Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

The phenomenon of promoting the “canceling” of people, brands, TV shows and movies due to what some consider to be offensive or problematic remarks or ideologies — isn’t all that new. There is nothing new in "Cancel Culture". Cancel Culture is "bad religion run amuck"- Nick Cave. He is quite correct of course. Over the last few years, the social-media trend has gained momentum under the trendy new name — placing celebrities, companies and media alike under a microscope of political correctness. It's insane. Just recently I have been cancelled by a life long friend because I said Joe Biden is "crazy". I can't change my mind, because he really is! Do we all go and cancel all Collingwood supporters? “Cancel Culture” is growing into the erasing of history, encouraging lawlessness, muting citizens, and violating free exchange of ideas, thoughts, and speech.” . Ban Blazing Saddles? Bollocks to it all!
Old, new, an old thing made new again - it doesn't matter in the slightest.

The question is whether the mobs shouting "BURN THE WITCH!" on the internet (and getting their way) are getting out of hand, and having their collective s**t-fits all too often over extremely non-important things.

And the answer to that question is pretty clear yes.

The phenomenon of promoting the “canceling” of people, brands, TV shows and movies due to what some consider to be offensive or problematic remarks or ideologies — isn’t all that new. There is nothing new in "Cancel Culture". Cancel Culture is "bad religion run amuck"- Nick Cave. He is quite correct of course. Over the last few years, the social-media trend has gained momentum under the trendy new name — placing celebrities, companies and media alike under a microscope of political correctness. It's insane. Just recently I have been cancelled by a life long friend because I said Joe Biden is "crazy". I can't change my mind, because he really is! Do we all go and cancel all Collingwood supporters? “Cancel Culture” is growing into the erasing of history, encouraging lawlessness, muting citizens, and violating free exchange of ideas, thoughts, and speech.” . Ban Blazing Saddles? Bollocks to it all!
He hasnt cancelled you because you think biden is crazy

Hes cancelled you because you think that a man who has a good chunk of responsibility for half a million of his own peoples deaths is in any way preferable to biden (who by the way most of us feel isnt an ideal candidate)

The fact that someone who threw kids in cages deliberately separating them from parents - someone who compiled a list of muslim countries to ban arrivals from, whilst ignoring countries he had real estate links with.... the fact that he could incite insurrection - the constant obvious lying ...

the fact that you werent angry at those things - instead you were commenting that another man was insane ...

This just means your differences are to far apart for him to justify a friendship.

A friendship is based on mutual interests and ideals.

So... what does “cancel” mean?

So... what does “cancel” mean?
Broadly speaking, I'd say it is the impulse to not simply criticise/counter but to remove/erase content deemed disagreeable - and in some cases silence/remove the person producing that content.

Don't get me wrong. There are perfectly decent reasons to remove/erase some content. I'm not saying it should just be wall-to-wall pr0n and snuff films. Nor should you be allowed to incite violence. I'm not saying it should be a free-for-all, and any restriction on that is cancel culture. There are still public safety standards to be observed.

However, I think people complain about cancel culture when you have none of these observable concerns but still have that impulse to remove/erase, simply because the content is disagreeable - because it conflicts with some orthodoxy. Take a look at the recent stir around NYT journalist Donald McNeil.

Some of these new orthodoxies expressed online relate to racial justice, gender equality and inclusion, questions around consent etc. So in that context, it's often the left promoting these new orthodoxies and therefore doing the cancelling, pushing back on "transgressive" views in some of those areas.

Of course, that doesn't mean the right doesn't do its own cancelling. The religious right had a hard-on for cancel culture for years. More recently, ask the Dixie Chicks or Colin Kaepernick about cancel culture. So it's not like the left invented it - it's simply that cancel culture is currently expressing itself online, particularly on social media, where it manifests in support of these new orthodoxies currently favoured by the left.

