Has an AFL decision/policy ever cost your club a potential flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Be it suspensions / club punishments / draft restrictions-compromises / rule changes / scheduling of finals / other etc etc (but not umpiring),

I don't know of one for the Hawks. Arguably in 2012 we should have got the extra days rest because we finished on top, but we shot ourselves in the foot too.

On behalf of the interstate clubs

The AFL's MCG grand final agreement potentially.

Without it

2017 Grand Final hosted by Adelaide as the higher ranked team
2016 Grand Final hosted by Sydney as the higher ranked team
2015 Grand Final hosted by West Coast as the higher ranked team
2014 Grand Final hosted by Sydney as the higher ranked team

A lot of what if's if the MCG wasn't locked in every year

Last edited:

On behalf of the interstate clubs

The AFL's MCG grand final agreement potentially.

Without it

2017 Grand Final hosted by Adelaide as the higher ranked team
2016 Grand Final hosted by Sydney as the higher ranked team
2015 Grand Final hosted by West Coast as the higher ranked team
2014 Grand Final hosted by Sydney as the higher ranked team

A lot of what if's if the MCG wasn't locked in every year

There are many counter arguments to that, but the best argument I think is that your position in WA, including your home-ground, also helps you get to a lot of finals and grand finals.

There are many counter arguments to that, but the best I think is that your position in WA, including your home-ground, also helps you get to a lot of finals and grand finals.

It does, there's no denying that.

But solution to that could be hosting the Grand Final at a true neutral venue? ie
WA club VS Vic club = host it in SA/NSW/QLD
SA club VS Vic club = host it in WA/NSW/QLD
etc

Be it suspensions / club punishments / draft restrictions-compromises / rule changes / scheduling of finals / other etc etc (but not umpiring),

I don't know of one for the Hawks. Arguably in 2012 we should have got the extra days rest because we finished on top, but we shot ourselves in the foot too.

The only GFs we've lost are because we werent good enough on the day.

There are many counter arguments to that, but the best argument I think is that your position in WA, including your home-ground, also helps you get to a lot of finals and grand finals.

You do realise victorians get home ground advantage as well against interstate clubs yeah?
And they get no advantage or disadvantage when playing fellow victorians home or away.

So that still leaves the automatic home city GF “because”.

In no way am I saying we would of won 2019 in NSW or anywhere else. We were completely outplayed. Could of done without the 12hr bus ride (plus 5hr drive) both ways though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only GFs we've lost are because we werent good enough on the day.
I'm not sure you're an Eagles supporter :p

In all seriousness, I reckon every single year there are so many variables from the draft, to salary caps, to home grounds, to schedules, to double ups, to suspensions that it really does come down to just a game of football. We can speculate to the end of time about what would be different, I know for the Tigers we wouldn't have won the flag but we could have gone deeper in finals the year Essendon got booted and we played a bogey club in Carlton rather than hosting a home final against an interstate side we'd beaten earlier in the year if memory serves me well.

The term "costing a flag" just means that a side wasn't good enough to deal with the competition on the day and lost a game of football. I think what 2020 showed us is that the best teams will win those games of football when and where it matters.

Vic teams get no advantage or disadvantage when playing fellow victorians home or away.

10 teams in Vic. That is a lot of neutral games.

Non-Vic teams, having an interstate home ground, get a huge boost during the season and finals. You only need 12-13 wins to make the finals. And, when you get a final, having a home advantage really helps. Especially if you are a good team. If you are s**t, the travelling becomes a burden.

Last edited:
12 teams in Vic. That is a lot of neutral games. You need 12-13 wins to make the finals.

And, when you get a final, having a home advantage really helps.

Non-Vic teams, having an interstate home ground, get a huge boost during the season and finals.

It is. But just as you aren’t getting the home advantage you aren’t getting the away disadvantage.

The loss of an away disadvantage seems to be forgotten about when talking about neutral games.

No huge boost at all. It all works out during the home and away.

When we get to a grand final though......

I'm not sure you're an Eagles supporter :p

In all seriousness, I reckon every single year there are so many variables from the draft, to salary caps, to home grounds, to schedules, to double ups, to suspensions that it really does come down to just a game of football. We can speculate to the end of time about what would be different, I know for the Tigers we wouldn't have won the flag but we could have gone deeper in finals the year Essendon got booted and we played a bogey club in Carlton rather than hosting a home final against an interstate side we'd beaten earlier in the year if memory serves me well.

The term "costing a flag" just means that a side wasn't good enough to deal with the competition on the day and lost a game of football. I think what 2020 showed us is that the best teams will win those games of football when and where it matters.

When you win or lose on GF day, particularly when its close, call it luck or whatever .... the first GF win is unique, never revisited.
Prelim losses are the days for what if/excuses for opportunities lost, because we all think we are good enough that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back