Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangrove

The first of 5 in the Small Axe film series, created by Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave).

I enjoyed it, although it made the blood boil as you'd expect.

Set in Notting Hill in the 70s, the true story of the West Indian community being harassed by police, building up to a trial where "The Mangrove 9" defend themselves in court against charges of inciting a riot.

Well written, filmed and acted. Am looking forward to the next 4 films, which each apparently tell a different (true) story.

Hustlers... interesting story and both the wife and I very much appreciated J-Lo’s ass, which was the star of the movie. 6.5/10
That needed more ****. Was bs

Face/off. ******* loved it score gets bumped up to an 8. And it is ranked higher than Con Air. Banging song while the credits rolls by Michael H and Andrew Farris of INXS x

Two flicks over the weekend:

The Outpost - actually a very good movie about a ridiculously placed outpost in Afghanistan for US Troops. Was worried it was going to go down a USA rah rah route but was quite engaging. Similarities in how it was portrayed to Black Hawk Down. Clint Eastwood's son was great in it - at times it felt just like Clint was there in mannerisms and voice. 7.5/10

Dark Waters - Film about the lawyer that took on Du Pont over the contamination from the manufacture of Teflon. Wasn't familiar with the story and boy howdy corporate America got a real kick in the balls from this (justifiably). Good performances from the leads and one of those stories that leave you slightly enraged that it was allowed to happen. 8/10

Mangrove

The first of 5 in the Small Axe film series, created by Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave).

Set in Notting Hill in the 70s, the true story of the West Indian community being harassed by police, building up to a trial where "The Mangrove 9" defend themselves in court against charges of inciting a riot.

Well written, filmed and acted. Am looking forward to the next 4 films, which each apparently tell a different (true) story.
Looking forward to diving into these very seem.

Willy’s Wonderland
Nic Cage doing what he does best playing the Psycho this time he’s the janitor at a kids restaurant when inanimate children puppets go haywire great watch so far it’s my movie of the year can’t wait to see what Blumhouse does with 5 nights at Freddy’s later in the year

5 stars
Heard it was supposed to be called Wally’s wonderland but it was changed because of National lampoons vacation Wally World

Last edited:
Mangrove

Some are true stories, some are not. The next one in the series for you, Lovers Rock, is just a house party, but my God I loved it so much.

News of the World - Tom Hanks' western, as he plays a man in 1870 who travels town to town around Texas reading the news to various townsfolk, when he picks up a young girl who had been captured by native Americans and who he's instructed to return to her living uncle and aunt. The cinematography in this is vast and sweeping, evocative of John Ford, and Tom Hanks is charming as ever. The story is a bit slight, and thematically the whole news reading part of his life feels a little forced and tacked on, but it was still enjoyable.

Another Round - Mads Mikkelsen-starring Danish film about four high school teacher friends, bored and dispassionate about their work and their lives, who decide to partake in an experiment after one discovers a philosophy that the optimal human blood alcohol content is 0.05%, and so take to trying to maintain this consistent alcohol level through the school day, becoming more engaging teachers in the process. Of course, this cannot last, and the desire to up the level goes disastrously. Excellent film, with both comedy and drama well balanced, and great performances from its excellent cast giving an enjoyable study of mid-life crises (watched on my birthday, so that hit home).

Was bored and watched I Love You Man since I hadn’t seen it before.

classic mid-2000s example of “we’re willing to approach homosexuality as an abstract idea but we’re still not ready to let a gay relationship be shown on screen”

classic mid-2000s example of “we’re willing to approach homosexuality as an abstract idea but we’re still not ready to let a gay relationship be shown on screen”

I thought it was more about exploring a male friendship that didn’t have toxic masculinity involved. I’m not arguing against the fact that major studios could be more willing to tell gay stories, but I don’t think that’s the problem here.

I thought it was more about exploring a male friendship that didn’t have toxic masculinity involved. I’m not arguing against the fact that major studios could be more willing to tell gay stories, but I don’t think that’s the problem here.
I just thought it was weird that they spent so much time heavily implying Paul Rudd’s character was gay and then never referred to it again, almost like they were thinking of making him gay and then backed out and shot a different ending.

Two trips to the cinema for the weekend.

