ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Preview - analysis - predictions (winner, margin, bog, most goals, whatever). Let’s keep it in here and out of the main thread.

Heavyweights going head to head deserves its own thread!

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It will be interesting to see what they do with Randall this week. She’s been playing forward, do they keep her there for a match up with Cuthbo, or send her back to try and contain Houghton?
And who goes to Phillips? You can’t stop her, you just have to try and curb her influence somewhat.
Hatchard and Marinoff v Bowers and Miller will be an interesting game within a game.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It will be interesting to see what they do with Randall this week. She’s been playing forward, do they keep her there for a match up with Cuthbo, or send her back to try and contain Houghton?
And who goes to Phillips? You can’t stop her, you just have to try and curb her influence somewhat.
Hatchard and Marinoff v Bowers and Miller will be an interesting game within a game.
Pugh played a lockdown role a few times last year so they may do that again if she plays predominantly forward?
Would love to see Bowers and Phillips go head to head, it would be like Fyfe and Dangerfield those years ago (if Phillips plays mid) :hearteyes:
Have to be careful with her though from what i've seen she is quite protected, when they played eagles she got a free every time they went near her so don't want to be caught in that trap.
Last time we played crows in a practice match last year they scored really quickly on us out the back and that seems to be how everyone scores on us, Adelaide will make us pay if we aren't tight on that.
Im excited but, will be a phenomenally higher quality game than yesterday whoever gets the points :)

Pugh played a lockdown role a few times last year so they may do that again if she plays predominantly forward?
Would love to see Bowers and Phillips go head to head, it would be like Fyfe and Dangerfield those years ago (if Phillips plays mid) :hearteyes:
Have to be careful with her though from what i've seen she is quite protected, when they played eagles she got a free every time they went near her so don't want to be caught in that trap.
Last time we played crows in a practice match last year they scored really quickly on us out the back and that seems to be how everyone scores on us, Adelaide will make us pay if we aren't tight on that.
Im excited but, will be a phenomenally higher quality game than yesterday whoever gets the points :)

I also think Pughy's best game last year was against Geelong, as a defensive forward on Meg Mac, just tell her to follow Randall wherever she goes.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Adelaide with Phillips back will be a challenge.
And Randall. They are strong across every line, and have a very evenly balanced team. And now with Randall playing a swing role they’ve become quite unpredictable.
I think we can at least contain Phillips in the middle - not stop her, she’s pretty much unstoppable - and their ruck will be giving them first use imo. She is better than Strom (at this point in Storm’s career), so she’ll struggle I think.
Phillips will be most dangerous against us when she goes forward. She has such incredible footy smarts, is agile and puts her head over the footy. I think our smaller backs will struggle to go with her.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m nervous. I don’t have a good feeling about this. But then I’m always nervous. 😞

I think Adelaide looked very good against the giants, we will have heavier legs and playing away. I reckon they'll do us easily unfortunately - I can see a 20-30 point loss coming up personally.
I would say with Phillips though, I don't care how good she is, when you're 35 years old and played a lot of sport over many years you're sore everywhere. We just needs to line her up at every opportunity, legally of course

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I’m nervous as well. But sometimes a loss shows you where your weaknesses are. Hopefully they pull one out but it won’t be the end of the world if they don’t.

Seems like AFLW is slightly leaning Crows.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Adelaide looked very good against the giants, we will have heavier legs and playing away. I reckon they'll do us easily unfortunately - I can see a 20-30 point loss coming up personally.
I would say with Phillips though, I don't care how good she is, when you're 35 years old and played a lot of sport over many years you're sore everywhere. We just needs to line her up at every opportunity, legally of course
I would put Ebony Antonio on Phillips.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I have that inkling too but if it does go ahead, we are going to struggle against Adelaide.

Which is good. I suspect our team thrives on being discounted. They turn it into fuel that enables them to tackle the living bejesus out of everything in sight. Over and over again.

Before I read the thread, the one thought I had was that Ebony Antonio has been a little quiet so far. I would give her a job. And a big part of that job would be to ensure Phillips doesn't take what she likes and, if she somehow does, then she pays.

Apparently it's "Howton" and my feel, my gut instinct, born of a deep and possibly unhealthy fascination with how fast and dangerous she is, is that Gemma will *en annihilate some people this weekend. Just go up in a blaze of insane self-belief, flailing limbs and ponytail, doing unbelievable stuff at unbelievable speed.

God bless you, girls. Get over there and tear some s**t up.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
I have that inkling too but if it does go ahead, we are going to struggle against Adelaide.

Which is good. I suspect our team thrives on being discounted. They turn it into fuel that enables them to tackle the living bejesus out of everything in sight. Over and over again.

Before I read the thread, the one thought I had was that Ebony Antonio has been a little quiet so far. I would give her a job. And a big part of that job would be to ensure Phillips doesn't take what she likes and, if she somehow does, then she pays.

Apparently it's "Howton" and my feel, my gut instinct, born of a deep and possibly unhealthy fascination with how fast and dangerous she is, is that Gemma will fu**en annihilate some people this weekend. Just go up in a blaze of insane self-belief, flailing limbs and ponytail, doing unbelievable stuff at unbelievable speed.

God bless you, girls. Get over there and tear some sh*t up.

I’m not sure struggle is the right word. I’d say we will be severely tested.

Adelaide are the only team to have beaten us at full strength in the last two years - both in the 2019 H&A and in 2020 preseason, but as last year showed they are very reliant on their guns. Whereas we have some guns, I believe we have a greater depth across the team.

They are the strongest team, we are the quickest team and the Roos are the most skilled. If all three teams can remain fit, then it will be an interesting test of the three philosophies. I’m hoping it follows the men’s game where the quickest teams (Tigers and Lions), have typically got it done against the strongest (Port and Geelong) and the most skilful (Eagles and GWS).

It will be a cracking game.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
The games in Victoria on hold?
This week's games must be in doubt.
It doesn't sound like it. Premier Andrews said AFLW and tennis players will be at their workplaces. No crowds, but they're allowed to work.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really? To make Phillips more accountable? Otherwise it would rob us of a potent attacking player.
Phillips starts in the middle and then runs forward plays as permanent forward.

Crows high forwards move up the ground.

Ebony isn’t in awe of Phillips and will make life difficult.

Plus she can run over when we are counter attacking.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like everyone is on the plane to Adelaide except Evie Gooch (who won't be travelling due to DFES commitments)

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Sounds like everyone is on the plane to Adelaide except Evie Gooch (who won't be travelling due to DFES commitments)

In that case, I hope we bring KJ into the guts (where Adelaide are very strong) and shift EAntonio into the back line. I quite like the idea of her going to Phillips - she's about the only girl in the squad with the height and strength to go with Phillips.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
In that case, I hope we bring KJ into the guts (where Adelaide are very strong) and shift EAntonio into the back line. I quite like the idea of her going to Phillips - she's about the only girl in the squad with the height and strength to go with Phillips.
I'm expecting KJ to play regardless. I'm hoping Seth is ready to play as well as she'd cover for Gooch perfectly.

Back