No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. A fit Daniher will make a huge difference for the Lions, IMO he's guaranteed to kick 50+ and will also give Hipwood a chop-out.

They make for two very difficult KPF matchups.
I think Daniher recruitment will cause them headaches. Not sure how he fits with Hipwood.

I think Daniher recruitment will cause them headaches. Not sure how he fits with Hipwood.
Hipwood is still more flanker than kpf. Daniher will do relief ruck work. I think it is going to put them right in the frame if he stays fit.

Hipwood is still more flanker than kpf. Daniher will do relief ruck work. I think it is going to put them right in the frame if he stays fit.
He was probably already carrying some niggles TB4 he got there.

Tassie going to lose that game of bluff. Covid has destroyed the AFL’s ability to invest
Yeah doesn't seem like great timing to be making that kind of ultimatum.

It'll likely cost the AFL more to bring in a Tassie team than they'd be losing if Tassie did back out. The AFL can't really afford the risk of bringing in another team now even if they wanted to. And Tassie stand to lose quite a bit in tourism money if the AFL doesn't fixture any games down there.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the politician responsible for robbing my state of 4-8 AFL games a year through a failed bluff.

Yeah doesn't seem like great timing to be making that kind of ultimatum.

It'll likely cost the AFL more to bring in a Tassie team than they'd be losing if Tassie did back out. The AFL can't really afford the risk of bringing in another team now even if they wanted to. And Tassie stand to lose quite a bit in tourism money if the AFL doesn't fixture any games down there.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the politician responsible for robbing my state of 4-8 AFL games a year through a failed bluff.
Tassy bluff face 😂

Unknown.png

Not yet convinced the Lions have the class. Don't forget Daniher is one of the worst shots at goal in the comp and they already have Hipwood shanking them. Plus daniher so injury prone. Reckon they are a prelim level side not GF.
Agree based on last year's output. Difference is Brisbane have MUCH more scope for improvement than Richmond or Geelong due to the age of their list. If Rayner explodes the way Petracca did last year (maybe be a year or two away but he probably will play more midfield) they'll be hard to stop, even without Daniher firing.

It isn’t even clear it would be a good investment.
Would love to see the difference in investment and return between the AFL funding the whole AFLW or setting up a stand alone Tassie team.

As an aside I really don't have an issue with the women's comp, just the modelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone still optimistic about a relatively normal season ? With snap lockdowns that happen at the blink of an eye.

Nope, not a chance!!! The other challenge is what if a snap lock down is extended if they find more cases?? The potential saving grace is that AFL is considered essential workers like Aust Open?

Nope, not a chance!!! The other challenge is what if a snap lock down is extended if they find more cases?? The potential saving grace is that AFL is considered essential workers like Aust Open?

This is what happens with the EPL in England also, and with the testing protocols they undertake they really should receive some grace as they are of absolute minimal risk to the community, but who knows if they'll get any exemptions from Aus politicians.

Tassie going to lose that game of bluff. Covid has destroyed the AFL’s ability to invest

It's great politics from Gutwein. And in practical terms he is going to need to find savings in his state budget.

Funding schools and hospitals or a professional sporting team? Easiest decision he'll ever make.

It's great politics from Gutwein. And in practical terms he is going to need to find savings in his state budget.

Funding schools and hospitals or a professional sporting team? Easiest decision he'll ever make.
What $$$ return to they get from the sponsorship in terms of tourism?

What $$$ return to they get from the sponsorship in terms of tourism?
I forget the numbers but the deal won the Qantas Tourism Award a couple of years back.

It's 5x or something - well worth it.

so on Mess's point, i'm not sure taxpayers are too unhappy about the sponsorship, or at least the ones working in Tourism....
I'm sure anyone who cares to check the numbers would see it as a positive financial (& social) investment.

Just gotta hope that most voters check the numbers I guess :shrug:

so on Mess's point, i'm not sure taxpayers are too unhappy about the sponsorship, or at least the ones working in Tourism....

It has been a positive return, but the only thing certain is the outlay. Given the lack of OS travel in the next 1-2 years the competition for travel dollars just thinned out too.

It has been a positive return, but the only thing certain is the outlay. Given the lack of OS travel in the next 1-2 years the competition for travel dollars just thinned out too.
Could be worth more though if domestic boarders are kept open. Australia is a net importer of tourism which means more dollars travel out of the country than into the country. There is actually a huge opportunity here to attract more domestic tourists.

Would love to see the difference in investment and return between the AFL funding the whole AFLW or setting up a stand alone Tassie team.

As an aside I really don't have an issue with the women's comp, just the modelling.

The cost to the AFL of carrying the cost of GWS, Gold Coast and a standalone Tassie team would mammoth any cost of the AFLW. The Tassie team wouldn’t result in an extra game per week so would do nothing for the TV rights overall also.

Could be worth more though if domestic boarders are kept open. Australia is a net importer of tourism which means more dollars travel out of the country than into the country. There is actually a huge opportunity here to attract more domestic tourists.

I would also wonder whether they now need the investment of the sponsorship agreement to achieve the tourist outcome. Is the 2019 audit available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back