What do you think are the greatest riffs and hooks of all time?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
They did some terrific material early on, but what a fall from grace in their later years - one of the biggest declines in rock music (and there have been some stinkers)

What?

They had one of the biggest and best comebacks ever. It was their middle period that went flat.

Ann Wilson was sounding amazing in the mid to late 80's.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
They did some terrific material early on, but what a fall from grace in their later years - one of the biggest declines in rock music (and there have been some stinkers)

Huh? What an odd comment.

They’ve had regularly charting albums for 40 years. I saw them not so many years ago when they came to Australia in support of Def Leppard and they were fantastic. Anne Wilson’s voice is possibly the best female vocal in rock music (live it is something special) and Nancy remains one of rock’s finest guitarists.

edit - Bostonian beat me to it.

Aug 31, 2012
Pining for the fjords
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
******* stupid game
A few that (I think) haven't been mentioned.

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It), Sympathy For The Devil, Brown Sugar. Hell, I could list another dozen Stones songs.
The Doors - Light My Fire
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
Metallica - Seek and Destroy, again I could list another dozen
The Who - Pinball Wizard, Won't Get Fooled Again
Romantics - What I Like About You (another one that's so catchy it's in ad after ad)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Slade - Run Runaway
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall pt 2
Dixie Chicks - Goodbye Earl
Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone

I could go on for hours.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Any zillion of them from Prince, Angus Young or Eddie Van Halen. Edge from U2 had some good ones too. Led Zeppelin got some good ones from well before my time that famous too. Guitarist in Rebel Yell for Billy Idol had a good one too. ZZ Top plenty, Red Hot Chilli Peppers too got some good funky ones influenced from Prince and Angus

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Good nod, I'll add:

I've always thought Siamese was a touch overrated on the whole, but there's some beautiful guitar work throughout. Cherub Rock has the most triumphant opening riff I've heard.

Cherub Rock changed my listening and understanding of music forever. I'd been learning guitar for about a year before I heard that riff and the very first time I heard it I thought, 'I've been waiting for this'. I struggled to learn to play it by ear(pre-internet) yet mastered it and still play it to this day, I learnt to play it acoustically... Like this..

That video taught me so much.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Found this live version of Computer Blue. Probably before he became famous and the Purple Rain movie.

I loved hearing this in the car on long drives out in the country but the album version was too short for mine, for something just loved the guitar work on.
That Purple Rain cassette got worn out in late 80's in the car and probably died a death left on seat in the summer Sun at one point.

Back