FB - SPS, Jones, Marchbank
HB - Docherty, Weiters, Saad
C - Williams, Cripps, Walsh
HF - Fisher, Charlie, Martin
FF - Betts, McKay, Casboult
F - TDK, Setterfield, Ed Curnow

I - Newnes, Newman, JSOS, Murphy
Em - Pittonet, Willo, Stocker, Kemp
As already pointed out, you accidentally missed Plowman. So who's spot would he take? I know many may disagree, but Newman IMO is a lock in our back 7 when fully fit. So for me it's either Marchy or Newnes to come for Plow. If the latter, that gives SPS prime position on wing, allowing guys like Williams and Walsh much more time on ball. (Willo for Newnes is another possible change with a similar outcome)

My other concern is, with a forward line consisting of Charlie, McKay, Casboult and JSOS, are we too tall? I would love for Gibbons or Fogarty to be somewhere in there.

Other than that, all looks great!

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I'd be very hesitant to move Walsh off a wing, he was elite on the wing last season, he has some extremely rare traits that make him an elite wingman that no one on our list comes close to. He's tough, can find the footy in that position, quick has footy smarts and covers a hell of a lot of ground. That's pretty rare IMO to have all that for a wingman. I thought he was brilliant dropping back in defence but could still run hard the other way and attack and find a lot of the footy offensively.

He's good playing out of the center but IMO with Cripps, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy, Dow, Williams, Kennedy and Stocker as center options is plenty and they should be good. I just feel if we take Walsh from the wing we wouldn't be gaining a hell of a lot but we would be losing a fair bit and we can't replace Walsh on a wing IMO.

Would love to see Martin on the other wing. He's got most of those attributes, I reckon he would be great although I love his inside game as well.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd be very hesitant to move Walsh off a wing, he was elite on the wing last season, he has some extremely rare traits that make him an elite wingman that no one on our list comes close to. He's tough, can find the footy in that position, quick has footy smarts and covers a hell of a lot of ground. That's pretty rare IMO to have all that for a wingman. I thought he was brilliant dropping back in defence but could still run hard the other way and attack and find a lot of the footy offensively.

He's good playing out of the center but IMO with Cripps, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy, Dow, Williams, Kennedy and Stocker as center options is plenty and they should be good. I just feel if we take Walsh from the wing we wouldn't be gaining a hell of a lot but we would be losing a fair bit and we can't replace Walsh on a wing IMO.

Would love to see Martin on the other wing. He's got most of those attributes, I reckon he would be great although I love his inside game as well.
Reports from the praccy yesterday suggested he played inside, and if he is to evolve into the player we all know he is capable of being this is the role he needs to play. I would much rather Walsh play inside and Williams play on the wing.

For the first time in a long long time our midfield is starting to get some depth.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Reports from the praccy yesterday suggested he played inside, and if he is to evolve into the player we all know he is capable of being this is the role he needs to play. I would much rather Walsh play inside and Williams play on the wing.

For the first time in a long long time our midfield is starting to get some depth.

That would work fine, Our center group is alright with or without Walsh but remove Walsh from the wing and all of a sudden there is a hole there. If Williams has the tank to play that role well then good but IMO no one on our list has the tank and the football skills to do what Walsh did last year in regards to his ability to get back and help out the defence and push hard up the ground to be an offensive threat as well.

I can see us having a real crack and a mature elite centerman next season, perhaps it's Oliver or Merrett and that definitely puts Walsh on a wing.

I'm really hoping Cripps has a good season, Setterfield goes up a level, Curnow still does his thing and Williams is a great success and Dow and Stocker come through as good young midfielders. That being the case you don't play the elite wingman in the center.

Very exciting times from here on for us.

Last edited:
May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Just tried to do a best 22 and boy was it hard to fit everyone in.. This can only be a good thing, we have depth in most positions and some quality players who will be playing VFL..

Here goes..

FB - SPS, Jones, Marchbank
HB - Docherty, Weiters, Saad
C - Williams, Cripps, Walsh
HF - Fisher, Charlie, Martin
FF - Betts, McKay, Casboult
F - TDk, Setterfield, Ed Curnow

I - Newnes, Newman, JSOS, Murphy
Em - Pittonet, Willo, Stocker, Kemp

My hope would be that by Queens birthday, someone has stepped up and forced Betts and Murphy out of the side, just not sure who will take there opportunities.

