Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Will need to restructure some contracts and maybe trade a couple.

Ryan Kerrigan should be their first FA to go after. Won't need huge $ just a starting role.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Packers signed RB Dexter Williams, OLB Tipa Galeai, LB De'Jon Harris, G Zack Johnson, TE Isaac Nauta, DT Willington Previlon, DT Anthony Rush, CB Stanford Samuels, RB Mike Weber, and P Ryan Winslow to reserve/future contracts.
Williams, Green Bay's sixth-round pick in 2019, was only called up from the practice squad in Week 9 since both Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams were unavailable against the 49ers. With Jones potentially walking in free agency, however, there's a chance Williams opens the 2021 season as the team's No. 2 back. He turned 24 on January 4.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Jan 25, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To have the same team stay together two years in a row. For Rodgers to play at that level for an entire season. The defence did gel and improve as the season went on despite Pettine's coaching. What a waste! I can't believe it! I know and agree with the whole 'well you did make the NFC Champ game, appreciate that' blah blah but this team had what it took!

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Rob Demovsky said Packers backup QB Tim Boyle "would be more suited" than Jordan Love to start in 2021 if Aaron Rodgers is traded or retires this offseason.
In other words, the Packers would be in bad spot if Rodgers isn't in green and yellow next season. Demovsky said "nothing [Love] has shown, at least publicly, would suggest" he's ready to replace Rodgers a year after the Packers inexplicably drafted Love in the first round. Packers beat writers have written extensively since last summer that Love is an erratic passer who appears over his head in Green Bay's offense. "Love has struggled with accuracy -- in the drill where quarterbacks throw to a stationary target (usually a net) and to players running routes on air (without a defender)," Demovsky said. He suggested the team's best course might be to trade Love, like the Patriots did with Jimmy Garoppolo when Tom Brady was unhappy about New England drafting his successor. That Love isn't locked in as Green Bay's starter post-Rodgers is an indictment of the entire organization.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Jan 26, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Speaking Tuesday, Packers team president Mark Murphy said Aaron Rodgers would be back with the team in 2021.
“I’ll say this: There’s no way in heck that Aaron is not going to be on the Packers," Murphy said, unequivocally. "I mean, he is going to be the MVP of the league, might have had his best year ever. He’s our unquestioned leader and, you know, we’re not idiots.” While more or less saying he will be back, Rodgers has refused to come right out and say it. Murphy, for his part, doesn't have the power of a typical team owner, but he is correct that GM Brian Gutekunst and coach Matt LaFleur would be idiots to move on from Rodgers following his 2020. This controversy is dying just as quickly as it began.
SOURCE: Mark Maske on Twitter
Jan 26, 2021, 3:46 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Packers signed WR Reggie Begelton, C Jake Hanson, K JJ Molson, CB KeiVarae Russell, DE Delontae Scott and WR Juwann Winfree to reserve/future contracts.
A former CFL standout, Begelton generated some offseason hype but failed to make an early season impact before being stashed on the taxi squad. Going on 28, Begelton will be a long shot to crack the 2021 53-man roster.
Jan 26, 2021, 4:35 PM ET

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
ESPN's Rob Demovsky said Packers backup QB Tim Boyle "would be more suited" than Jordan Love to start in 2021 if Aaron Rodgers is traded or retires this offseason.
In other words, the Packers would be in bad spot if Rodgers isn't in green and yellow next season. Demovsky said "nothing [Love] has shown, at least publicly, would suggest" he's ready to replace Rodgers a year after the Packers inexplicably drafted Love in the first round. Packers beat writers have written extensively since last summer that Love is an erratic passer who appears over his head in Green Bay's offense. "Love has struggled with accuracy -- in the drill where quarterbacks throw to a stationary target (usually a net) and to players running routes on air (without a defender)," Demovsky said. He suggested the team's best course might be to trade Love, like the Patriots did with Jimmy Garoppolo when Tom Brady was unhappy about New England drafting his successor. That Love isn't locked in as Green Bay's starter post-Rodgers is an indictment of the entire organization.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Jan 26, 2021, 10:39 AM ET
Ahh yes. the Packers are going to use some of the cap space they need to make to bring back Boyle when they are playing first round money to Love as a backup.

Packers beat are always quick to write off players. When all the Love is struggling at camp articles came out, they seem to have forgotten how bad Rodgers first few preseaons were.

Its hard to write off someone who hasn't taken a live snap in the NFL. Yeah he might be a bust, or a slow learner and given the lack of reps backups get and Rodgers not missing a practice all season its hard for anyone to improve much. But the blowtorch will be on him in preseason.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Mike Pettine and Shawn Mennenga gone.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I would've been happy to keep Pettine. I personally think the defence showed enough this year but at the same time I'm not devastated that there will be change.

I'm stoked Mennenga is gone. Last I checked I think we were 29th in special teams. Awful.

Will be interesting next year. Coaching changes. Plenty of quality players out of contract. Salary cap pressure. Rodgers turning 38. This year very well could've been our last chance to make the big dance with Rodgers.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Packers hired Joe Barry as defensive coordinator.
University of Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard was reportedly offered the job first but turned it down. Barry, 50, was the team's next choice, previously working with coach Matt LaFleur in Los Angeles in 2017 as the assistant linebackers coach to the latter's tenure as QBs coach. This will be Barry's third turn as a defensive coordinator in the league, having held that job previously with the Lions (2007-08) and Washington (2015-16). Barry has never engineered a unit better than 28th in total defense in four seasons as an NFL coordinator.
Feb 6, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
we need to keep Linsley. the playoffs has shown teams with a solid OL need to keep them together.

We will cut Preston Smith or trade him [Gary will be starting next season and started to get lots of pressure late in the season] With Gary and Z Smith. But dont see us making enough money and hard to compete against family if he is going to take vet min so Pitt will have that.

A few others like Adams, Z, Amos and Rodgers might be asked to restructure this week too.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia believes Aaron Jones could get up to $15 million a year in free agency.
That would put Jones on par with Alvin Kamara and Ezekiel Elliott, and just $1 million less than Christian McCaffrey, the highest paid running back in NFL history. It would hardly be surprising to see a team break open the vault for Jones, who has 3,017 yards from scrimmage since the start of 2019 and whose 829 receiving yards over the past two seasons rank sixth among running backs. His 51 runs of 10-plus yards are tied for sixth over the past two seasons. Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said the team would like to bring back Jones for 2021 and beyond, but at 26 years old, this will probably be Jones' only chance to break the bank. Packers backfield mate Jamaal Williams is also a free agent. AJ Dillon, who flashed late in the 2020 season, waits in the wings.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 23, 2021, 10:23 AM ET

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sadly no chance we get to keep Cory now. i think it was one or the other as long as both were willing to take team friendly deals.

but it makes the possession on needs clear now. only unsigned players we need to keep are Lazard and Tonyan both should be relitivly cheap.

CB, C, OT, WR, DE, ILB,

CB has to be round 1 unless a OL stud drops in our lap. the rest will depend on scouting for what group gets targeted for what round.

Back