Last edited:
He hasnt cancelled you because you think biden is crazy

Hes cancelled you because you think that a man who has a good chunk of responsibility for half a million of his own peoples deaths is in any way preferable to biden (who by the way most of us feel isnt an ideal candidate)

The fact that someone who threw kids in cages deliberately separating them from parents - someone who compiled a list of muslim countries to ban arrivals from, whilst ignoring countries he had real estate links with.... the fact that he could incite insurrection - the constant obvious lying ...

the fact that you werent angry at those things - instead you were commenting that another man was insane ...

This just means your differences are to far apart for him to justify a friendship.

A friendship is based on mutual interests and ideals.
Any relationship should be based on mutuality, not difference and I'm afraid my old friend has Trump derangement syndrome, I know Trump is flawed, some people just like to hate. How do you know what I am angry about? I'm still angry about the Grand Final, not much else makes me angry, be careful using the word "fact"! Biden is a nutjob, it depends on who is the bigger nutjob between him and Trump? Good luck with the Dem policies as the caravans get closer...

Any relationship should be based on mutuality, not difference and I'm afraid my old friend has Trump derangement syndrome, I know Trump is flawed, some people just like to hate. How do you know what I am angry about? I'm still angry about the Grand Final, not much else makes me angry, be careful using the word "fact"! Biden is a nutjob, it depends on who is the bigger nutjob between him and Trump? Good luck with the Dem policies as the caravans get closer...
I see why hes dropped you

I'm surprised he still hung around after the 'Michelle Obama is a transvestite' incident.

Cancel culture was invented by evangelicals....

S o u r c e: https://religionnews.com/2020/06/17/evangelicals-perfected-cancel-culture-now-its-coming-for-them/

<<<<Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, church youth groups coordinated book burnings and music bonfires to purge their world of evil art. On any given night of the week, televangelists and Christian activists could be found on cable news attacking their enemies by name and blaming them for the “moral decay” of America.

Evangelicals tried their level best to smear and shame any person or organization who didn’t behave or believe appropriately in order to forcibly craft a society according to their Christian values.

When the target of their wrath wasn’t vulnerable to their smears, they used the foremost tool of cancel culture: the boycott. In 1997, the 16 million-member Southern Baptist Convention boycotted the Walt Disney company, which they perceived to be too gay-friendly.

Two years later, Jerry Falwell Sr., founder of the Moral Majority, famously led an effort to boycott “The Teletubbies,” a children’s television program, because he got an inkling that its Tinky-Winky character was covertly gay.

In 2012, the evangelical group “One Million Moms,” part of the American Family Association, led a boycott of JCPenney after comedian Ellen DeGeneres, an out lesbian, was named the department store chain’s spokesperson.

White evangelicals’ “cancel culture” did not just target those outside the camp. If a member of the community dared to deviate from what the majority called “orthodoxy,” that person too risked being run out of town.

Beginning in the 1970s, a group of Southern Baptists, led by now disgraced preacher and seminary president Paige Patterson and other conservative leaders, sought to purge their denomination of any hint of “liberal theology.” Seminary professors, church employees and pastors lost their jobs or were shamed out of the convention during this denominational civil war.

Known as the “Conservative Resurgence” or “the fundamentalist takeover,” depending on your point of view, the coup Patterson led was a massive exercise of cancel culture. Only true believers allowed. Anyone who crossed the masses was expelled quickly and forcefully.

Rob Bell. Photo courtesy of Rob Bell
Beyond the SBC, one of the best-known examples of evangelical cancel culture involved the public shaming of author Rob Bell, a former megachurch pastor who dared to question whether non-Christians went to hell after they died.

Strictly, Bell was not “canceled,” but “farewelled” — the patent online move was simply to bid “Farewell, Rob Bell,” next to a link to his apostasy. Suddenly, anyone who was friends with Bell, owned books by Bell or even dared to quote Bell’s earlier work was at risk of being canceled as well.

Since then, other Christian writers, including Jen Hatmaker and Rachel Held Evans, found their books no longer welcome in Christian bookstores due to their support for same-sex marriage.

