Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I did address his efforts as a forward as well. He was a full time forward without reaching anywhere near the same success he has had since moving back. Yea he was younger but he was swung back half way through 2017 and instantly looked a much better player.

Yes he has not had a large string of games forward since but every time he has gone forward it hasn’t worked overly well. He has started a couple games forward as well when we were desperate for a target before (I assume) Clarko decided to move him back.

I just strongly disagree with the logic. We have some decent defenders that can play a similar role but none even close to the level he plays at. He can play forward a bit but not even close to the level he is at when playing as a defender. Yet a fairly large group of people seem convinced he should move forward long term.
Sic is pretty much one of our best players basically isn’t he? And this has a lot to do with him breaking lines with stupidly good kicks from HB

Sic is pretty much one of our best players basically isn’t he? And this has a lot to do with him breaking lines with stupidly good kicks from HB
I have been in the Sicily to chb since the year before we tried him back so you won’t find any bigger advocate than me for him playing defence. While it is undoubtably his best position, I can see our forward line crying out for his class. It will be interesting to see where he lines up once fit.

DGB also likely to move forward at times. Athletically he’s a weapon given those mitts.

So pumped we got him, was a standout pickup for mine given the onballers coming through the draft next year.

Didn’t think we had a chance to call his name, man I hope he develops to the fullest of his potential. He’ll be scary good if he does.
I thought the same. I though he was no chance to get to our pick. A quality KP player fell in our lap. I doubt anyone will be disappointed with this pick moving forward. I pray for good health and longevity in the game for DGB.

I have been in the Sicily to chb since the year before we tried him back so you won’t find any bigger advocate than me for him playing defence. While it is undoubtably his best position, I can see our forward line crying out for his class. It will be interesting to see where he lines up once fit.

If it wasn’t for injury he would have been all Australian for the past 3 years.

However with Day / Scrimshaw / Greaves / DGB our back half is pretty well covered moving forward.

Forwards who have the ability to kick 40-50 goals who have X factor with being able to kick goals when they are most needed are the hardest players to find. Add to this the marketing factor we would have with James playing forward (something which we have lacked over the past few years) and I believe it all points to Sicily lining up a FF in rd1 2022!

Sicily is one of the elite backmen in the game. His marking and kicking is second to none. We've got an elite player there, so why move him to a spot where he is likely only going to be "good" at best.

I would if it was the best move for the team.

To win, Sicily would probably be happy to sacrifice his own game and play forward.
Hopefully Denver can free him from the backline.
images (5).jpeg

The move of Kosi forward this pre season tells me that Sicily isn't going anywhere but chb. Hartigan is a stop gap for the moment to give DGB time to develop his strength but ultimately I think the backine looks like

Greaves DGB Harwick
Scrimshaw Sic Day

It remains to see how long it takes DGB to develop body wise but playing SANFL seniors hopefully put him in good stead.

In any event we aren't challenging this year or next so no harm letting him develop even if he is a little undersized to begin with so long as we manage his confidence and don't put him on Hawkins types (I.e. dawson) but rather the Daniher, Cameron style forwards.

The move of Kosi forward this pre season tells me that Sicily isn't going anywhere but chb. Hartigan is a stop gap for the moment to give DGB time to develop his strength but ultimately I think the backine looks like

Greaves DGB Harwick
Scrimshaw Sic Day

It remains to see how long it takes DGB to develop body wise but playing SANFL seniors hopefully put him in good stead.

In any event we aren't challenging this year or next so no harm letting him develop even if he is a little undersized to begin with so long as we manage his confidence and don't put him on Hawkins types (I.e. dawson) but rather the Daniher, Cameron style forwards.

I don’t think Day will finish the season in the backline

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Greaves DGB Harwick
Scrimshaw Sic Day

WAFL.

Greaves DGB Harwick
Scrimshaw Sic Day

Need a line-breaking runner in that defence & there's no chance we don't play Frost & Hartigan.

Impey has to play HBF.

Need a line-breaking runner in that defence & there's no chance we don't play Frost & Hartigan.

Impey has to play HBF.

Yeah it's fair enough, especially if Brockman can come in and play that forward pocket with pace kind of role. I'd have liked to have seen Impey used up forward but he does seem to be a better player when playing in the backline.

We have some very good kicks now coming through the backline, and they have decent pace - Greaves, Scrimshaw, Sicily, with DGB and Downie hopefully playing too. Whilst they are all fairly quick none of them have that real line-breaking pace bar Frost, and he's not the guy that should be delivering it to the forwards.

IMO Impey could replace Burgoyne's role in the side in terms of his versatility. Or maybe that will end up being Day in the long-run?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it's fair enough, especially if Brockman can come in and play that forward pocket with pace kind of role. I'd have liked to have seen Impey used up forward but he does seem to be a better player when playing in the backline.

We have some very good kicks now coming through the backline, and they have decent pace - Greaves, Scrimshaw, Sicily, with DGB and Downie hopefully playing too. Whilst they are all fairly quick none of them have that real line-breaking pace bar Frost, and he's not the guy that should be delivering it to the forwards.

IMO Impey could replace Burgoyne's role in the side in terms of his versatility. Or maybe that will end up being Day in the long-run?
I don't discount his ability, but I see Day as Gunston-type versatile, different to Burgoyne-type versatile.

And he has both depth & accuracy off both feet - need him forward where he can hit a team-mate or reach a dangerous position from range.

This Sam Mitchell was pretty clear in his comments a few weeks ago that Impey was going to play defence
It would take 2020-level stupidity to continue with a bunch of Stoppers in defence & a diminished capability for rebound.

It would take 2020-level stupidity to continue with a bunch of Stoppers in defence & a diminished capability for rebound.
I was really frustrated when we lined up with Stratton, Frawley, McEvoy and frost in the back six. Was never going to generate attack from defence with those four given only frost is likely to run and he isn’t a great kick.

I was really frustrated when we lined up with Stratton, Frawley, McEvoy and frost in the back six. Was never going to generate attack from defence with those four given only frost is likely to run and he isn’t a great kick.
You had me at McEvoy.

I'd like to see JOM play Silk's role(s) when he retires. We just need to find a couple of midfield gems to allow that to happen.

I want to have good feelings about DGB, but all I have is worry, and I need to get it off my chest:

Worries:
a "defender",
long kick but not elite;
not that tall - looks 3rd tall size when standing next to opponents,
endurance looks a weakness, -
Not an abundance of athleticism
Often choses to not keep his feet
What type of elite player does he become? Sicily - Gibson? they are rare freaks who were never expected to become gun key defenders
Pick 6 is what hurts - even if he turns out to be a pick 20-40 type player. I just can't see the pay-off right now.

Time will tell, but i think it is going to be a long year of watching other club draftees go past him.

I tend to be a pessimist, but I have more worry than excitement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back