Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
But you guys want Cripps .... don't you ??
me personally. In a way yes but not paying over the odds for him. Depends where Carlton finish. If Carlton finish bottom 5 and Cripps wants to leave, would a top 5 pick be adequate compo?

Cerra and a top 10 pick for Cripps is excessive.

Cripps is good but he isn't Chris Judd

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
me personally. In a way yes but not paying over the odds for him. Depends where Carlton finish. If Carlton finish bottom 5 and Cripps wants to leave, would a top 5 pick be adequate compo?

Cerra and a top 10 pick for Cripps is excessive.

Cripps is good but he isn't Chris Judd

Cripps tag-teaming with Fyfe would propel your team into certain finalists.

He is an elite player so for you guys to secure him you are going to have to pay an elite price.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
would potentially work well. But this is Freo we are talking about here.

Freo have far more pressing needs than an inside mid, and tbh I'm not sure bringing in Cripps is the answer at all. Especially if you lose a future star like Cerra in the process.

A Cripps/Cerra trade would be mutual destruction, and I think Freo end up a little worse out of it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Freo have far more pressing needs than an inside mid, and tbh I'm not sure bringing in Cripps is the answer at all. Especially if you lose a future star like Cerra in the process.

A Cripps/Cerra trade would be mutual destruction, and I think Freo end up a little worse out of it.
Whaaaat!?!

Not by a long shot.

Losing Cripps would set Carlton back 3 to 5 years, and almost certainly a bottom 3 team for at least 3 more years.

Where as Fremantle have better and more young talent than Carlton, and could survive the loss of Cerra and two first round picks.

Cripps makes Fremantle an instant top 8 team. And far more attractive destination club for other WA players to return to.

OOC at the end of the year, and likely to generate a lot of interest from Vic-based clubs.

What's he worth? One top 5 pick?

I can see a club like Hawthorn offering him a decent deal, and they'll have the collateral to get a trade done.

I can’t see Hawthorn going Cerra. He’d cost too much trade wise and Fremantle would demand a very high price.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Whaaaat!?!

Not by a long shot.

Losing Cripps would set Carlton back 3 to 5 years, and almost certainly a bottom 3 team for at least 3 more years.

Where as Fremantle have better and more young talent than Carlton, and could survive the loss of Cerra and two first round picks.

Cripps makes Fremantle an instant top 8 team. And far more attractive destination club for other WA players to return to.

That’s a hell of a lot of hyperbole.

Cripps is a great player and an elite midfielder but losing him isn’t going to determine our fortunes in any shape or form. If it’s a direct swap for Cerra and 1st round pick (in a draft full of quality mids) we’d just reset and aim for finals the following year. Weitering, McKay and Walsh hold as much value to the team going forward, and losing any of them would be as big a blow as losing Cripps IMO.

Freo’s issue isn’t their lack of inside mids; it’s their average forwardline, which obtaining Cripps does nothing to reconcile. In addition to that they lose the outside class of Cerra, who was pivotal in a number of their wins last year and is on track to become a star of the competition. So instead of dominating at Freo, Carlton grab him right as he’s starting to peak.

I’m standing by the comment. Freo come off worse in a potential Cripps for Cerra and 1st round round pick trade.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
That’s a hell of a lot of hyperbole.

Cripps is a great player and an elite midfielder but losing him isn’t going to determine our fortunes in any shape or form. If it’s a direct swap for Cerra and 1st round pick (in a draft full of quality mids) we’d just reset and aim for finals the following year. Weitering, McKay and Walsh hold as much value to the team going forward, and losing any of them would be as big a blow as losing Cripps IMO.

Freo’s issue isn’t their lack of inside mids; it’s their average forwardline, which obtaining Cripps does nothing to reconcile. In addition to that they lose the outside class of Cerra, who was pivotal in a number of their wins last year and is on track to become a star of the competition. So instead of dominating at Freo, Carlton grab him right as he’s starting to peak.

I’m standing by the comment. Freo come off worse in a potential Cripps for Cerra and 1st round round pick trade.
There wasn’t any hyperbole in my post.

You don’t have anyone even close to Cripps’s class to win the ball for you, currently developing on your team.

It’s not like Cripps hasn’t one you games either.

As I said, losing Cripps sets you back 3 to 5 years. And that is factoring waiting for the young mid you draft to replace Cripps to develop.

Put Cripps in Freo, and that frees Fyfe to play almost exclusively forward. Their forward line would be just fine.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I can’t see Hawthorn going Cerra. He’d cost too much trade wise and Fremantle would demand a very high price.
Cerra probably would cost a fair bit. But you know as well as I do your man coach clarko would get the best out of him.

You guys traded heavily for Wingard

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
There wasn’t any hyperbole in my post.

You don’t have anyone even close to Cripps’s class to win the ball for you, currently developing on your team.

It’s not like Cripps hasn’t one you games either.

As I said, losing Cripps sets you back 3 to 5 years. And that is factoring waiting for the young mid you draft to replace Cripps to develop.

Put Cripps in Freo, and that frees Fyfe to play almost exclusively forward. Their forward line would be just fine.

3-5 years? After accumulating talent for close to five years, including Weitering, McKay and Walsh, and having just added Saad and Williams on top of Martin the previous year? Please. Not to mention in that proposal we’d also be adding another gun in Cerra.

