Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What rot!
Why is it rot. Ats has many strengths, a lockdown defender is not one of them. The reason we got Marley is that we needEd someone who could lock down on small forward. Marley could do that which freed Ats to do what he is good at:run and carry and rebound. As Gav Brown says today that is the role they are looking at for Ronny.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Why is it rot. Ats has many strengths, a lockdown defender is not one of them. The reason we got Marley is that we needEd someone who could lock down on small forward. Marley could do that which freed Ats to do what he is good at:run and carry and rebound. As Gav Brown says today that is the role they are looking at for Ronny.

When did this happen:

Ats can‘t play the lockdown role eg Betts sliced him to bits.

2020: Betts copped a bath.
2019: Betts kicked 3. Atley played on Riley Knight and beat him.
2018: Betts kicked 1. Atley kicked 2.
2017: Betts kicked 3 on M. Williams. North won by 10 goals.
2016: Betts kicked 1, 2 & 6 in the elimination final. Atley was moved on to him after he kicked 2 and Betts kicked 3 on Atley, 2 of which I would defy any defender to stop. Kyron Hayden certainly wouldn't.

You're basically basing your premise on a half of hot football that Betts played 5 years ago.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When did this happen:

2020: Betts copped a bath.
2019: Betts kicked 3. Atley played on Riley Knight and beat him.
2018: Betts kicked 1. Atley kicked 2.
2017: Betts kicked 3 on M. Williams. North won by 10 goals.
2016: Betts kicked 1, 2 & 6 in the elimination final. Atley was moved on to him after he kicked 2 and Betts kicked 3 on Atley, 2 of which I would defy any defender to stop. Kyron Hayden certainly wouldn't.

You're basically basing your premise on a half of hot football that Betts played 5 years ago.
i Watch a lot of tapes of our games. In NEarly all of them Scott Thompson played on Betts. & did a good job. We stated at the time we recruited Marley that we got him to be a lockdown defender which is why he played on Charlie Cameron et al. As Gav Brown says today we are looking at Ronny for that role. It isn’ t that Ats cant play it is that he is not a lockdown defender. He breaks line with his pace, that’s his go.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
i Watch a lot of tapes of our games.

You must have shithouse memory then.

In NEarly all of them Scott Thompson played on Betts. & did a good job. We stated at the time we recruited Marley that we got him to be a lockdown defender which is why he played on Charlie Cameron et al. As Gav Brown says today we are looking at Ronny for that role. It isn’ t that Ats cant play it is that he is not a lockdown defender. He breaks line with his pace, that’s his go.

So basically you had no point re-Atley.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well done, the team and analysis is pretty spot on.
Although W Walker & Lazarro are mids, Xerri is a ruck/forward.
Maybe another tall in the 22. Not sure about Phillips yet, perhaps Perez/Mahoney/Haydon/Atu/Menedue/Turner/Garner or a tall take that spot until he, or any of the newbies, have exposed form.

If Menadue plays before Phillips this joint will explode.

The lack of run in the back 6 is mildly concerning. If Corr plays a more attacking role it will help.

Dumont is no chance after his 2nd reasonably serious Calf. The first one at Xmas certainly was.

B: McDonald - Tarrant - McKay
HB: Hayden - Corr - Atu
C: Polec - Anderson - Scott
HF: Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
F: Stephenson - Cunnington - Thomas
R: Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I/C: Phillips Mahony Ziebell Atley

Em: Spicer Perez Lazarro Powell

Last edited:
If Menadue plays before Phillips this joint will explode.

Same, I thought the point of picking him to play him in rd 1, just like Rowell played against PA in round 1. But I do understand the hesitation and thoughts other have on playing him.

Clarification: I meant that in his draft class he is the best ready made midfielder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Same, I thought the point of picking him to play him in rd 1, just like Rowell played against PA in round 1. But I do understand the hesitation and thoughts other have on playing him.

Clarification: I meant that in his draft class he is the best ready made midfielder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Judd didn’t play round 1 in his year.
It was a mistake they soon rectified.