The Little Things - I find the bad/scathing reviews for this baffling to be honest. It was a pretty good movie. I've seen some genuine critiques about the editing and stuff that I can cop, but to see people saying it was a Seven copy or whatever is just lazy imo. Probably the same people that went and watched Joker at the cinema 5 times. It was a really cool thriller that I think showed the frustrations that police detectives can face. Loved the scenes when Denzel, Leto and Malek would share the screen but even the Denzel/Rami scenes were a lot of fun. It was a bit of a surprise seeing Malek in this type of role, I saw someone say that he could have in fact played been the antagonist in this movie better than he did his detective character.
I wouldn't call it the best movie ever or one of my favourites, but it was a fun two hours with an interesting ending.
Was reading the wiki yesterday and someone wrote that in the earlier scenes of the movie the killer was walking without a limp, and Leto obviously had a distinct limp, indicating he wasn't actually the killer, but I think he was fwiw.
7.5/10

Another Round - This movie was really fun. I love the theory and idea of the whole 0.05 is the optimal BAC to go about your life in because when you are at around that level, everything is really ******* good. However the movie shows that it isn't really a sustainable or realistic thing to live with. Only really seen Mikkelson in Hannibal and I didn't see much of that but he had a great performance, and I liked the rest of the main cast too. They all seemed like blokes you would have definitely had beers with at some point. Probably a 7.5/10 but maybe an 8.

I just thought it was weird that they spent so much time heavily implying Paul Rudd’s character was gay and then never referred to it again, almost like they were thinking of making him gay and then backed out and shot a different ending.

Fair enough, it’s been a while since I’ve seen it so a good reason to rewatch it.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also I’ve been on a Coen brothers binge, really likes No Country for Old Men and Fargo, currently watching Blood Simple.

Great film, love it.

Don't think it's about homosexuality at all personally.

Great film, love it.

Don't think it's about homosexuality at all personally.

yeah in hindsight i might have been reading what i saw completely wrong

Two trips to the cinema for the weekend.

The Little Things - I find the bad/scathing reviews for this baffling to be honest. It was a pretty good movie. I've seen some genuine critiques about the editing and stuff that I can cop, but to see people saying it was a Seven copy or whatever is just lazy imo. Probably the same people that went and watched Joker at the cinema 5 times. It was a really cool thriller that I think showed the frustrations that police detectives can face. Loved the scenes when Denzel, Leto and Malek would share the screen but even the Denzel/Rami scenes were a lot of fun. It was a bit of a surprise seeing Malek in this type of role, I saw someone say that he could have in fact played been the antagonist in this movie better than he did his detective character.
I wouldn't call it the best movie ever or one of my favourites, but it was a fun two hours with an interesting ending.
Was reading the wiki yesterday and someone wrote that in the earlier scenes of the movie the killer was walking without a limp, and Leto obviously had a distinct limp, indicating he wasn't actually the killer, but I think he was fwiw.
7.5/10
We watched it yesterday. It was well written, intense etc, but it went on for a long time.

I guess it's more of thing in life too that it shows you can't always get the answers and things don't always end how you want them to.

Red Dot on Netflix. Swedish film.

Not bad and a film about an innocent couple with a past that comes back to haunt them when they decide to take a camping trip to see the Northern Lights from their camping ground/tent set up in the middle of winter.

Worth a look and I have seen worse on a boring lockdown night!

6.5/10.

Love that movie, have never considered Rudd's character to be an implied homosexual.

Interesting take.

I didn't get the impression he was gay (implied or otherwise) at all.

Was just about friendship to me.

Just watched Come and See, a 1985 Soviet film set in Belarus in 1943.

One of the most confronting movies I've ever seen, it's so straightforward in showing the absolutely disgusting reality of war. Genuinely feel a little ill after watching it, the director does an amazing job of making it impossible to look away from the horror you're seeing.

Assassins which is a doco on the murder of Kim Jong uns half brother. What a freaking story, i had no idea of the follow up to his death but i was rivetted throughout. I am not sure if its on any streaming service but it can be found. 10/10

Watching this on Friday as part of the Perth Festival, thanks for the heads up that it should be a good one.

Danger Close : The Battle of Long Tan.

Amazon Prime.

Wow just ******* wow. An Australian version of Saving private Ryan if that makes sense without the Hollywood glitz. Made by Aussies about one of the most courageous battles to come out of the Vietnam war which was won by us even when we were outnumbered 10-1 at best. This is Aussie history folks.

Watch it with pride and I like many others had close family friends of my father and relatives serve in Vietnam for the ultimate sacrifice which was their lives.

10/10 and this film needs wayyyyy more exposure.

Must see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back