Cripps won’t be replaced like-for-like, but we will be find other avenues to generate clearances. Setterfield is developing into a good inside midfielder, Walsh is capable on the inside, we’ve just added Williams to play in there and I’m assuming Cerra would also spend a fair bit of time at the stoppages. Ed Curnow, who’s also a very decent defensive mid probably goes on a little longer, and then there’s a number of unknowns in Dow, Kemp and Stocker. We’d hate to lose Cripps, but wouldn’t be too impacted in the mid-term.

Even with Fyfe forward Freo’s lineup looks suspect, and their next best up the ground is Taberner. Also can’t understate losing Cerra from their midfield mix either with Mundy on the cusp of retirement. Their midfield then loses a hell of a lot of run, and they’d already lost Hill and Langdon a year ago. The side loses a fair bit of balance and doesn’t have picks or cap space to bring in what they really need: a key forward.

I half suspect you’re trolling, but we’d adapt if Cripps left, and we certainly wouldn’t go close to the catastrophic situation you’re describing - especially if we nab a genuine gun in Cerra in the process.

Could end up similar to the Wingard trade for Port. From the outset it looks like a loss, but long term we’d be bringing in a couple of young guns to compliment the existing talent on our list.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I said, losing Cripps sets you back 3 to 5 years.
Not necessarily at all.

Hell it might not even set them back 2 years.

It's being widely reported that Carlton are after Zach Merrett, so what if he agrees to join Carlton, through FA (costing them no picks), and Cerra agrees to be traded there as part of the Cripps deal (along with say Freos first rounder).

Out: Cripps
In: Merrett, Cerra, 2 gun mids from pick 10ish in draft (from Carlton's first and Freo's first).

Merrett and Cerra immediately balance out the loss of Cripps and then you've got a couple of gun kids from the draft who might also be able to make an immediate impact as well.

Then perhaps pick up a Luke Dunstan for nothing to be that inside pig in the short term.

Every chance they're an immediately better team, in spite of the loss of Cripps.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
3-5 years? After accumulating talent for close to five years, including Weitering, McKay and Walsh, and having just added Saad and Williams on top of Martin the previous year? Please. Not to mention in that proposal we’d also be adding another gun in Cerra.

Cripps won’t be replaced like-for-like, but we will be find other avenues to generate clearances. Setterfield is developing into a good inside midfielder, Walsh is capable on the inside, we’ve just added Williams to play in there and I’m assuming Cerra would also spend a fair bit of time at the stoppages. Ed Curnow, who’s also a very decent defensive mid probably goes on a little longer, and then there’s a number of unknowns in Dow, Kemp and Stocker. We’d hate to lose Cripps, but wouldn’t be too impacted in the mid-term.

Even with Fyfe forward Freo’s lineup looks suspect, and their next best up the ground is Taberner. Also can’t understate losing Cerra from their midfield mix either with Mundy on the cusp of retirement. Their midfield then loses a hell of a lot of run, and they’d already lost Hill and Langdon a year ago. The side loses a fair bit of balance and doesn’t have picks or cap space to bring in what they really need: a key forward.

I half suspect you’re trolling, but we’d adapt if Cripps left, and we certainly wouldn’t go close to the catastrophic situation you’re describing - especially if we nab a genuine gun in Cerra in the process.

Could end up similar to the Wingard trade for Port. From the outset it looks like a loss, but long term we’d be bringing in a couple of young guns to compliment the existing talent on our list.
Not trolling at all. Not one bit.

Weitering and McKay are (Weitering), or might be (McKay), good players, but if your midfield can’t get on top, then your defence gets overwhelmed and your forwards starved of decent service.

I’ve got no skin in this discussion, just providing an outsiders perspective.

You’re right, Carlton might be better off in the mid to long term. That’s why I said Carlton’s development, or time line would be pushed back 3 to 5 years.

At Brisbane we’ve seen how important an elite clearance mid is, and how having one can change the fortunes of your team.

I think Cerra would easily demand a top 10 pick. Lachie Weller went for pick 3 to Gold Coast. At this stage, Cerra has shown more at his age than what Weller did.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think Cerra would easily demand a top 10 pick. Lachie Weller went for pick 3 to Gold Coast. At this stage, Cerra has shown more at his age than what Weller did.
Weller was an extreme case where players were walking out of the Suns and finally they got an ok player to nominate them. They had to pay overs to land him.

Desperate times caused desperate measures.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Not sure why Cripps being mentioned in a trade , Looking at some reports he is a restricted free agent and freo would have ample room in their cap to blow carlton away with their offer and wouldnt match the offer.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Not sure why Cripps being mentioned in a trade , Looking at some reports he is a restricted free agent and freo would have ample room in their cap to blow carlton away with their offer and wouldnt match the offer.

You don't think the Blues would do everything to move things around to force a trade? I would be shocked if they let Cripps walk for 1 top 10 pick.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA

Apples and Oranges:

1. Weller was contracted

2. GC were willing to pay significant overs for the good press in attracting and luring a highly rated home grown talent back to QLD (and they were tired of burning picks on kids that would eventually leave).

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
Cerra would be a nice Cotchin replacement....just saying ;)

Cerra is a massive Richmond supporter.

Cerra’s family are Richmond members.

Richmond have 3 first round picks (this includes their future 1st) this year.

Cerra follows Richmond on Instagram.

Yes I’m fu.cking nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back