The starting midfield of Cripps, Setterfield and Ed is too one paced. I have faith the coaching group are also aware.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The starting midfield of Cripps, Setterfield and Ed is too one paced. I have faith the coaching group are also aware.
I’d think that those 3 with Walsh & Williams will be the main centre bounce attendees for the year though. Martin will spend a bit of time inside too, we might see SPS have the occasional burst there, perhaps Kennedy, Dow, Stocker or Fogarty if they’re playing.

Then Newnes, Murph, maybe Willo on a wing, Gibbo might get up the ground from small/half forward and play an outside role at times.

There’s plenty of variety of pace/running ability between them all. It’ll be fine.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Likely round 1. Eddie out with a calf for now. Willo outside of selection along with Stocker but hopefully knocking the door down. McGovern’s selection over JSOS will be interesting, more so on what is delivered out on the park.
Newman the borderline player on fitness & selection. Could he fill in on the left peg wing vs Willo or LOB (currently occupied by Newnes)?

0784E723-E8B7-47CD-8109-FFFEFA44E5BC.jpeg

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Likely round 1. Eddie out with a calf for now. Willo outside of selection along with Stocker but hopefully knocking the door down. McGovern’s selection over JSOS will be interesting, more so on what is delivered out on the park.
Newman the borderline player on fitness & selection. Could he fill in on the left peg wing vs Willo or LOB (currently occupied by Newnes)?

View attachment 1057716
Eddie does not have a calf injury.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades

View attachment 1057716
Betts already overcame his calf injury from early Jan. He didn't participate in the match sim because of a modified program, but that doesn't always mean he was injured. In fact he was actually training with the main group earlier on in the session. I personally would have him in instead of Fog.

Willo another one who is quite stiff to miss. It's a 50/50 in my opinion between him or Newnes on the wing.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Betts already overcame his calf injury from early Jan. He didn't participate in the match sim because of a modified program, but that doesn't always mean he was injured. In fact he was actually training with the main group earlier on in the session. I personally would have him in instead of Fog.

Willo another one who is quite stiff to miss. It's a 50/50 in my opinion between him or Newnes on the wing.

I foresee Betts being out, déjà vu from 2020. If he’s right, Betts in, SPS back pocket & Newman pipped.
Newnes will likely get the gig by the MC vs others.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I foresee Betts being out, déjà vu from 2020. If he’s right, Betts in, SPS back pocket & Newman pipped.
Newnes will likely get the gig by the MC vs others.
You would need Newman as the 7th defender coming off the bench for a rotation. Even if we had to play with just 6, I prefer Newman off the HBF to SPS. Just my opinion.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Hey guys how is Corey Durdin going in regards to best 22?

small forwards like Z.Fisher, Gibbons and Betts probably in the best 22 with J.Martin and 3 talls (Casboult, H.Mckay, M.Mcgovern)

Then i suppose you also have guys like J.Silvagni, Cunningham and the new recruit L.Fogarty that are all probably ahead of him and close to guys like the 3 smalls in the best 7 fwds.

Is he any chance for early games with a more mature body and IIRC experience against men in the Sanfl?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hey guys how is Corey Durding going in regards to best 22?

small forwards like Z.Fisher, Gibbons and Betts probably in the best 22 with J.Martin and 3 talls (Casboult, H.Mckay, M.Mcgovern)

Then i suppose you also have guys like J.Silvagni, Cunningham and the new recruit L.Fogarty that are all probably ahead of him and close to guys like the 3 smalls in the best 7 fwds.

Is he any chance for early games with a more mature body and IIRC experience against men in the Sanfl?
I don't think he'll be in the rd 1 team, but I think he'd be getting around 5 (maybe more) games throughout the season.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d think that those 3 with Walsh & Williams will be the main centre bounce attendees for the year though. Martin will spend a bit of time inside too, we might see SPS have the occasional burst there, perhaps Kennedy, Dow, Stocker or Fogarty if they’re playing.

Then Newnes, Murph, maybe Willo on a wing, Gibbo might get up the ground from small/half forward and play an outside role at times.

There’s plenty of variety of pace/running ability between them all. It’ll be fine.

Don't forget Jack Martin.

Back