List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers have had some luck playing with the likes of Grigg and McIntosh types as chop out ruckmen, but when fit, it seems they prefer Nanks and Soldo in tandem.

Until TDK is fit again, I'd prefer we go in with Pitto and Levi

I can't see that type of structure changing, competition wide, even with reduced rotations

The very reason why McGovern should never have been an option for us. We wasted two very good 2nd round picks on him, when we had cover in that position and our priorities at the time where elsewhere.
Either way we needed KPF depth for injuries or drops in form. In hind sight, picking up McGovern was very handy. With Levi on the wrong side of 30, and Charlie out indefinitely, I'm glad we got McGovern regardless of how poor he was last year. I have a feeling he'll bounce back.

McGovern is a very skilled player and talented athlete. We just haven't used him that well and he just lacks some nouse. IMO we need to find what role he is good at and find what he can and can't do. He's been good as a more focal forward but it seems if you move him down the pecking order he disappears. IMO if we crack that code we will have a good player on our hands.

Alright, so reading through here, let me get this 22 down right:

FB: Plowman Jones
HB: Weitering Saad
C: Marchbank Gibbons Walsh Fisher Williamson
HF: Newnes
FF: JSOS McKay

R: De Koning Cripps Setterfield Williams Martin Docherty

Int: E.Curnow, Dow, Durdin, SPS

Really looking forward to seeing us unleash Marchbank and Docherty on the...

[checks notes]

... outer wing and ruckrover-rover-rover-rover positions.

If he is not, who backs up in the ruck? Harry seemingly can’t? Jones can’t come out of the backline? Pitto can’t do anything else but Ruck? Levi has made himself invaluable and Best 22.
Richmond won flags with Grigg as a second ruck.
Role isn't that important.

They have kind of proven it's better to be mobile than to have an immobile second ruck which I tend to agree with. Casboult can ruck well and takes some marks around the ground but he's not mobile, I'd rather be quick and balanced. Curnow, McKay and the rest pretty quick and sharp I think is what our ultimate forward setup is.

Jonesy would be my Ruck option in that case. Thou it is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Would have to move Mc G to the back line to cover for Jones, Cripps to the forward arc to cover Mc G, Gibbo to the centre to cover for Crippa, Fish to HF to cover Gibbo, Marchy off the LTI to cover Fish.
Simple, eh?

He was played there as an additional midfielder first, second, third and as a ruckman as last priority.
The ruck rules at the time allowed them to get away with it, they wouldn’t get away with it now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can't imagine anything more likely to result in another injury :p

Have to agree. Not just because I was one, but I think people underestimate the toll playing in the ruck has on the body. I can only imagine what it's like at AFL level, particularly for someone who isn't used to it and with McGovern's history... Don't think he is suited.

They have kind of proven it's better to be mobile than to have an immobile second ruck which I tend to agree with. Casboult can ruck well and takes some marks around the ground but he's not mobile, I'd rather be quick and balanced. Curnow, McKay and the rest pretty quick and sharp I think is what our ultimate forward setup is.

Hi Guys have not been around for a while but good to see every body up and about and just out of interest"what has changed with McGovern ' ?
Everybody here wanted him shot then traded now he is the next Dean Cox / Nat Fyfe mix .

Back to the post i quoted gbatman
Grigg was used out of desperation and with no viable 2nd ruck but once soldo was available Richmond have gone to 2 ruckman and sometimes 3 with Nank,Soldo,Chol all in the same team but the only way the 1 ruck + Grigg was able to work was due to Nank's ability to play 95% game time in the ruck which is a big call and soldo is not a mobile ruckman but we still play him due to his ability to hold his ground against the likes of NikNat,Grundy,Gawn & Goldy

looking foward to a good year from your boys and hopefully you make finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want 3 spine players in the next 12 months.

Swing KPP 22-25 year old, Brander, McStay type

A KPD, best draftee

Ruck/Forward, best draftee

Make it happen List Management
Let's wait to see how the season plays out first before locking in "needs". All are required "soon" but priority is still to be seen.
If Charlie and Kemp can finish the season strongly, not to mention Marchbank, it will make a huge difference.
Despite rumours to the contrary, the Jones boy is not yet 30 (will be at start of season). It is fair to think he has this season and two more as a minimum.
We do need a viable KPD back up. Levi is great value, but may be indispensable forward or rucking. McDonald training with us, seems a no brainer to add.

The forward mix is clearly a young developing player short. The pragmatist in me would love to add a forward/ruck in the mould of Coleman-Jones or
even better Williams from West Coast who is a genuine swingman/ruck. It is hard to see their respective clubs letting them go though. A glance at the available semi mature young ruck types suggests slim pickings, Hayes for instance has an extended contract at Port despite the likelihood of being third banana for the
foreseeable future. I was surprised we didn't draft a young ruck to develop and we seem destined to run the gauntlet with injuries this season.

We are certainly ready to draft a KPD, to replace Jones down the track. While McKay, McAsey and DeKoning are attractive young prospects, it is hard to see them coming over to bide their time as fringe types behind Weiters and LJ. Surely McDonald is the go until a decent draftee presents. I do like Brander and McStay, but they would not be guaranteed best 22 spots either.

We have an unique list balance. While back up is thin, if the injury gods are kind, there is a no vacancy sign on our talls for about three years. So saying that, I would add McDonald as a capable back up for the next few years and hitting the draft for youngsters as ruck, KPF and KPD as players become available. The problem arises if Levi starts to decline quickly and/or McGovern continues to underwhelm. It is fair to say that our midfield and the flanks are exceptionally well catered for on the list with a myriad of young players at various stages of development. Martin, Williams and Saad have given us brilliant experienced talent to offset the inexperience of the kids. Edit, probably should add Newnes to that list.

Not wanting to push anyone out the door, but our proliferation of developing midfielders may offer a trade option with Geelong for SDK if he can't get past Blicavs, Henderson and co. for a spot at Geelong this season. He is capable at either end, leaning to KPD and can pinch hit in the ruck. He would be my pick of trade targets, mobile like his brother and more versatile, giving him more prospects of getting a game early. Would love Ben McKay who is out of contract at season's end, but hard to see him competing for a team spot, while a walk up start for 22 games at North if remains fit.

I see Melbourne have invited Majak Daw to train with them I wish we had have first . 🤬🤬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back