Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading any social media or even watching abc news today, you'd assume that Collingwood has been a front for the nazi party.

Yeah, the ABC have been going very hard. And much of it has been quite unreasonable.

One report went along the lines of ...

“... and Ed went on and on and on about all the things he’s done , even about LGBTQIA+ stuff and dunno what that’s got to do with anything ...”

... stuff ...

“... anyway, hopefully Collingwood becomes a place that is inclusive, not just on the basis of race, but issues like LGBTQI+ as well”

Another report had a crack at him for deigning to list his social achievements ... and pointing out how incongruent they were with what has gone down over the last few weeks. Well, yeah, what did they expect him to do, confess to being a secret KKK member for the last 23 years?

It’s not going to be smooth sailing. CGU leave at the end of the year, maybe more sponsors to follow.

That stuff will take care of itself. Its possible that the right appointment may bring positive change to that area of the club.

Reading any social media or even watching abc news today, you'd assume that Collingwood has been a front for the nazi party. I'm very scared we are witnessing the last days of Collingwood.

That might be seen as over the top by some, but some of the viewpoints being presented (not just on social media but by credible news outlets) seem incredibly aggressive and pointed towards Collingwood. Whoever comes in needs to act swiftly or we'll find ourselves losing sponsorship and supporters rapidly.

I was listening to ABC radio in perth today. They invited comment via text from the listeners. If you didnt know already, people in Perth hate Eddie. They dont need a reason. They hate the Pies too. They dont need a reason. I suspect a new president, if they are low-key and not connected to the media, might tone the hate a little. If the new person gets the club smelling like roses, it wont change the opinions of opposition fans. We're damned if we fail and damned if we succeed. That's just the way things are...

Reading any social media or even watching abc news today, you'd assume that Collingwood has been a front for the nazi party. I'm very scared we are witnessing the last days of Collingwood.

That might be seen as over the top by some, but some of the viewpoints being presented (not just on social media but by credible news outlets) seem incredibly aggressive and pointed towards Collingwood. Whoever comes in needs to act swiftly or we'll find ourselves losing sponsorship and supporters rapidly.

What is it about the current state of affairs that’s got you fearful? Is it the loss of McGuire or the outcome of the report? Because we are better as a club for both, IMO.

As much as I don’t want to acknowledge the once again ridiculous use of language, but McGuire was a lightning rod for vitriol directed toward our club. With him out of the picture the story will drift away until players are named. In terms of the outcome of the report so long as we implement the recommendations we are absolutely better off.

To put it in terms that are probably more simple Essendon survived the worst story of any of our football lives it was a 9 on the Richter scale. This is a 6 serious, yes, but not to the extreme that the clubs future is in jeopardy.

I think the lynching is all the more worse because McGuire’s nickname of Teflon Ed was well earned and now they’ve got their man the heat will recede. It no doubt feels worse because it’s unfolding right in front of us, but 40 days from now though no one will be talking about it in the media.

Other way I reckon. I think the pass mark has probably been lowered. Finals would do it.

If we have a poor(ish) year, Bucks will be able to speak to the leaking of the report, McGuire going, lots of change generally and say that those are the reasons we have suffered poorer on-field performance.
With what happened this off season, my guess finals, playing good footy.
But really we are all guessing

I dont think Nathan will get away with that. 10th year as coach, enormous media criticism for how he specifically handled key departures last year and perhaps some on field stagnation.

We don't know, it's just a guess. But a rough start could see him sacked before mid season.

I dont think Nathan will get away with that. 10th year as coach, enormous media criticism for how he specifically handled key departures last year and perhaps some on field stagnation.

We don't know, it's just a guess. But a rough start could see him sacked before mid season.

To be honest, I hope he resigns or gets sacked. 10 years as coach and no premierships is not good enough. We need new blood in the coaching department. Harvey and Sanderson...oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be honest, I hope he resigns or gets sacked. 10 years as coach and no premierships is not good enough. We need new blood in the coaching department. Harvey and Sanderson...oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly this!

Eddie is a Collingwood legend in my eyes.

Sometimes you can love the club too much that it can blind you from seeing the reality and Eddie had a bit of that I feel.

Having a club president for anything over 12-15 years at most is not healthy. So it was deffs time for a change. If he was ten years in to and made those comments, no way should he be standing down. I love it when the media hate us , the more hate the better. Otherwise they’re only lifting/ building you up just so the fall feels twice as hard.

