2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd MOD NOTE: please read the title of the thread. It says, “Non-Crows AFL”

As difficult to understand as this is, it means discussion about AFL stuff that doesn’t involve the Crows.

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, there’s a whole wide world of BigFooty. Feel free to explore it if you’d like to broaden your horizons. There‘s a Chess board and a Society/Religion/Politics board and boards about other clubs, it’s cray-cray!

Having been given the privilege of having a week off, it actually was good for me. Less time on is actually good for ones health and mental well being.

Oh and I did some interesting work which you may see on the idiot box in a few months.

2nd MOD NOTE: please read the title of the thread. It says, “Non-Crows AFL”

As difficult to understand as this is, it means discussion about AFL stuff that doesn’t involve the Crows.

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, there’s a whole wide world of BigFooty. Feel free to explore it if you’d like to broaden your horizons. There‘s a Chess board and a Society/Religion/Politics board and boards about other clubs, it’s cray-cray!

I can post in bold red too!

edit: turn it back red. This is an outrage.

Last edited:

Having been given the privilege of having a week off, it actually was good for me. Less time on is actually good for ones health and mental well being.

Oh and I did some interesting work which you may see on the idiot box in a few months.
The political rubbish in the COVID thread turned me off BF for a while. Not a bad thing though.

But seriously, arguing over modern politics is like arguing over your which white Camry is better.

Both sides are now essentially the same in Australia. Governments change, yet the broader policies and machinery of Government does not.

Every State/Government has made mistakes with COVID. And no one has tightened up the risks around MediHotels.

Every single breach involves low paid labour ie cleaners, food staff and security.

Nurses and Police who have direct contact with the infected are yet to contract COVID at a MediHotel.

Pretty obvious where the issue lays. Cheap labour in non direct support roles. An issue that has been exposed in all jurisdictions. Regardless of which white Camry their allotted political party endorses.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The political rubbish in the COVID thread turned me off BF for a while. Not a bad thing though.

But seriously, arguing over modern politics is like arguing over your which white Camry is better.

Both sides are now essentially the same in Australia. Governments change, yet the broader policies and machinery of Government does not.

Every State/Government has made mistakes with COVID. And no one has tightened up the risks around MediHotels.

Every single breach involves low paid labour ie cleaners, food staff and security.

Nurses and Police who have direct contact with the infected are yet to contract COVID at a MediHotel.

Pretty obvious where the issue lays. Cheap labour in non direct support roles. An issue that has been exposed in all jurisdictions. Regardless of which white Camry their allotted political party endorses.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So you're bringing it to the non-crows AFL thread instead?

Thank you, drive through.

Apparently they switched to best 22 in one side for the second half and they ran away with it. Which might be a bad sign about the Powers depth, but a best 22 AFL side probably smashes a SANFL side most days.
I don't really know how these things work, but wouldn't you make the teams as even as possible?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to see how good your squad is you'd make the sides as even as possible.

If you want to pump up the confidence of your best 22 you'd give them a run against the kids.

Can someone more versed in financial reports tell me:
1) How Port are $4M more in debt despite only taking a $300K operating loss
2) How Carlton have $5.7M more in cash despite only have a net income of $3.7M? (Maybe their $6M in depreciation, up from $2M last year is the answer?)

Edit: Ignoring the ethics that Carltons 'income from Other Activities' increased dramatically, probably JobKeeper - the Bulldogs noted this in their financial report. So while claiming from the Government they stashed $6M.

I haven’t read anyone saying he has to stay at Norwood only that they deserve some compensation for being f***** around at the mercy of an AFL team that don’t have the depth they thought they did.

I'm sure they entered the contract with the player out clause with their eyes wide open. Why be compensated for an understood and accepted risk?

I'm assuming this is after taking in to account all the hand outs they got.

I'd love to know what their real financial position is without the handouts, i.e. their real operating position

AFL funding to clubs is fully disclosed. Pretty sure via the AFL and within the club's financials. I'm sure I've seen it as a line in our's.

Can someone more versed in financial reports tell me:
1) How Port are $4M more in debt despite only taking a $300K operating loss
2) How Carlton have $5.7M more in cash despite only have a net income of $3.7M? (Maybe their $6M in depreciation, up from $2M last year is the answer?)

Edit: Ignoring the ethics that Carltons 'income from Other Activities' increased dramatically, probably JobKeeper - the Bulldogs noted this in their financial report. So while claiming from the Government they stashed $6M.

Because you actually look at the statutory loss when assessing the financial accounts, the operating loss doesn’t include one offs (restructuring costs, depreciation etc however they still have material impact on the balance sheet. Whilst depreciation is a non-cash expense it does reduce the value of an asset.

It is smoke and mirrors so you announce a better result than it actually is. Would like to see the 2020 Financial accounts to make more of it but currently you have to ring the club. This is the website all reports for all AFL clubs are held. 2019 results are there and 2020 results to be updated. You will see we make a profit even after the depreciation expense whilst our little brother only makes a profit before the depreciation expense. Most of their supporters would have no idea and would just listen to the headline. You still have to replace an ageing depreciating asset. Oh and they have used the good ole revaluation of memorabilia and land/buildings to bolster their position as well plus let’s not forget the $4m government grant they received.

This club is in a fair bit of trouble with a current debt of $12m, a supporter base that is very fickle and are at probably the highest point of them to possibly win a flag. What happens when the bad years start to come like they had in 2010-2012 and they hit rock bottom. Who are they going to blame then?

And then we have China?

Last edited:
Because you actually look at the statutory loss when assessing the financial accounts, the operating loss doesn’t include one offs (restructuring costs, depreciation etc however they still have material impact on the balance sheet. Whilst depreciation is a non-cash expense it does reduce the value of an asset.

It is smoke and mirrors so you announce a better result than it actually is. Would like to see the 2020 Financial accounts to make more of it but currently you have to ring the club. This is the website all reports for all AFL clubs are held. 2019 results are there and 2020 results to be updated. You will see we make a profit even after the depreciation expense whilst our little brother only makes a profit before the depreciation expense. Most of their supporters would have no idea and would just listen to the headline. You still have to replace an ageing depreciating asset. Oh and they have used the good ole revaluation of memorabilia and land/buildings to bolster their position as well plus let’s not forget the $4m government grant they received.

This club is in a fair bit of trouble with a current debt of $12m, a supporter base that is very fickle and are at probably the highest point of them to possibly win a flag. What happens when the bad years start to come like they had in 2010-2012 and they hit rock bottom. Who are they going to blame then?

And then we have China?

proper, high end bankers. Private equity funding, take over, bankers never look at statutory profit

they only ever look at cash flow.

KKR, APAX, and all the private equity houses that own the world, only look at cash flow.

depreciation etc is a function of management policy. Tax & interest is a function of balance sheet structure. Which is management policy

If you want to see how good your squad is you'd make the sides as even as possible.

If you want to pump up the confidence of your best 22 you'd give them a run against the kids.
Too bad for the kids confidence, however....

Richmond made a fresh bid over summer to have its $100,000 COVID fine removed from this year’s soft cap.

The Tigers made an informal approach to the AFL in December to ask if the six-figure sanction could be paid in another way to ease the pressure on a slashed football department budget.

But they were told no.

The request came three months after furious Richmond chiefs unsuccessfully tried to force Callum Coleman-Jones and Sydney Stack to pay $75,000 of the fine for their part in a drunken late-night kebab fight.

Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Carlton, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Essendon and Melbourne were hit with a variety of sanctions for different COVID protocol breaches throughout the 2020 season.

I forgot people listen to SEN in Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back