Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to admit there are many other sports fans that contribute here intent on trolling AFL footy with ridiculous and inflammatory statements.

A secure AFL fan might treat such claims with the contempt deserved, its the incessant need to compare other sports with the AFL Its non AFL for a reason.

You have to admit there are many AFL fans that contribute here intent on pumping up AFL footy & knocking other sports & their fans. Is that insecurity?
It just a shame for sports fans here that some AFL fans couldn't put aside their obvious fears and prejudices and backed the bid to bring the soccer world cup here, but fear is a terrible thing and eats away a persons inside causing them ulcers.
All true sports fans would have loved the soccer world world cup to come here. Insular fans who only really follow one sport wouldn't

It just a shame for sports fans here that some AFL fans couldn't put aside their obvious fears and prejudices and backed the bid to bring the soccer world cup here, but fear is a terrible thing and eats away a persons inside causing them ulcers.
All true sports fans would have loved the soccer world world cup to come here. Insular fans who only really follow one sport wouldn't

Better served asking why the bid was SO POOR. Not one country was fooled by its inadequacy. You want support you go around & get it by negotiation. What were they thinking IF anything at all, grounds would be delivered by Fed Govt decree .... how much did we pay someone to run that line.
As I've said before, the successful US bid should have been the template.

So why so much anti soccer rhetoric on these very boards from insular fans?

Have you ever seen another sports board? Im on The Roar, 442 and Leagueunlimited. And its no more or less than anything posted on these places, and a damn sight tamer than most. If AFL fans are insular, then so is everyone else.

Obviously trolling now. As I said earlier, do you think NFL, EPL, NBA, La Liga etc competition boards and its fans would have been even half as accepting or cooperative as what the AFL and its supporters were for a different sporting code?
AFL and NRL are, for a major sport, probably the most accommodating sports fans and bodies in the entire world.

One of the big problems is the modern Australian soccer fan.
They think the game started in Australia about 15 years ago.
They think wearing a Leicester shirt manufactured in China is the height of cosmopolitanism. The only thing they're missing is cold pork pie and warm lager.
In the meantime we have to listen to their delusions about the sleeping giant...

They think wearing a Leicester shirt manufactured in China is the height of cosmopolitanism. The only thing they're missing is cold pork pie and warm lager.
In the meantime we have to listen to their delusions about the sleeping giant...

:thumbsu:

See above, there is no need to make an equivalence.

Such a shame that lockdown happened. It was building nicely and really felt normal the last of days after a slow start.

Nicks match last night got just over a million people on the TV as well. Again, was building nicely but that drama train has been stopped. Probably, Wont see ratings like that til the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sleeping Giant has been asleep for over 100 years in Australia and esp the last 70 since WW2 and all the MILLIONS of soccer fan migrants coming to Australia in that time haven't made any difference if anything it has gone backwards!

The Sleeping Giant has been asleep for over 100 years in Australia and esp the last 70 since WW2 and all the MILLIONS of soccer fan migrants coming to Australia in that time haven't made any difference if anything it has gone backwards!

Its Aus soccer that doesnt grab them, they still follow the game at its highest level ? Its an international sport thing.

Its Aus soccer that doesnt grab them, they still follow the game at its highest level ? Its an international sport thing.

But the AFL's not an international sport and the WAFL has pretty much gone nigh nighs since the Eagles were founded?

People will mostly watch the dominant competition in their vicinity of a sport they are passionate about.

Some soccer fans are eurosnobs, sure, but ultimately the sport just isn't as popular as many soccer fans here are convinced.

The NBA has gone way passed the EPL now in this country

Such a shame that lockdown happened. It was building nicely and really felt normal the last of days after a slow start.

Nicks match last night got just over a million people on the TV as well. Again, was building nicely but that drama train has been stopped. Probably, Wont see ratings like that til the finals.

Got 1.271 avg and 1.8 mill peak, that's massive for a third round game
If he goes on a big run one day it'll be crazy to see how popular he gets - I saw heaps of ppl having bbq's and dinners to watch his game on Friday

But the AFL's not an international sport and the WAFL has pretty much gone nigh nighs since the Eagles were founded?

People will mostly watch the dominant competition in their vicinity of a sport they are passionate about.

Some soccer fans are eurosnobs, sure, but ultimately the sport just isn't as popular as many soccer fans here are convinced.

The NBA has gone way passed the EPL now in this country

& this thread is not about the AFL.

TV ratings for AO (roughly)
Saturday night 764K session 1 (Barty)
session 2 564K ( De Minaur )

Sunday night
500K (Novak and Halep)

Monday Night
726K (Barty)

Last night was killed by having one short match on. But Barty is building nicely. the issue for ch.9 is that Barty will now, most likely, play 2 late afternoon matches on Wednesday and Thursday as the women on that side of the draw play back to back matches.

IF Barty can make the final, the final numbers will depend on how well 9 can get the word out. It should be huge. The highest-rated women's match for an AO was probably(I am guessing) the Dokic quarter-final v Safina back in 2009. That got 2.3mil. TV has changed since then but, surely, a similar number at least.

Last years Womens final got .9 mil, the men's got 1.5 mil, Nick 1.8. All ratings are metro.

See that's the problem, I'm a football fan, not a "true sports fan" as you like to put it.

I love Australian Football and nothing else, football comes first before any other sport for me. I don't think there is any problem with that.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

See that's the problem, I'm a football fan, not a "true sports fan" as you like to put it.

I love Australian Football and nothing else, football comes first before any other sport for me. I don't think there is any problem with that.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

So why come to a thread discussing non - AFL issues to talk about the AFL?

See cricket is concerned about the depth of talent at the top end with ODI an issue:

'The Marsh Cup has become marginalised ever since the explosion of the Big Bash League and in recent years it has largely been used as a pre-season warm-up tournament for the Sheffield Shield.

Fox Cricket, which has exclusive rights to the Marsh Cup and broadcasts 13 games, is aware of the backroom push to separate white-ball and red-ball contracts in a move that would allow the likes of Chris Lynn, Jono Wells, Chris Green and Dan Christian to participate.

..... there are genuine concerns over the talent pool, given that would see an extra two teams participate.

A round of one-day cricket using BBL teams would require 88 domestic cricketers, up from 66 in the current format (six teams) and 64 in the BBL (eight teams with three overseas players).

Melbourne Stars boss Nick Cummins said there was merit in exploring the splitting of red and white-ball contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back