FA Cup 2020/21

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Ain’t going to convince me playing vibrant football and conceding 5 against a midtable side is the way forward.

But we know where this discussion will end up already.

You’ll say that 3/4 of the squad aren’t good enough, then in the same breath suggest that Jose isn’t good enough despite by your own thinking not have the cattle to win. Then there will be a discussion about Levy’s spending.

I will highlight the hundreds of millions of pounds debt, this will be glossed over. It will be pointed out that whispers from Liverpool is for a quiet summer due to covid, and that for the same reasons Madrid and Barca are skint. The discussion impasse will then led to barbs being traded before we both then choose to pretend the other doesn’t exist.

In these covid times if you are after an overhaul in the summer, be prepared for disappointment. As it stands we just bowed out to a team we have no reason to not be aiming to beat, and got a reminder of what the end of Poch was like. Exciting but leaked like a sieve. Back to compact Spurs please.
Yawn

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
lol.

I see Hawk agrees that this will rightly make Jose go more defensive. We can’t play this way, we’d have the worst defensive record in the league if we did.
We concede just as many good chances when we don't look to score than when we do.

Only poor finishing from Brighton stopped a cricket score, Liverpool went through us like a hot knife through butter & Chelsea had us on the ropes and we didn't play football for nearly 80 mins. Poor keeping from Hugo lead to us conceding 3 of the 5 goals. Throw in a softish penalty.

We played our best football in over 3 months yet sloppy errors still cost us. With a competent keeper we win tonight's game.

To win the xG stats so convincingly when conceding a penalty is telling really. Matty Ryan would have been proud of Hugo's efforts tonight

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just saw the goals, gees Hugo didn't want to get off his line much did he. Suppose you're allowed a stinker every now and then though.
He was very good at the start of the season but much like the team he captain has wobbled since costing us 3 points at Palace

We concede just as many good chances when we don't look to score than when we do.

Only poor finishing from Brighton stopped a cricket score, Liverpool went through us like a hot knife through butter & Chelsea had us on the ropes and we didn't play football for nearly 80 mins. Poor keeping from Hugo lead to us conceding 3 of the 5 goals. Throw in a softish penalty.

We played our best football in over 3 months yet sloppy errors still cost us. With a competent keeper we win tonight's game.

To win the xG stats so convincingly when conceding a penalty is telling really. Matty Ryan would have been proud of Hugo's efforts tonight
Mourinho could easily - and correctly - flip your ideology and argue that in all those 1-1 draws if he had attacking players who didn’t fluff easy chances we’d win those games. Thus vindicating his position as much as you think competent defending does yours.

The solution probably stands in some middle ground.

But this is half the issue with why we argue, things become more permanent ‘problems’ for you than they should be. Yes Lloris had an off night but he is far from being imcompetent as you infer. Up to that game that took us top he was arguably the keeper of the season, and the slide since is not greatly attributed to him.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think Everton are quite a bit better than just 'a midtable team' Artie

Having said that, even with a poor run of results in The last 2 months or so, Spurs should hold onto Jose for at least one more season, it's not like there is anyone else out there that can automatically bring in silverwear to a club that has forgotten how to win them for a very long time.

Jose does, despite his flaws.

I agree, its your best hope. If players arent buying in to Mou-ball then flick them at the end of the season and buh ones that will.
And then replace them all again when Mourinho leaves and the club hires a manager more compatible with what they want their club to be.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I agree, its your best hope. If players arent buying in to Mou-ball then flick them at the end of the season and buh ones that will.
In a COVID transfer market I don't think any club let alone Spurs is spending the 200m+ on 6-8 players like we need for Mou-ball

1x GK: Lloris 12 months left on his contract and dropping away
1x RB: Aurier-Doherty neither good enough
3x CB: Dier, Toby & Sanchez have all let him down. Rodon and Tanganga very raw.
1x CM: An upgrade on Winks and Sissoko who are both hinderances to us when we play against weaker sides
1x AM: With Dele on his way out we need someone with creativity but also someone who can play on the counter
1x ST/W: With Viniscius not up to starting against West Brom at home that experiment isn't worth making permanent.

Do we really expect poor old Joe Lewis to dip into his pockets on his yacht to fund that?

And then replace them all again when Mourinho leaves and the club hires a manager more compatible with what they want their club to be.
And what do we want them to be?

I want us to become winners, and that’s got as many paths as ways you can imagine.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
In a COVID transfer market I don't think any club let alone Spurs is spending the 200m+ on 6-8 players like we need for Mou-ball

1x CM: An upgrade on Winks and Sissoko who are both hinderances to us when we play against weaker sides
1x AM: With Dele on his way out we need someone with creativity but also someone who can play on the counter
1x ST/W: With Viniscius not up to starting against West Brom at home that experiment isn't worth making permanent.

Do we really expect poor old Joe Lewis to dip into his pockets on his yacht to fund that?
The Doherty one was a weird one. At Wolves he played as a WB and in the Irish squad when Coleman was fit he played RW. He's not a PL standard RB but can play good in a back 5. Thought it was overs.

Some of this is a bit hyperbolic.
Lloris.
Centrebacks.

They have some flaws granted but Lloris is perfectly fine and we still ha e a decent defensive record so we probably just need one boss CB to knit them together.

Winks meh, but Sissoko is fine for what he is. A good squad option who is a good workhorse.

Dele. You don’t know that. Read E’to’s quote on Mourinho then think of it with Dele in mind.
There it is! Knew it wouldn’t take long.
We are a self-sustaining club. The obsession with owner funds is astounding.

And what do we want them to be?

I want us to become winners, and that’s got as many paths as ways you can imagine.
You dont want to turn over your squad every time you change a manager.

Your average premier leagye manager lasts 1-2 years iirc, so to build your squad around a particular manager is bound to fail.

Choose your identity, and build a squad around that identity, not around a manager. And my gut feeling is that the long term identity most Spurs fans want their club to have isnt that compatible with Mourinhos.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Doherty one was a weird one. At Wolves he played as a WB and in the Irish squad when Coleman was fit he played RW. He's not a PL standard RB but can play good in a back 5. Thought it was overs.
System based player. Unfortunately it makes a bit of sense.

Cheap fee at 15m. Mendes involved. Didn't work at worst we sell for a very minor loss.

Then why hire him in the first place if you dont want him to be able to work?
All for this antiquated idea of someone more compatible.

Possession and passing with Pep. Pressing with Klopp. Route 1 with Sam. Are these more compatible with these players than what Jose has come up with?

We just came out of 5 years of pressing football and tried to play on the front foot today... shipped 5 goals to a squad no better than us.

You dont want to turn over your squad every time you change a manager.

Your average premier leagye manager lasts 1-2 years iirc, so to build your squad around a particular manager is bound to fail.

Choose your identity, and build a squad around that identity, not around a manager. And my gut feeling is that the long term identity most Spurs fans want their club to have isnt that compatible with Mourinhos.
Most spurs fans are happy with attacking flair football that lives up to our motto... but wins nothing.

So frankly couldn’t give a toss what half those idiots are after. I’m saying that maybe our identity needs to change as it has barely worked for close to 40 years, and maybe Jose is the first experiment in discovering this.

Back