Graham Wright will make the right call on Bucks when the time comes. I am stoked to have him replace Walsh. No more boy clubs.
You will be judged on performance and that’s all I want.

Bring democracy to the club. Real elections, real board tickets.

Not overly keen on some of those board members - Waitslitz and Holgate - and others who have held long tenures at the club and did nothing about the systemic racism and boys club culture.

Would be great to get some diversity on the board - not only in terms of ethnicity and gender, but also professional background. We shouldn't just have a corporate board of wealthy execs - it should reflect all walks, including academics, artists etc.

Anyone here want to put their hand up?
Democracy are you serious?! The worst thing you can have is short term thinking. This is a disaster. You remove a successful president without any idea of who might replace him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is it about the current state of affairs that’s got you fearful? Is it the loss of McGuire or the outcome of the report? Because we are better as a club for both, IMO.

As much as I don’t want to acknowledge the once again ridiculous use of language, but McGuire was a lightning rod for vitriol directed toward our club. With him out of the picture the story will drift away until players are named. In terms of the outcome of the report so long as we implement the recommendations we are absolutely better off.

To put it in terms that are probably more simple Essendon survived the worst story of any of our football lives it was a 9 on the Richter scale. This is a 6 serious, yes, but not to the extreme that the clubs future is in jeopardy.

I think the lynching is all the more worse because McGuire’s nickname of Teflon Ed was well earned and now they’ve got their man the heat will recede. It no doubt feels worse because it’s unfolding right in front of us, but 40 days from now though no one will be talking about it in the media.
It's the little things that have got me scared. The way people have twisted words and are attacking everything that is said or done. I've seen memes of us compared to the KKK and other horrible organisations. Clearly we have issues to work on, but the outrage on this seems disproportionate to me. The report itself seems beyond question. I do not think we are inherently racist, but people will just scream at me for even suggesting Collingwood isn't evil.

We commissioned the report ffs! What have other clubs learned by watching this? They'll all do their best to sweep their issues under a rug now.

I guess what is scary is that despite our efforts to improve, no one is allowed to say it do anything to support us right now. I'm actually scared to keep up our premiership poster in my office. We've been targeted for cancelling.

We won't be short of a sponsor, believe me.

IIRC Holden ended their paid sponsorship of the Holden Centre quote a while ago and we’re still yet to find a replacement?

That stuff will take care of itself. Its possible that the right appointment may bring positive change to that area of the club.
I agree, which is why I’m leaning towards Sizer (if she has the capacity)

It's the little things that have got me scared. The way people have twisted words and are attacking everything that is said or done. I've seen memes of us compared to the KKK and other horrible organisations. Clearly we have issues to work on, but the outrage on this seems disproportionate to me. The report itself seems beyond question. I do not think we are inherently racist, but people will just scream at me for even suggesting Collingwood isn't evil.

We commissioned the report ffs! What have other clubs learned by watching this? They'll all do their best to sweep their issues under a rug now.

I guess what is scary is that despite our efforts to improve, no one is allowed to say it do anything to support us right now. I'm actually scared to keep up our premiership poster in my office. We've been targeted for cancelling.
I too have similar feelings. I’ve taken down the Collingwood memorabilia in my classroom, as we are at present associated with racism.

As the club continues to address the report and repair these perceptions, I expect us to recover our reputation.

Come round 1, I will be proudly wearing my membership polo to the G. Still toying with the idea though of wearing a Treloar WB badge. That still burns.

We won't be short of a sponsor, believe me.

My concern is that the concept of sponsorship as an advertising tool is becoming a bit old school and losing its value. Companies can put their brand in front of far more targeted eyeballs using Facebook or Google for a tiny fraction of the price of a major sponsorship.

Look across the brands emblazoned on the front of sports shirts ... how many of them are new exciting progressive brands that have been established in the last 20 years? How many do you reckon will be around in the next 20 years?

That’s the way the world is in 2021 and not a reflection on Collingwood, IMO. Those memes also aren’t likely to push people or sponsors away.

I think other clubs would have taken a number of learnings primarily that they need to get their house in order and also in how not to handle it. It’s the AFL that should be thanking their lucky stars because they’ve come out of this very well.

