No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If midfields were enough, the Pies would have won a flag. Reckon the dogs lack a bit too much in other areas of the ground.

Lions and Port are the ones to watch IMO. Lions have added Daniher which was their one desperate need, they've got the smart smalls up front that apply pressure, the good disposal out of D50 and now two of the best KPP in the game - add to that a handful of extremely good youngsters that haven't hit their peak yet.

If they can get Cockatoo fit and firing, he and Charlie Cameron will be as close as possible to Rioli and Puopolo as far as "shitting your dacks if you've got the ball in defense" goes.

Both really missed a trick in 2020, set up with home prelims and lots of games at home throughout the year especially the Lions.

Lions just weren’t ready last year - they’ve gone from straight sets to a prelim however so it’s the right trajectory to be on. If Daniher fires then they’re my pick for the flag.

Lions just weren’t ready last year - they’ve gone from straight sets to a prelim however so it’s the right trajectory to be on. If Daniher fires then they’re my pick for the flag.

If Neale gets injured they are toast. They needed to bring in another quality mid.

But I hope they do well, and I hope Daniher makes Essendon fans so unhappy that they eat their fists.

If Neale gets injured they are toast. They needed to bring in another quality mid.

But I hope they do well, and I hope Daniher makes Essendon fans so unhappy that they eat their fists.

Plenty of Teams would be toast if their best mid got injured. Dustin Martin goes out of that Richmond side at the wrong time and their game plan changes dramatically.

Plenty of Teams would be toast if their best mid got injured. Dustin Martin goes out of that Richmond side at the wrong time and their game plan changes dramatically.

My point is the Lions are particularly susceptible, as they lack depth in the middle. The fact Neale is one of the best mids in the game is additional.

Lack of depth in the F50 key positions is understandable, for example, but you would hate to lose a flag chance because you didn't built mid depth.

Yep - our 2013-15 team was rare as had quality and depth across every line.

Talent seems more uneven across most good teams these days And injuries can make a big difference. Still, every team knows what dusty and tiges will do and can’t stop it (some parallels to us in 2013-15).

Port got pretty bloody close in that prelim - always need a bit of luck (ie odds of us winning that 2013 prelim at 3QT?). Not yet convinced that Brisbane’s team holds up in a tight final.

My point is the Lions are particularly susceptible, as they lack depth in the middle. The fact Neale is one of the best mids in the game is additional.

Lack of depth in the F50 key positions is understandable, for example, but you would hate to lose a flag chance because you didn't built mid depth.

Wouldn't underestimate how quickly McCluggage and Berry are developing, they're showing potential to be very good midfielders. Rayner could graduate into that role sooner than later too. Add those to Zorko and Lyons who are very good in their own right, it's not that weak.

My money is on McCluggage graduating to be one of the very best midfielders in the comp tbh, especially if he can improve his goal accuracy.

Wouldn't underestimate how quickly McCluggage and Berry are developing, they're showing potential to be very good midfielders. Rayner could graduate into that role sooner than later too. Add those to Zorko and Lyons who are very good in their own right, it's not that weak.

My money is on McCluggage graduating to be one of the very best midfielders in the comp tbh, especially if he can improve his goal accuracy.
Agree. McCluggage is quickly become a special player.

Not yet convinced that Brisbane’s team holds up in a tight final.

Richmond came at them in the 4th last year and got within 8 points in the QF and they didn’t wilt.

Same here. A fit Daniher will make a huge difference for the Lions, IMO he's guaranteed to kick 50+ and will also give Hipwood a chop-out.

They make for two very difficult KPF matchups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Silky skills and is very damaging even with a lower possession count compared to other midfielders.

I hope we don't see a repeat GF, but it wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see the same teams competing in the 2021 Grand Final.
Reckon one of them will drop away , not out of finals but out of the top 4.
Tigers with off field dramas that eventually will take a toll , the Cats are old they are 2-3 injuries and players hitting the cliff together falling off the pace .

Not yet convinced the Lions have the class. Don't forget Daniher is one of the worst shots at goal in the comp and they already have Hipwood shanking them. Plus daniher so injury prone. Reckon they are a prelim level side not GF.

Reckon one of them will drop away , not out of finals but out of the top 4.
Tigers with off field dramas that eventually will take a toll , the Cats are old they are 2-3 injuries and players hitting the cliff together falling off the pace .

This is the more plausible one IMO, I really can't see Richmond not being around prelim final weekend at the very least.

You can't budget for Daniher to play all 22. Tipping after 5 games he'll get some kind of niggle.
I was told last week that he has done every session and is flying. Lions have great fitness staff preparing and rehabbing players. They seem to have gotten cockatoo going too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back