Now the tables have turned.

Something shifted in 2016 after the election of Donald Trump. The rapidly proliferating groups evangelicals had been marginalizing and attacking — women, people of color, feminists, immigrants, LGBTQ people — recognized that they had their own pulpits on social media. They began to sermonize back.

This “Great Awokening” has flipped the script on cancel culture, and white evangelicals are calling for a rewrite.

Which is how Alabama pastor Chris Hodges found himself shut out of his high school auditorium rentals, and why conservative Christians and their political allies quickly set up a howl of fury.

The Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins, a longtime friend of Hodges’, claimed that “cancel culture” was tantamount to “mob tactics” and leftist “intolerance.” Former Attorney General and Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions called it “an attack on both religious liberty and freedom of speech,” while Donald Trump Jr. tweeted that “canceling” an evangelical leader like Hodges was “absolutely insane.”>>><

At the end of last year I was talking to a year 12 who was going on to study Engineering at university. A bit later in the conversation it became apparent that he did not know his time tables. I know that is only a small part of intelligence but it seems that technology has replaced the need to think for oneself.

How did this come up exactly?

How did this come up exactly?

I was doing a year 12 exit interview with the student, which is why I asked him what he was wanting to do. A bit later in the interview I asked him a question. I can't recall, exactly what it was, something to do with expenses when he left school, where he had to mentally multiply. He came up with answer after a while but he had to stop and think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just recently I have been cancelled by a life long friend because I said Joe Biden is "crazy".
What does "cancelled" mean here? They don't talk to you any more?

Cancel culture was invented by evangelicals....

S o u r c e: https://religionnews.com/2020/06/17/evangelicals-perfected-cancel-culture-now-its-coming-for-them/

<<<<Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, church youth groups coordinated book burnings and music bonfires to purge their world of evil art. On any given night of the week, televangelists and Christian activists could be found on cable news attacking their enemies by name and blaming them for the “moral decay” of America.

Evangelicals tried their level best to smear and shame any person or organization who didn’t behave or believe appropriately in order to forcibly craft a society according to their Christian values.

When the target of their wrath wasn’t vulnerable to their smears, they used the foremost tool of cancel culture: the boycott. In 1997, the 16 million-member Southern Baptist Convention boycotted the Walt Disney company, which they perceived to be too gay-friendly.

Two years later, Jerry Falwell Sr., founder of the Moral Majority, famously led an effort to boycott “The Teletubbies,” a children’s television program, because he got an inkling that its Tinky-Winky character was covertly gay.

In 2012, the evangelical group “One Million Moms,” part of the American Family Association, led a boycott of JCPenney after comedian Ellen DeGeneres, an out lesbian, was named the department store chain’s spokesperson.

White evangelicals’ “cancel culture” did not just target those outside the camp. If a member of the community dared to deviate from what the majority called “orthodoxy,” that person too risked being run out of town.

Beginning in the 1970s, a group of Southern Baptists, led by now disgraced preacher and seminary president Paige Patterson and other conservative leaders, sought to purge their denomination of any hint of “liberal theology.” Seminary professors, church employees and pastors lost their jobs or were shamed out of the convention during this denominational civil war.

Known as the “Conservative Resurgence” or “the fundamentalist takeover,” depending on your point of view, the coup Patterson led was a massive exercise of cancel culture. Only true believers allowed. Anyone who crossed the masses was expelled quickly and forcefully.

Rob Bell. Photo courtesy of Rob Bell
Beyond the SBC, one of the best-known examples of evangelical cancel culture involved the public shaming of author Rob Bell, a former megachurch pastor who dared to question whether non-Christians went to hell after they died.

Strictly, Bell was not “canceled,” but “farewelled” — the patent online move was simply to bid “Farewell, Rob Bell,” next to a link to his apostasy. Suddenly, anyone who was friends with Bell, owned books by Bell or even dared to quote Bell’s earlier work was at risk of being canceled as well.

