People that sell tips.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In the age of social media has anyone ever joined any of those people/group selling tips?

If so how did it go?? stories...good or bad

I get it... they make their money from other people but is there any that have been good to you? or horror stories etc

Discuss.

Depends where their edge is. Bookie bans and bet limiting will dry up any potential profit

Plus a constant stream of income always more preferable to a volatile stream.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the age of social media has anyone ever joined any of those people/group selling tips?

If so how did it go?? stories...good or bad

I get it... they make their money from other people but is there any that have been good to you? or horror stories etc

Discuss.
There was an article on Daily Profit a while ago where he tracked 100 of these for 5 yrs.

2 were still going

halapenyo

Debutant
Sep 25, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve always thought that if these so called ‘experts’ were that good, they could just get rich punting, instead of resorting to selling tips!

You cant get rich punting in australia. All the bookies will ban you before you win anything meaningful, and Betfair has terrible liquidity so you cant get big bets on most things.

Also having to call to place live bets make it very difficult to hedge.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You cant get rich punting in australia. All the bookies will ban you before you win anything meaningful, and Betfair has terrible liquidity so you cant get big bets on most things.

Also having to call to place live bets make it very difficult to hedge.
We've had this discussion many times.

You can make consistent money on the punt but it's incredibly difficult to make a living. Especially post POC. To make a consistent profit you need a niche which is ahead of the curve plus an option to execute that consistently with corp limits etc. Then when that niche is closed, which it always is, you need to evolve and find a new one.

ricardogp

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
McLaren
I've paid for tips a couple of times. I don't have a problem with it or people selling tips, but I think there is a big chunk of caveat emptor attached.
  • You have to have access to all their markets. Useless if one of your tipster's big soccer markets is 'cards in second half' if you need to hunt around for a bookie that does that. And as Jugada says, if you stick to main markets there is probably very little to no edge already
  • You need to stay sharp to get their prices. I have followed some European/US people and when I see what they have tipped, the price was either only available on a couple of bookies or is already stale.
  • You need to weigh up their price against what you think their returns will be. So if you are a casual low stakes punter you will risk losing half your return to their fee.
You also need to find good tipsters. I know a few who have freely shared their info and then after a couple of years their general line is "sharing my tip used to be fun but now I've created a monster in my followers that want tips every day, so I need to charge in order to make it worth my time". Which is fair enough. But there are also plenty of shady tipsters with 1 good month (apparently) under their belt who spot a business opportunity, focus on marketing, steal other people's tips and sometimes even falsify their own. So do your research.

I do have a bit of respect for the good ones, because they have to put up with the crap from the trolls that think a tip is a sure winner and go mental when they blow half their week's pay on it. It seems very few people realise it is a long term thing.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep you need to see a solid body of reliable work before committing to anything. Variance will allow some to make short term profit. Then factor in the cost of tips to net profit. Given very few are making more than 1-2% profit it's a tough game.

I’ve always thought that if these so called ‘experts’ were that good, they could just get rich punting, instead of resorting to selling tips!
I stand corrected. Never really looked into it TBH. Just a mug punter. (Cleaned up on the Flemington races yesterday though!🍻)

Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks
anyone a subscriber of Tom Waterhouse tips? https://www.tomwaterhouse.com/

Not sure if I would be willing to invest in any of his tips.....can understand why for some it would be a good little side earner

Im assuming this is a piss take but if its not all he does is back 1.50 - 2.00 shots

Blind freddy can do that and that isnt worth s**t as a tip

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've paid for tips a couple of times. I don't have a problem with it or people selling tips, but I think there is a big chunk of caveat emptor attached.
  • You have to have access to all their markets. Useless if one of your tipster's big soccer markets is 'cards in second half' if you need to hunt around for a bookie that does that. And as Jugada says, if you stick to main markets there is probably very little to no edge already
  • You need to stay sharp to get their prices. I have followed some European/US people and when I see what they have tipped, the price was either only available on a couple of bookies or is already stale.
  • You need to weigh up their price against what you think their returns will be. So if you are a casual low stakes punter you will risk losing half your return to their fee.
You also need to find good tipsters. I know a few who have freely shared their info and then after a couple of years their general line is "sharing my tip used to be fun but now I've created a monster in my followers that want tips every day, so I need to charge in order to make it worth my time". Which is fair enough. But there are also plenty of shady tipsters with 1 good month (apparently) under their belt who spot a business opportunity, focus on marketing, steal other people's tips and sometimes even falsify their own. So do your research.

I do have a bit of respect for the good ones, because they have to put up with the crap from the trolls that think a tip is a sure winner and go mental when they blow half their week's pay on it. It seems very few people realise it is a long term thing.
i have only just seen this thread but staking is vitally important in making a profit. Even if a tipping service makes a small loss, with a good staking plan that can be turned into a profit. But as always the profits will dry up if the edge is found. It will inevitably happen.

ricardogp

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
McLaren
I tend to agree that with the info out there it is a lot easier for the average joe to make a more informed decision. But there are a lot of decision factors that I think only come with experience. In tennis, there is a lot that goes into match ups of styles (eg big hitters or positional players) on particular surfaces which won't come out in the stats. I've also seen a few instances of punters taking *entire* H2Hs into account even though in one match one player was a teenager in their first tournament, or one match was one of these crappy 'next gen' first-to-4 tourneys.

Stats can certainly be useful, but also can be a hindrance without experience & understanding. And *some* tipsters (I'm probably talking under 5%) can roll all that into a nice package. The great ones even follow all their social media accounts to check on injuries and jet lag, which gives an extra edge and I definitely don't have time to do!

Sent using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
I feel like the Tom Waterhouse website with their promotions especially with the one on Boxing Day- it always seem to me that he is trying a bit too hard, with attractive females in the ad?

Im not sure if he is trying to be weird, funny, different .......

i have only just seen this thread but staking is vitally important in making a profit. Even if a tipping service makes a small loss, with a good staking plan that can be turned into a profit. But as always the profits will dry up if the edge is found. It will inevitably happen.

you can’t turn a losing set of selections into profit through staking. You might be able to limit your losses though

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
you can’t turn a losing set of selections into profit through staking. You might be able to limit your losses though

Yeah you can. Sort of anyway. How they track their bets and POT to begin with is a staking plan itself so if they are using a poor one then the results can end up more favourable with a better staking plan. If it's marginal either way then it could tip from an overall loss to win

Yeah you can. Sort of anyway. How they track their bets and POT to begin with is a staking plan itself so if they are using a poor one then the results can end up more favourable with a better staking plan. If it's marginal either way then it could tip from an overall loss to win

I am talking about a system that makes a loss on flat staking - mathematically impossible to turn that into a profitable system via a staking plan.

Back