I can’t comment on your personal situation, but the example you’ve provided to me sounds like small minded people taking advantage of a situation. I would personally never put up Collingwood stuff in the workplace, but if you’ve always felt comfortable with that own it. I’m sure I’ve done nothing to ease your concerns so the best advice I can offer is that the club will endure. It’s up to us now to help make it better whether that be by digging into our pockets or calling out others for their disgusting beliefs.

IIRC Holden ended their paid sponsorship of the Holden Centre quote a while ago and we’re still yet to find a replacement?

I believe you’re correct, but I think it has little to do with the club itself and plenty to do with COVID.

McGuire moving on will also help in this space. It isn’t the 90’s where he did his best work spruiking the club because with social media saturation is not an issue. What we need is to prevent our brand from being associated with poor publicity and to offer value.

Interim leader. Then applications open for a permanent position

The job is Sizers if she wants it. No way Collingwood is now going to pass up on the indigenous woman... the media would crucify the club even further

Sizer gets the job and maybe announces an extension to the rehabilitation program for newly released indigenous inmates... or another new indigenous program

Then the outrage dies down. Eddies been replaced by an indigenous woman....Collingwood has paid penance for its sins (I.e handed money over to a left wing cause)

The anger (and subsequent sackings, apologies, extortion of money) moves on to the next target. The media cycle needs a new headline.

This is all driven by journalists and their activist mates... and they’ve got a nice little racket going on. Journos get the headlines and readership, activists get the increase in funding for their demographic

Oh, and Lumumba gets his payout from both Collingwood and the AFL. Laughing like lucifer himself.

Last edited:
I agree, which is why I’m leaning towards Sizer (if she has the capacity)
Murphy as President and Sizer as VP is my preferred option.
Assuming a better candidate isn’t available and they are both open to it of course.

My concern is that the concept of sponsorship as an advertising tool is becoming a bit old school and losing its value. Companies can put their brand in front of far more targeted eyeballs using Facebook or Google for a tiny fraction of the price of a major sponsorship.

Look across the brands emblazoned on the front of sports shirts ... how many of them are new exciting progressive brands that have been established in the last 20 years? How many do you reckon will be around in the next 20 years?

Sport sponsorship is very niche. To get your brand on a jumper in the AFL you need to be investing $1m or so pa which means you’re probably a $100m organisation and predominantly based in Australia. How many brands established in the past 20 years can afford and need that exposure? If I was an emerging brand I wouldn’t be making that investment either the money would go toward Google ads.

All of Collingwood’s sponsors will survive another 50 years with Latrobe financial (if they’re still with us) the only one I have Q’s over if the government change the mortgage brokering laws. I think here you’re talking Holden and you could see Holden’s demise 20 years in the making...

Collingwood are still a good sell because they get what people investing in sport sponsorship want, eyeballs. The events of the past week won’t change it, but our pitch will need to reflect the new environment.

Interim leader. Then applications open for a permanent position

The job is Sizers if she wants it. No way Collingwood is now going to pass up on the indigenous woman... the media would crucify the club even further

Sizer gets the job and maybe announces an extension to the rehabilitation program for newly released indigenous inmates... or another new indigenous program

Then the outrage dies down. Eddies been replaced by an indigenous woman....Collingwood has paid penance for its sins (I.e handed money over to a left wing cause)

The anger (and subsequent extortion of money) moves on to the next target

Oh, and Lumumba gets his payout from both Collingwood and the AFL
What’s the “left wing cause” you refer to?

Agree to an extent, but putting a brand in front of eyeballs is easy, but building a subtle subconscious emotional connection that endures through association like you get with sponsorship isnt so easy.

What’s the “left wing cause” you refer to?

Only a handful of left wing causes
1. Racism
2. Indigenous and other black peoples
3. LGBTQI
4. Refugees
5. Women
6. Climate change
Only have to read left wing publications to see 80-90% of their articles only cover these 6 or so topics... so whilst these are all legitimate social issues, the left wing obsessions (near religious fixation) with them over anything else makes them a leftwing cause

Sometimes the left wing publications will delve more broadly into other social issues e.g suicide... but only indigenous suicide rates. Family violence... but only women’s experiences of it. Religious intolerance... but only Muslims experience of it

Plenty of social issues and disadvantaged groups out there but lefties only really focus on their set menu of disadvantaged identities and climate change. A lot of this has to do with academia, the influence of activists and the old Marxist battle lines that ran contrary to Conservative positions on family, sexuality, race, religion, nationhood, etc

Last edited:
Back