Jong as defensive fwd in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi, seems like Jong is in decent form and has been active in the forward line in the practice sessions. What do we think of him lining up as a defensive forward this year?

- For me he has the speed, team-first work ethic and single-mindedness to play this position.

- Also I feel he's never been a play-maker, so giving him a role might work better.

- He's shown that he can take a mark and kick a goal.

- He is a strong and agressive tackler.

I know we're all hoping that someone like Weightman and Cavarra can have an impact, or that Bailey Dale will finally put a full season together, but for his uncompromising style I'm voting Jong into the fwd line for 2021.

What do you think?

Probably up against Vandemeer and Richards for the HFF spot. I think the other flank will be a resting mid

* I think English will be our other forward pocket*

If he comes in I'd say he'd be plugging holes like Roarke Smith last year.

Last edited:

Jong has nearly all the traits of a solid half forward (speed, endurance, good mark, tough, good tackler). Only thing missing is elite inside 50 delivery which is super important but we could do worse then having him rotating through half forward and the wing.

IMO our best forward mix this year is:

2 key forwards: Naughton and one of Bruce, Schache or JUH
2 Medium Forwards who can swap between high and deep: Wallis & one of Jong, Dale, Hannan, West and Weightman
2 high half forward Smalls who can start in congestion and beat their opposition back + provide consistent forward pressure: Vandermeer & one of Richards, Cav, garcia
1 mobile resting ruck who can move up the ground or shift as an extra back if required: English

Another idea is playing Bont 60/40 forward mid where he could be that medium forward.

My guess for round 1 is Naughton, Bruce, Wallis, English, Jong, Vandermeer and Richards - that's a great mix of pace, marking ability and pressure. It's probably lacking a little x factor and there's no one in that group that can reliably create goals out of nothing but it's enough to kick a winning score against most teams with the amount of delivery they'll get from our midfield.

Hi, seems like Jong is in decent form and has been active in the forward line in the practice sessions. What do we think of him lining up as a defensive forward this year?

- For me he has the speed, team-first work ethic and single-mindedness to play this position.

- Also I feel he's never been a play-maker, so giving him a role might work better.

- He's shown that he can take a mark and kick a goal.

- He is a strong and agressive tackler.

I know we're all hoping that someone like Weightman and Cavarra can have an impact, or that Bailey Dale will finally put a full season together, but for his uncompromising style I'm voting Jong into the fwd line for 2021.

What do you think?
His suspect kicking becomes less of a problem when he's not the one delivering to the forwards. Definitely an interesting new role for him, provided he can stay fit and healthy (which has been his problem his entire career). I reckon he'd thrive given his speed, strength and overhead marking.

I wouldn't want him taking the spot of a small forward, but I do like him in the role that McLean was playing in early 2020. I'd hope Jong would play in the spot that otherwise might have gone to Dale or Schache

Does he get a game?

We have Bruce, Naughton and Wallis as locks, and English will spend the majority of game-time there.

We're likely to have 2 wing/midfielders resting there as well with reduced interchanges so that's six, leaving one bench spot. Bont will spend significant time forward, Macrae and Dunkley have been hinted at in interviews, VDM is a lock in the 22 for mine and he pushes up to the wing and goes forward. There's your mids spending time forward.

That leaves a bench spot as we tend to roll 1 forward, 1 defender, 2 mids (utilities). Richards seems favoured over most options for that last spot but even he might get squeezed out.
That's before we consider that after the first month of the season Hannan will be available.

I like the thinking and do think Jong has the capability to be a run-with player, he may even push for one of the two mid-utility bench spots but I'm not sure he managed to earn a spot unless we have a number of injuries.

Does he get a game?

We have Bruce, Naughton and Wallis as locks, and English will spend the majority of game-time there.

We're likely to have 2 wing/midfielders resting there as well with reduced interchanges so that's six, leaving one bench spot. Bont will spend significant time forward, Macrae and Dunkley have been hinted at in interviews, VDM is a lock in the 22 for mine and he pushes up to the wing and goes forward. There's your mids spending time forward.