I just want to see him pile drive that seagull Rockliff. I don’t really know why, but one big tackle in front of the Members wing, we all go nuts... and he is away. The career begins. And he’ll get better and more confident each week until he gets tired and then you give him a rest and bring him back through the VFL.

I guess that’s how I would want my first year to go as the best midfielder in the draft.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
B: McDonald - McKay - Ziebell
F: Butters - Dixon - Gray

HB: Corr - Tarrant - Atley
HF: Rozee - ??????? - Fantasia (I suspect ??????? will be Georgiades or Marshall)

C: Polec - Cunnington - Hall
C: Amon - Boak - Duursma

HF: Taylor - Zurhaar - Garner
HB: Burton - Allir - Hartlett

F: Stephenson - Larkey - Turner
B: Byrne-Jones - Jonas - Houston

R: Lycett - Wines - Powell Pepper

I/C: Anderson - Scott - Thomas - Xerri/J. Walker
I/C: Rockliff - Motlop - ??????? - Ladhams

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Port can be beaten.

Round 16 2020

North

In: Cunnington, Corr, Stephenson, Garner, Taylor, Thomas, Turner (Xerri/J. Walker)
Out: Dumont, Higgins, Hosie, Perez, Vickers Willis, Williams, Wood (J. Walker)

Last edited:
B: McDonald - McKay - Ziebell
F: Motlop - Dixon - Gray

HB: Corr - Tarrant - Atley
HF: Rozee - ??????? - Fantasia (I suspect ??????? will be Georgiades or Marshall)

C: Amon - Boak - Duursma

HF: Taylor - Zurhaar - Garner
HB: Burton - Allir - Hartlett

F: Stephenson - Larkey - Turner
B: Byrne-Jones - Jonas - Houston

R: Lycett - Wines - Powell Pepper

I/C: Anderson - Scott - Thomas - Xerri/J. Walker
I/C: Rockliff - ??????? - ??????? - Ladhams

Zak butterss will definitely be playing also. I like the line up though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Zak butterss will definitely be playing also. I like the line up though

Yep, fixed.

I suspect we'll be fielding a 3-4 goal better side compared to last year.

The blokes in royal blue bold text are all current improvements on the blokes in white bold text. Only Higgins & Dumont would threaten for spots on them.

The port side won't improve by as much. Allir & a 2nd KPF.

Last edited:
Yep, fixed.

I suspect we'll be fielding a 3-4 goal better side compared to last year.

I definitely think we can match them with intensity and speed this time.

My only little concerns/questions are:
- Halls defensive efforts
- Do we get Lmac to tag Boak?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Looking at how they’ve line up in intra clubs the last month

Hayden. McKay* Corr
McDonald Tarrant Ziebell

Polec* Cunnington Scott
Goldstein Anderson Simpkin

Thomas Larkey Stephenson
Turner Zurhaar LDU

Atley Mahoney* Dumont* Taylor

* assuming McKay is in ahead of Walker
* Polec/Mahoney/Dumont depending fitness

Skinner has played all intra clubs in the main team. It’ll be interesting to see if they go with him if taken, Xerri or go small.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Skinner has played all intra clubs in the main team. It’ll be interesting to see if they go with him if taken, Xerri or go small.

Xerri has kicked goals and I reckon they will want a forward ruck to switch up the forward line.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m changing after watching training yesterday.

FB Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB Ziebell McKay McDonald
C. Polec LDU Scott
HF Taylor Larkey. Stephenson
FF Turner Zurhaar. Thomas
FOL. Goldy Cunners. Simpkin
I/C Phillips, Anderson, Atley, Powell/Lazzaro

Scott definitely plays. I actually forgot Thomas last time. Been really impressed with Lazzaro & Powell but I can’t see them both debuting in rd 1. I’ve still got Phillips in there but he won’t play if they keep hiding him on the hff.

Edit- Swapped out Hall for Atley. Atley definitely plays

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m changing after watching training yesterday.

