Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we have just lost two half backs and he’s shown great form there in the VFL and averages about 10 touches on the wing.
He's played approximately 90% on a wing and half forward in the VFL and most of his games at AFL level has been as a forward. We've picked up Hind as a half back and we already have guys like Redman, Ridley, Francis as rebounding defenders anyway

He's played approximately 90% on a wing and half forward in the VFL and most of his games at AFL level has been as a forward. We've picked up Hind as a half back and we already have guys like Redman, Ridley, Francis as rebounding defenders anyway

From the six or seven VFL games in 2019 I went to he played half back in most of them. Certainly had a license to get up the ground and rotated through the wing and even half forward, but I thought he was at his best being a handball receiver from 50-60 out from our defensive goal.

As for rebounders, I want nearly everyone in defence to do it. Can carry one for defensive lock downs but give me the Short, Baker, Grimes, Vlaustin, Houli, Balta mix, only Astbury can’t.

Calm down man

While Ridley and Francis do intercept and therefore rebound they don’t run and carry or link up.. certainly Francis doesn’t

While Ridley and Francis do intercept and therefore rebound they don’t run and carry or link up.. certainly Francis doesn’t
Still, I think it's a waste of Ham's aerobic capacity to play as a half back instead of a wing. We don't really need him in defence.

Still, I think it's a waste of Ham's aerobic capacity to play as a half back instead of a wing. We don't really need him in defence.
Ideally our best runners play wing / midfield but team balance is just as important. Ultimately I like him on a wing too but he is yet to dominate a game there and we are short a small defender.

I can see the argument that as a disciplined guy who can cover the ground and distribute well (and now has at least some size) he may be worth trying back at some stage this year to address a need. Small defenders end up racking up big kms anyway.

Ideally our best runners play wing / midfield but team balance is just as important. Ultimately I like him on a wing too but he is yet to dominate a game there and we are short a small defender.

I can see the argument that as a disciplined guy who can cover the ground and distribute well (and now has at least some size) he may be worth trying back at some stage this year to address a need. Small defenders end up racking up big kms anyway.
I know he only had the 15 touches but his game against Collingwood was pretty damn impressive

I know he only had the 15 touches but his game against Collingwood was pretty damn impressive
Yes it was. Quality touches too. Still though it was more glimmering potential than domination.

While some wanted him delisted I really rate him and see a bright future.. Definitely more champagne ham than spam. I think we fundamentally agree he will end up on a wing. I just don’t mind if there are a couple of detours as he rounds out his game.

Yes it was. Quality touches too. Still though it was more glimmering potential than domination.

While some wanted him delisted I really rate him and see a bright future.. Definitely more champagne ham than spam. I think we fundamentally agree he will end up on a wing. I just don’t mind if there are a couple of detours as he rounds out his game.
But we could put Smith on one HBF and Ham on the other
Devon & Ham flanks :p

But we could put Smith on one HBF and Ham on the other
Devon & Ham flanks :p
If only we had former Carlton player Jed Lamb

Ham flanks
Lamb shanks

We already have enough players with sham tanks

If only we had former Carlton player Jed Lamb

Ham flanks
Lamb shanks

We already have enough players with sham tanks
We were into him when he left Sydney, weren't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of interesting bits in that one, including the obvious move to the inside;

What’s an attribute you’ve personally noticed which has drastically improved over this pre-season?

"I think last year, I had the speed and the endurance to mix it up on the outside, but now I’m trying to mix it all together. I had a bit of a crack at an inside midfield position at under-18s level and I felt like I was pretty comfortable there, so now I’m trying to bring it over to here. I’ve been able to take part in a couple of drills on the inside and use my strength, which I’ve had to work on a fair bit, but I feel like I’m also at a solid enough level to have a crack in there. Coming into the club at 68kg in my first year and now at about 77kg, I'm still running alright."

How competitive has it been between yourself and the other midfielders for those limited spots in the side?

"It’s a healthy competition. You’ve obviously got some highly-classed inside midfielders and sometimes you have your doubts on whether you’ll get a game in there or not at times. But there’s been opportunities for me on the outside in that wing sort of role and I’ve really enjoyed that and it’s something I think can go on again this year and I can further my craft out there. There’s obviously that healthy competition and everyone is making each other better."

Is there anyone in particular who’s taken you under their wing this pre-season to help you improve?

"This pre-season it’s been guys like (Darcy) Parish, Zach Merrett and 'Shiely' (Dylan Shiel) who have been teaching me those little patterns and body movements on the inside to try and make me confident in wherever I may play."

Off the track, take us through who you’re living with and what they’re like.

"I’m living with big 'BZT' (Brandon Zerk-Thatcher) and Zach Reid, the new draftee. If I was to say which one’s worse than the other, it’d probably be BZT, because he’s got a couple of strange attributes that take a bit of time to get used to. But overall, there’s good camaraderie within the household, which is nice."

Hopefully this. Stop him getting brushed aside so easily in a contest. Highly doubt we ever see him play as an inside mid

I'd imagine someone like a Whitfield or Scully would be his ideal type; hard running outside player that can at least hold their own over a contested ball on the wing or outside stoppages. Not a bottom of the pack clearance player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back