Opinion Is Buddy's nine year contract finally coming back to haunt the Swans?

Is Buddy's nine year contract finally haunting the Swans?

• Total voters
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I don't know. According to all the experts, premierships or finals appearances isn't what matters when it comes to the Buddy and the Swans deal, but how many people he can bring into the SCG..
It is not, but it is a major factor out of several factors so I’m assuming your lengual location was firmly buccal.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People are saying “flag is a pass mark, so they’ve failed” like one person can win a team a flag. It’s not basketball. He’s played bloody well in his time there, 2 GFs, multiple Coleman’s. The reason they didn’t win a flag is not cause of Buddy. Contract gets a pass from me.
I am not going to argue too hard whether it was a pass or fail but the fact that 'one person can not win a team a flag' is true is also why you can argue it was not worth it for Sydney.

They won the flag in 2012 and finished top 4 in 2013. They were in a flag window at that point and went on to make a GF in 14 and 16. It is fair to make the point that they may have had a better chance to win one if they could have spread that contract over multiple players.

Not saying right or wrong but a valid point of view.

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Deledio, Roughead, Griffin, Buddy, Jordan Lewis. All long-serving champions from the exceptional 2004 draft. All but Buddy have moved into retirement after wonderful careers.

Buddy has given exceptional service to Sydney and I am sure Sydney knew it was unlikely he would be as resilient and brilliant in the later years of his 9-year contract. That he has become an expensive accessory as he nears the end does not for a moment take away from his value in those first 5 or 6 years of his contract. He has helped the club stay prominent and successful and kept them in the public eye in the notoriously fickle Sydney market. Just as big Barry and Tony Lockett did before him.

No regrets, I am sure Sydney would do the same thing again in a heartbeat.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Even the view that ‘well he’s on big money that could have been spent on one or more players that could have potentially won them flags so it has to be deemed a failure’ is literally no different to any other signing or re-signing in the game’s history.

Ok so the Saints didn’t give anything up for Nick Riewoldt.

How many players could they have traded in or kept or whatever if they had have given him away? They didn’t win anything with him so should they have traded him in hindsight because having him was a failure?

Ablett Sr - we didn’t win anything after we got him across from Hawthorn. Does that make the money we spent on him and his retention for the next 12 years a failure?

I’m sorry to go into a ‘when I was young’ spiel but when I was young flags were a huge thing, the holy grail, but signings, careers, someone’s standing in the game wasn’t determined just in premiership terms.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Really Buddy's contract is perfect timing for the Swans as he is being paid the most in 2021 out of every year of his contract, getting around $1.4 million, and that is a perfect year for us as right now we are a developing list who may even be struggling to meet the 95% minimum cap requirements under normal circumstances. Paying Buddy a lot of money in 2021 is no big deal and him being on less in 2022 and then his contract ends after that means as our young players develop we are naturally going to have more space in the cap for when we do need that money.

Also side note, Papley I think said a few days ago that Buddy is still a possibility for round 1 so don't rule him out.

Even the view that ‘well he’s on big money that could have been spent on one or more players that could have potentially won them flags so it has to be deemed a failure’ is literally no different to any other signing or re-signing in the game’s history.

Ok so the Saints didn’t give anything up for Nick Riewoldt.

How many players could they have traded in or kept or whatever if they had have given him away? They didn’t win anything with him so should they have traded him in hindsight because having him was a failure?

Ablett Sr - we didn’t win anything after we got him across from Hawthorn. Does that make the money we spent on him and his retention for the next 12 years a failure?

I’m sorry to go into a ‘when I was young’ spiel but when I was young flags were a huge thing, the holy grail, but signings, careers, someone’s standing in the game wasn’t determined just in premiership terms.
How well the paid was Ablett compared to the rest of the Cats team? Pretty sure he was keen on Geelong for the more relaxed lifestyle, not money?

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really Buddy's contract is perfect timing for the Swans as he is being paid the most in 2021 out of every year of his contract, getting around $1.4 million, and that is a perfect year for us as right now we are a developing list who may even be struggling to meet the 95% minimum cap requirements under normal circumstances. Paying Buddy a lot of money in 2021 is no big deal and him being on less in 2022 and then his contract ends after that means as our young players develop we are naturally going to have more space in the cap for when we do need that money.

Also side note, Papley I think said a few days ago that Buddy is still a possibility for round 1 so don't rule him out.

That's a very positive take.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He hasn’t performed up to
Expectations for mine, but his contract hasn’t and probably won’t hurt Sydney. They have great youth coming through and the fact many of them aren’t elite yet - probably works in the Swans favor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Nope ----- bums on seats, club sponsorships and jumpers sold says different.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

You could have 2 years with buddy being on the books for 0 games. That won’t be good no matter how you spin it.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
You can spin it however you want. A player who is still owed millions of dollars and can’t get on the park is a bust. I would hate for many of you to be running my business.

Back