Since then, other Christian writers, including Jen Hatmaker and Rachel Held Evans, found their books no longer welcome in Christian bookstores due to their support for same-sex marriage.

Now the tables have turned.

Something shifted in 2016 after the election of Donald Trump. The rapidly proliferating groups evangelicals had been marginalizing and attacking — women, people of color, feminists, immigrants, LGBTQ people — recognized that they had their own pulpits on social media. They began to sermonize back.

This “Great Awokening” has flipped the script on cancel culture, and white evangelicals are calling for a rewrite.

Which is how Alabama pastor Chris Hodges found himself shut out of his high school auditorium rentals, and why conservative Christians and their political allies quickly set up a howl of fury.

The Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins, a longtime friend of Hodges’, claimed that “cancel culture” was tantamount to “mob tactics” and leftist “intolerance.” Former Attorney General and Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions called it “an attack on both religious liberty and freedom of speech,” while Donald Trump Jr. tweeted that “canceling” an evangelical leader like Hodges was “absolutely insane.”>>><

Christians love cancel culture, god sent plagues and floods to cancel civilizations, witch hunts were cancelling women, crusades were cancelling Muslims

The right only complain about cancel culture because they no longer have sole control of the pitch fork

I was doing a year 12 exit interview with the student, which is why I asked him what he was wanting to do. A bit later in the interview I asked him a question. I can't recall, exactly what it was, something to do with expenses when he left school, where he had to mentally multiply. He came up with answer after a while but he had to stop and think about it.

Righto, well you don't need maths for engineering...

At the end of last year I was talking to a year 12 who was going on to study Engineering at university. A bit later in the conversation it became apparent that he did not know his time tables. I know that is only a small part of intelligence but it seems that technology has replaced the need to think for oneself.

It's an education problem, Australia ranks near bottom of the pile when it comes to educational outcomes in developed countries

United States are miles ahead of us, think about how dumb the average American is, our kids are much dumber than that

It does help. In my second year they took our (old style) calculators away from us, was only simple maths we needed it for but still, knowing your tables made things a lot quicker.

It's one of those things, most engineers happen to be the kind of people who are good at maths, which means they probably do have them memorised. But I can see how in this day and age it's not really a requirement, even if it seems odd.

I think a lot of education now is about how to access and apply information, instead of having it memorised like in ye olden times of life before smart phones (about 2008).

It's one of those things, most engineers happen to be the kind of people who are good at maths, which means they probably do have them memorised. But I can see how in this day and age it's not really a requirement, even if it seems odd.

I think a lot of education now is about how to access and apply information, instead of having it memorised like in ye olden times of life before smart phones (about 2008).

I assume they still learn all the maths manually in the course, but it's more of a mental gymnastics type thing, they don't usually use them much in the field. Your point is fair though, engineering maths is not really arithmetic in the traditional sense, it's more building a mathematical model (with a shitload of approximations ha ha)

I assume they still learn all the maths manually in the course, but it's more of a mental gymnastics type thing, they don't usually use them much in the field. Your point is fair though, engineering maths is not really arithmetic in the traditional sense, it's more building a mathematical model (with a shitload of approximations ha ha)

"We need to build a bridge that won't fall down!"

* creates model *

"The model says this should be fine"

"Add more concrete just to be safe"

"We need to build a bridge that won't fall down!"

* creates model *

"The model says this should be fine"

"Add more concrete just to be safe"

Or in my case "ok this is the electrical load which has a 20% design margin" "ok let's add 20% capacity to make sure and some extra redundancy and some extra capacity for good luck" and then the oversized system runs at 20% capacity forever ha ha

It does help. In my second year they took our (old style) calculators away from us, was only simple maths we needed it for but still, knowing your tables made things a lot quicker.
*Me musing away out loud to a muted siri : “now what is 7.45x48.834”

* glances at watch “think that would be ahhh carry the 4 and yesssssss about 363.8133........ sound right to you chaps”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back