That leaves a bench spot as we tend to roll 1 forward, 1 defender, 2 mids (utilities). Richards seems favoured over most options for that last spot but even he might get squeezed out.
That's before we consider that after the first month of the season Hannan will be available.

I like the thinking and do think Jong has the capability to be a run-with player, he may even push for one of the two mid-utility bench spots but I'm not sure he managed to earn a spot unless we have a number of injuries.
He's constantly in the frame for selection whenever fit, and was immediately in the 22 last year before he ended up injured. I think the club views him as a best 22 player, it's just hard to name him in the 22 on paper when he so rarely features. Writing the team out on paper, I struggle to find the place for him assuming everyone's fit, but based on performances in 2020 he has to be among the first 10-15 selected. Was among our best in nearly every game he played

Would take in the side ahead of Vanders, Richards, Cavarra, Rourke, Weightman, Dale and West. Would also play ahead of Lippi.

Offers a lot more than those blokes. Need to also remember, he was a shoulder injury away from being a premiership player.
I’m no Jong hater as I think he can play but no way he would get picked over Vanders as he’s to valuable to the team for the position he plays. If we have a fit side I struggle to see a spot for Jong tho, he will be one of the 1st called up when there’s and injury. West Jong and Hannan will be all battling for that 70% forward 30% midfield roll this year and putting pressure on the 22 to preform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call, we have been crying out for a defensive pressure forward since Clay Smith and Picken retired.

Jong probably isn’t as creative or as dynamic as the aforementioned but his hard as nails, good hands and pace.

In addition Jongy is built for finals, something we have lacked the last two years.

Would take in the side ahead of Vanders, Richards, Cavarra, Rourke, Weightman, Dale and West. Would also play ahead of Lippi.

Offers a lot more than those blokes. Need to also remember, he was a shoulder injury away from being a premiership player.

I obviously have a soft spot for Jong but I see Vandermeer as a walk-up for best 22 such qas the impact he had last year.

VDM is ahead of him for me, Richards toss a coin, ahead of the rest (although Lippi isn't far off).

Hannan plays when fit - Bevo traditionally plays the mature guys we poach from other clubs as we chase them for a reason (Suckers, Duryea, Crozier). Even Trengove was best 22 his first couple of years.

Yeah and before anyone chimes in, sure, Libba is as hard as f**k, but purely at ground level. Jong monster’s full grown men on the deck and 12 feet in the air. Jong is a human-wrecking discombobulator.
Shame he’s made of glass

I obviously have a soft spot for Jong but I see Vandermeer as a walk-up for best 22 such qas the impact he had last year.

VDM is ahead of him for me, Richards toss a coin, ahead of the rest (although Lippi isn't far off).

Hannan plays when fit - Bevo traditionally plays the mature guys we poach from other clubs as we chase them for a reason (Suckers, Duryea, Crozier). Even Trengove was best 22 his first couple of years.

Vanders was very impressive last season and no doubt he’ll probably get the fwd half gig again this season. Mainly in part because he’s the only performing small forward we’ve got at the moment. And he’s not even What you would call a traditional small fwd.

I just think he lacks in a lot of areas. He’s quick and has good footy IQ so he’s able to get in good spots ahead of opponents where he can get a look on goal or get on the end of a short kick inside 30. But his strengths are limited. He lacks height, has almost zero strength below his waiste, lacks aggression and is absolute no marking threat. Dangerous small fwds need some of not most of these to be successful.
His goose steps were pretty impressive but once the element of surprise was gone, he was nailed nearly every time he tried it on an opposition player.

As I said, he’ll most likely get a gig, but he needs to keep improving to keep it as what we’ve seen won’t be enough in the long run.
He’s a talent so hope it does keep coming.

As far as playing ahead of Jong or any others, it depends on how we line up. Personally I like what Jong brings ahead of a lot of others. Strong overhead, pretty quick, extremely aggressive at the contest, can read an inside 50 ball on the lead and the game doesn’t seem to effect him between the ears when he’s on field.
I said it last year, he was the exact type of player we needed when our 22 dropped there bundle in too many games.

However it plays out, barring a long injury list, it’ll be nice to see these blokes fighting for spots. I think we’ll see a lot of improvement across the board because of the stronger list and further development of the previously younger playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back