Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pro's far our weighed the con's in terms of what Ed did for Collingwood.

Whether you like him or not.......social media noise made this happen.
Partly true, but Ed sealed his own fate with that press conference the other day. He mishandled his response to an embarrassing level. I would not be at all surprised if Club Sponsors threatened to walk if he didn't, possibly even staff or other members of the board.

Also, most of the good things he did for Collinwood, and it could be argued the AFL as a whole, weren't in the most recent years. The recent past has basically been stuff up after stuff up. The Malthouse/Buckley saga onwards has been a pretty poor era for Collingwood generally and McGuire specifically.

Really? He probably cost them at least one premiership due to his ridiculous Malthouse to Buckley succession plan. And then he doubled down on his stupidity by sticking with Buckley because he was too hubristic to admit his mistake. They've basically been treading water for the better part of two decades under his watch.

I don't disagree that he was basically done in by a social media lynch mob in this particular instance, but he should've walked of his own accord four or five instances of racism/ bigotry/ tone-deaf boorishness ago. F*** him.

Edit: just read the post above by Devington which articulates this much better than my post.

Really? He probably cost them at least one premiership due to his ridiculous Malthouse to Buckley succession plan. And then he doubled down on his stupidity by sticking with Buckley because he was too hubristic to admit his mistake. They've basically been treading water for the better part of two decades under his watch.

I don't disagree that he was basically done in by a social media lynch mob in this particular instance, but he should've walked of his own accord four or five instances of racism/ bigotry/ tone-deaf boorishness ago. F*** him.

Edit: just read the post above by Devington which articulates this much better than my post.
Malthouse/Buckley thing was a mess but there's no guarantees that they would have won 2 had Malthouse stayed on. You could argue they were lucky to win one against the Saints.

Agree with this Pies supporter. McGuire turned that club around and got it to three GFs and finally a flag. The second half and a bit of his tenure has been less positive for Collingwood. And his continuing failure to reflect and recognise the faults in himself, his hand-picked coach and his club are the main reason he has to get out of the way and let someone else try to get basic people management right.

On the bigger picture legacy, he has some nerve claiming leadership on women’s footy, LGBT+ pride, or anything other than his own club’s immediate self-interest. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Fooled by randomness.

Eddie came on at Collingwood at a time when money started pouring into footy through a focus on memberships, big TV rights deals, etc, all of which makes it much easier to run what was already one of the biggest clubs in the country, which was just in a rough trot.

The blockbuster stuff was already happening (Anzac Day 1995 was before Eddie's time), which made Collingwood's brand that much easier to sell to sponsors. They were already playing fewer and fewer games at Victoria Park, so he can't claim credit for that either.

Getting Mick Malthouse was a good get, although you have to wonder was it really that hard to get a successful coach whose side was starting to wane to come to the biggest club in the land when the only way was up (and when there were a lot of zeros on that cheque)? Their premiership side had a handy smattering of priority picks, which of course you only get due to being shitful. If anything, his success here was in standing by his man, making sure that the coach didn't get sacked when they went back down after the two early grand finals.

Not saying he did nothing, but someone had to be president of Collingwood, and if it wasn't him, would they have done things much differently?

Fooled by randomness.

Eddie came on at Collingwood at a time when money started pouring into footy through a focus on memberships, big TV rights deals, etc, all of which makes it much easier to run what was already one of the biggest clubs in the country, which was just in a rough trot.

The blockbuster stuff was already happening (Anzac Day 1995 was before Eddie's time), which made Collingwood's brand that much easier to sell to sponsors. They were already playing fewer and fewer games at Victoria Park, so he can't claim credit for that either.

Getting Mick Malthouse was a good get, although you have to wonder was it really that hard to get a successful coach whose side was starting to wane to come to the biggest club in the land when the only way was up (and when there were a lot of zeros on that cheque)? Their premiership side had a handy smattering of priority picks, which of course you only get due to being shitful. If anything, his success here was in standing by his man, making sure that the coach didn't get sacked when they went back down after the two early grand finals.

Not saying he did nothing, but someone had to be president of Collingwood, and if it wasn't him, would they have done things much differently?

He marketed a huge demographic that was never maneuvered properly, and he brought in the dollars.

I suppose that's about it, as a single flag is a failure for a club so vastly resourced.

Last edited:
Fooled by randomness.

So sort of like Chris Scott's flag as a coach. The personnel were already there, he had to babysit them.

Looks like I wasn't wrong about Sponsors being sick of heat Ed was causing. Genuinely don't think he is a 'big' enough man to make the decision himself, he was given rather pointed 'help' coming to the decision I suspect.

Say what you want about him, and yeah he's got flaws, and it's not going to happen, but gee I'd love him at Arden Street. Keep him away from the Football stuff and have him focus on the business and commercials. Would be a boon for us.
Not any more he wouldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you want about him, and yeah he's got flaws, and it's not going to happen, but gee I'd love him at Arden Street. Keep him away from the Football stuff and have him focus on the business and commercials. Would be a boon for us.

LOL, he'd never get past the board compliance process.

Looks like I wasn't wrong about Sponsors being sick of heat Ed was causing. Genuinely don't think he is a 'big' enough man to make the decision himself, he was given rather pointed 'help' coming to the decision I suspect.

Yep. It was the sponsors that finished him. That article suggests a $1,000,000 loss in revenue. He couldn’t hold his position after that.

"He's got flaws".

Yes. Yes, he does.

Agree completely.

LOL, he'd never get past the board compliance process.
This is the same board that has just signed off and paid out for the departure of 2 head coaches in the space of 18 months (no other club has had that ignominy), and been the leadership of a club that hasn't seen a finals win in 6 years. Like it or not, those are facts.

Perhaps they've been part of the problem.

This is the same board that has just signed off and paid out for the departure of 2 head coaches in the space of 18 months (no other club has had that ignominy), and been the leadership of a club that hasn't seen a finals win in 6 years. Like it or not, those are facts.

Perhaps they've been part of the problem.

A part?

They run the club.

Image of old Collingwood magazine emerging pretty embarrassing to their claims they didnt know Lamumba was known as the chimp, and the answer to the question "if i was an animal i would be" is pretty interesting as well. Do the players actually answer these questions?
1612914282518.png

Image of old Collingwood magazine emerging pretty embarrassing to their claims they didnt know Lamumba was known as the chimp, and the answer to the question "if i was an animal i would be" is pretty interesting as well. Do the players actually answer these questions?
View attachment 1054829
Yeah we went through that three pages ago but that is a fantastic quality (resolution wise) pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back