Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Scarlett is an obvious choice but only when Chris Scott is ready to go - Scott can stay for another few years as far as I'm concerned, haters be damned!
I'm not convinced about Scarlett. One of the greatest players to wear the blue and white hoops, but does not come across as an impressive individual or particularly articulate. My fear is he could be a 'Justin Leppitsch'

I'm not convinced about Scarlett. One of the greatest players to wear the blue and white hoops, but does not come across as an impressive individual or particularly articulate. My fear is he could be a 'Justin Leppitsch'

listened to an interview with Matthew Scarlett for the first time in a long while recently and was struck by how much his communication has improved - of course that does not mean he’d make a good senior coach, but I’d previously thought it might be an issue; after hearing him speaking to the media clearly and confidently though I no longer consider it a roadblock ..

Same here. Also the game has moved further and further away from coaches needing to be ex-players. Aside from playing for Geelong, he's another assistant. There are a lot of them.

Not as bad as Blight to Ayres
Blight has two flags and 5 grand finals from 11 seasons.

scott has 1 flag and 2 grand finals from 10 seasons.

i dont think you would win that argument.

in any case i wasnt discussing who was bad. I was discussing coaching approach.

blight literally is the most exciting coach of the past 35 years in terms of playing style and coaching moves. No where near the best but most exciting definately.

scott is one of the most boring coaches over that same period despite having incredibly exciting talent at his disposal.

Blight has two flags and 5 grand finals from 11 seasons.

scott has 1 flag and 2 grand finals from 10 seasons.

i dont think you would win that argument.

in any case i wasnt discussing who was bad. I was discussing coaching approach.

blight literally is the most exciting coach of the past 35 years in terms of playing style and coaching moves. No where near the best but most exciting definately.

scott is one of the most boring coaches over that same period despite having incredibly exciting talent at his disposal.
I was referring to rejection of the outgoing coach’s philosophy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was racially abused by cats players, while playing a reserves game if i remember correctly.

As the 1984 VFL season dawned, Muir's relationship with St Kilda had been an on-off affair for six years.

In April, Muir kicked seven goals for St Kilda's reserves against Geelong. His performance was inspired by a torrent of racial abuse from Geelong senior players leaning over the Moorabbin fence as the game progressed. It prompted a forgotten 'Winmar' moment.

"They were calling me black this and that," Muir says.

"So, I took my jumper off and turned it around, gave them the finger, and showed them my skin."

Max Rooke purely because of the way he played the game. If he was half as committed to coaching as he was to winning when playing.

Blight was exciting and unpredictable. He was all out attack. His philosophy was simply to outscore the opposition, a philosophy that is completely outdated. I'm not sure he'd have a clue in the modern era

Um every coaches philosophy is to outscore your opposition including scotts
Yes, but name one modern coach who has the attitude that attack takes precedence over defence all the time, every time? Outscoring the opposition works when your team can pile on the goals, but what happens when your defence leaks like a sieve and/or when your attack is blanketed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back