Status
Not open for further replies.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I be cancelled for complaining :) Sorry I ever mentioned it now he he.

ok I give you one example pulling of Faulty Towers German episode.
There be people here who will be happy it pulled and others who are not.
You know what they are both right.

I think if an overcorrection is required as part of getting towards a fairer world then that's just something we have to be a part of.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And no, I don't object to women keeping their own name and actually encouraged my fiancé to retain hers. What's your point? I'm all for equality, but not when organisations and people go outwardly the other way when they end up appointing people (be it directors or partners, certain levels of management etc.) that are incompetent or unsuitable for the role in order to achieve certain quotas which I'm seeing time and time again to the detriment of more qualified people.

I'm not too sure what link you're trying to establish between equality / quotas with referring to Lumumba to by his actual name?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think if an overcorrection is required as part of getting towards a fairer world then that's just something we have to be a part of.
I understand that. I probably just been cancelled for complaining things can go to far. :)
Although I do think it goes too far sometimes.
I mean seeing I am over 50.. I seen some stuff I called out at the time when I was younger. Where others at the time thought it was the norm.
ok no more on the topic.. Sorry I even mentioned it now..
Ok when footy start

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because sooner or later you'll be trotting the next card out.

Your response makes no logical sense to me in the context of Lumumba's name.

For the record, I am much more open to discuss the merit (or lack thereof) of racial and gender quotas, and genuinely sit on the fence on that debate. Can discuss in another thread at another time as again, I do not see its relevance in your refusal to acknowledge Lumumba by his actual name.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Although think Rohan Atkinson saying recently it like a digital lynch mob looking for someone to burn.
There is some truth in that.

1613024881194.png

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Really, REALLY annoys me when people refer to others by their dead names, because it reminds me of how much I'm having to fight to get people to use my proper pronouns (last year I finally came out as non-binary after nearly 3 decades of debating gender with myself and use they/them/their pronouns). It stings when people call me she/her. I can only imagine how painful it is to have people throw your dead name around.

His name is Heritier Lumumba. Not hard to type. Or pronounce really.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really, REALLY annoys me when people refer to others by their dead names, because it reminds me of how much I'm having to fight to get people to use my proper pronouns (last year I finally came out as non-binary after nearly 3 decades of debating gender with myself and use they/them/their pronouns). It stings when people call me she/her. I can only imagine how painful it is to have people throw your dead name around.

His name is Heritier Lumumba. Not hard to type. Or pronounce really.
Sounds kind of regal as well.

I'd love to change my name. It's always grated with me.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Well as a minority I am glad social media exists and their "manufactured outrage" actually has benefited my life. I was born overseas but moved to Australia at age 2. My brother was born here. Ever since I could remember for the past 30 odd years I have been asked where I was from and often times "Brisbane" was not a satisfactory answer. 15 odd years ago there were plenty of youtube videos pointing out that often "where are you from" is code for "why are you black/brown/asian". Nowadays it has entered the zeitgeist that you can be Australian/American/British and also be ethnically Asian/African etc. I work in healthcare and treat a wide range of patients. At the start of my career Id see all ages congratulating me on my English (despite it being my first language). For the past decade that number has dramatically reduced to well-meaning but ignorant octogenarians. I have also changed through social media. I grew up calling things faggy and gay. I have seen the culture wars between the so-called "manufactured outrage" and those anti-PCers but these debates have gotten me to reconsider how I use my language and the inadvertent hurt I may have caused homosexual people by equating those terms with negative attributes despite never intending them to mean anything about homosexuality. PC culture has gotten me to reconsider my attitudes towards others.

"Cancel culture" is funny to read about, years after guys like Kaepernick, Abdul-Rauf, Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Peter Norman, and even Ali to a degree all got "cancelled" for some or all of the remainder of their career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well as a minority I am glad social media exists and their "manufactured outrage" actually has benefited my life. I was born overseas but moved to Australia at age 2. My brother was born here. Ever since I could remember for the past 30 odd years I have been asked where I was from and often times "Brisbane" was not a satisfactory answer. 15 odd years ago there were plenty of youtube videos pointing out that often "where are you from" is code for "why are you black/brown/asian". Nowadays it has entered the zeitgeist that you can be Australian/American/British and also be ethnically Asian/African etc. I work in healthcare and treat a wide range of patients. At the start of my career Id see all ages congratulating me on my English (despite it being my first language). For the past decade that number has dramatically reduced to well-meaning but ignorant octogenarians. I have also changed through social media. I grew up calling things faggy and gay. I have seen the culture wars between the so-called "manufactured outrage" and those anti-PCers but these debates have gotten me to reconsider how I use my language and the inadvertent hurt I may have caused homosexual people by equating those terms with negative attributes despite never intending them to mean anything about homosexuality. PC culture has gotten me to reconsider my attitudes towards others.

Great post. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I agree that the debate can serve as a very useful tool to facilitate one's reflection of their own behaviours and attitudes.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

interesting article by Forbes. I hope you read it.
So she is basically saying that because the way things are are inherently based on a white centred lens that anyone who accepts all of the laws and structures and social norms of the society that is based on this white centred lens is a white supremacist. Now we've both given her more oxygen than she deserves

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So she is basically saying that because the way things are are inherently based on a white centred lens that anyone who accepts all of the laws and structures and social norms of the society that is based on this white centred lens is a white supremacist. Now we've both given her more oxygen than she deserves
It's a sweeping statement article high on preaching low on rational explanation of the complexity of the issue.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dunno if this is the right thread, but anyone watching the kangaroos demons aflw game? Cracker of a contest

Edit: can't wait to see how our girls go against the better teams. Reckon they're good enough to compete based on this and their season to date

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And for a completely different topic:
This year, the League will also trial forcing three players from each team to return to inside-50 zones for each throw-in and kick-in at VFL level. There is potential to add that rule to the AFL in coming seasons and Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Matthews supports the concept.

I will watch this with interest

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yes it can be a good thing. I'm on the left side politically but PC can sometimes be taken too far. When something occurs the first reaction of many is outrage and condemnation where rational discussion of the "outrage" is often shot down by the ignorant outraged

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes it can be a good thing. I'm on the left side politically but PC can sometimes be taken too far. When something occurs the first reaction of many is outrage and condemnation where rational discussion of the "outrage" is often shot down by the ignorant outraged
History repeats and ironically we're heading back to 18th and 19th Century Britain and Europe where every word and nuance was dissectected to detect falsity or innappropriateness.

You can find all the current movements throughout the ages from Trumpism to Wokeness ,Climate change activism and Far Right ideologies if you have a look. They went under different names but the same emotional and argumentative reasoning.

It'll be something else when we're all gone. People now think they're very much at the forefront of social change but in every era the wider community thinks they're on the verge of some apocalypse or other and they know what has to be done to prevent it.

The post nuclear age (say 1945 on) has been remarkable for apart from a few devastating skirmishes the absence of an all in war with the most powerful protagonists. It'll happen but what form it takes remains to be seen. Which is when the peripheral social issues will take a back seat.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Assuming for a second that the round 2 game at the Cattery goes ahead. A tough game down there always but if given the option I would much rather a game down there at the start of the season given they have a pretty old list & may take a month or so to get into the swing of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back