FB Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB Ziebell McKay McDonald
C. Polec LDU Scott
HF Taylor Larkey. Stephenson
FF Turner Zurhaar. Thomas
FOL. Goldy Cunners. Simpkin
I/C Phillips, Anderson, Hall, Powell/Lazzaro

Scott definitely plays. I actually forgot Thomas last time. Been really impressed with Lazzaro & Powell but I can’t see them both debuting in rd 1. I’ve still got Phillips in there but he won’t play if they keep hiding him on the hff.

It may be the case with Phillips that they know he is a midfield gun but are deliberately trying to add a second string to his bow.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It may be the case with Phillips that they know he is a midfield gun but are deliberately trying to add a second string to his bow.

Yeah that’s my opinion too. And he’s still just a kid training with men for the first time, it’s a long preseason, don’t want him sore before the season even starts. They probably also want to have a look at running others through the midfield. Lazzaro and Powell were very impressive. Before Cunners went off, the B team was up against Goldy, Simpkin, Cunners and Anderson. The B team had Hall, Tyson and rotated first year player. If they had 3 first year players they wouldn’t have stood a chance of winning the footy because the other boys are so much stronger. it’s also better for our starting midfield to be practicing against seasoned bodies as they prepare for rd1. No point beating up on kids only to get found out when they face proper opposition.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Odd considering other midfielders do have capabilities to play elsewhere.

I suspect he'll be given whatever time it takes to get up to scratch as an AFL midfielder and that's where he'll play full time.

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB Hayden McKay Atley
HB Tarrant Corr McDonald
C Polec Cunnington Hall
HF Stephenson Xerri Taylor
FF Zurhaar Larkey Garner

R Goldstein Ldu Simpkin
I/C Scott Ziebell Anderson Thomas

I like Tarrant playing the third key defenders role, by far the best interceptor we have in the team. Xerri I think will be given a fair crack at it to start the season and see if he works well with Goldstein, which would mean we see Goldy playing forward a fair amount this year.

FB: McDonald - McKay - Tarrant
HB: Atley - Corr - Ziebell
HF: Stephenson - Larkey - Taylor
FF: Turner - Xerri - Zurhaar

FOL: Goldstein - Simpkin - LDU
I/C: Anderson - Scott/Dumont - Thomas - Hayden

I really had to think about this with all our new inclusions and imo we start with our absolute strongest team there is, which is sort of the ‘benchmark’. Then we can start weaving kids into the team.

I’m tossing and turning between Scott and Dumont, upsides to Dumont: very good defence on the wing, downsides to Dumont: slow.

Xerri as we probably know will be rotating with Goldy

I’m not very good at making starting line ups so feel free to give criticism

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Odd considering other midfielders do have capabilities to play elsewhere.

I suspect he'll be given whatever time it takes to get up to scratch as an AFL midfielder and that's where he'll play full time.

Midfielders with that second string to their bow, like Simpkin in the forward line, can play seniors early and hold their spot even if they are not predominantly used in their preferred/long term position. LDU probably struggled to maintain his seniors spot for a while because he wasn't quite ready to step into a predominantly midfield role and/or there wasn't a spot there for him, and he never quite adapted to forward role.

Will may be a pure centreman/mid. If that is the case he either plays seniors in that role or develops in the VFL until ready.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Midfielders with that second string to their bow, like Simpkin in the forward line, can play seniors early and hold their spot even if they are not predominantly used in their preferred/long term position. LDU probably struggled to maintain his seniors spot for a while because he wasn't quite ready to step into a predominantly midfield role and/or there wasn't a spot there for him, and he never quite adapted to forward role.

Will may be a pure centreman/mid. If that is the case he either plays seniors in that role or develops in the VFL until ready.

He'll eventually be a midfielder who goes forward. For some bizarre reason people construe this as him becoming a full forward. It won't happen.

I see him playing on the back of the offensive press up a la Martin. He'll start at centre clearances and then rotate forward of the stoppages.

Back