
Sam Gray

Of those players, only Byrne-Jones, Amon and Gray ended up featuring consistently for the next five years. In the offseason, we added Ryder, Krakouer, Wagner, Frampton, Palmer, Howard and Austin and lost Cassisi, Newton, Renouf, Heath, Hitchcock and Stevenson. By any metric, you would say that we improved in one area (ruck/forward) with Ryder but there wasn't the quality from underneath to push up and challenge for spots.

In 2020 we had the following players who didn't play in the prelim final:

Mitch Georgiades
Sam Hayes
Miles Bergman
Dylan Williams
Jackson Mead
Jarrod Lienert
Joel Garner
Jake Pasini
Wylie Buzza
Jack Watts
Kane Farrell
Joe Atley
Willem Drew
Sam Mayes
Jake Patmore
Boyd Woodcock
Riley Grundy
Martin Fredrick
Tobin Cox
Cameron Sutcliffe
Trent Burgoyne

In the off season, we added Aliir, Fantasia, Jones, Schofield and Goldsack, and lost Watts, Buzza, Atley, Patmore, Grundy, Cox and Sutcliffe. By any metric, you would say that we improved our stock in both forward (Fantasia) and defence (Aliir, Jones). And that's not even mentioning guys who should be pushing for spots this year like Bergman, Williams, Farrell, Garner and Drew.

The arrogance is not without merit.

Back