South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Tough ask for the Gold Coast girls.

Freo by 52.
Bowers 25 and 15, and BOG again.
Sharp, Houghton, Duffy all 2 goals each.
(I think I’m being conservative here, but can’t go too hard too early).

My buddies Grieve and Seth to miss out again.🙁

Tricky to fit Gooch back in, so whoever goes out for her will be v unlucky.

Last edited:
Fremantle haven't beaten Gold Coast since they last met in the finals of 2020, Fremantle's season ending that weekend.

The Dockers will be out for revenge. Real grudge match this one.

Absolute battle of the titans with the Dockers on a run of wins against a depleted Crows and cellar dweller sides in West Coast and GWS - Gold Coast coming off three games with 184 points scored in them.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I just rewatched - I think Sergeant needs to come out for Gooch. A lot of her stats were from kick-ins. She’s building, but someone needs to make way for Evie, and I can’t see who else it could be.

Yes, just quietly I was surprised she was selected for this game. However, You would be struggling to find too many other players that wouldn't just about be guaranteed of being selected again.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes, just quietly I was surprised she was selected for this game. However, You would be struggling to find too many other players that wouldn't just about be guaranteed of being selected again.
Yeah, tough decisions to be made at the selection table this week, but I’d imagine Cooper will want Gooch to come straight back in. I can’t see who else could come out. Sergeant unfortunately hasn’t shown a whole lot so far this season. But yeah, coaches like to stick with a winning combination.

Hopefully the team keep themselves grounded & don't drink the proverbial bathwater, but I like our chances just quietly.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hopefully the team keep themselves grounded & don't drink the proverbial bathwater, but I like our chances just quietly.
They come across as a very tight, feet-on-the-ground team who genuinely enjoy each other’s company, and who play for each other 100%. They know where they want to be, and I reckon you can feel their determination and steel. I think they see every game as a challenge to get harder and better and don’t they take anything for granted. They’re also not content to just win, they want to put their collective foot on the throat and win big.

They come across as a very tight, feet-on-the-ground team who genuinely enjoy each other’s company, and who play for each other 100%. They know where they want to be, and I reckon you can feel their determination and steel. I think they see every game as a challenge to get harder and better and don’t they take anything for granted. They’re also not content to just win, they want to put their collective foot on the throat and win big.
Hoboy!!

Also reckon there's a fair bit of inspiration that came out of the phantom finish last season.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hoboy!!

Also reckon there's a fair bit of inspiration that came out of the phantom finish last season.
Yup. They would have had a home prelim, win that and a home GF. Thievery above and beyond.

[O/T: My (tin foil hat perhaps) theory, is that they went ahead trying to get 3 weeks of finals in because they knew they couldn’t finish, with the only other option being to go straight to a Freo/Northmania GF, which Freo would have had every right to host. Given the utensil-up of Freo being screwed the year before in finals, how could they get around giving Freo the GF at home? Have ‘pretend’ finals with the back-up of having no premier when the season would inevitably have to be abandoned. /conspiracy theory.]

Yup. They would have had a home prelim, win that and a home GF. Thievery above and beyond.

[O/T: My (tin foil hat perhaps) theory, is that they went ahead trying to get 3 weeks of finals in because they knew they couldn’t finish, with the only other option being to go straight to a Freo/Northmania GF, which Freo would have had every right to host. Given the utensil-up of Freo being screwed the year before in finals, how could they get around giving Freo the GF at home? Have ‘pretend’ finals with the back-up of having no premier when the season would inevitably have to be abandoned. /conspiracy theory.]
Let's consult Fact Check for that theory...

correct.JPG

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
What really stands out is the way that everyone, every single one of them, is always blocking/shepherding/protecting her teammates, throwing her body into contests to prevent the opposition from getting clean possession. Seen a few critical comments of Gabby's game yesterday, but she was one of the best at this.

One of the great things about telecasts from the suburban grounds is getting to see close ups of the contests on the near-side boundary. There was one piece of brilliance by Stannett holding back 3 Crows just by kind of circling the ball, treating it like a hockey ball and her arm the stick, and preventing the opposition players from gathering the ball until help arrived and she was able to tap the ball out (to Gabby, I think?)

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What really stands out is the way that everyone, every single one of them, is always blocking/shepherding/protecting her teammates, throwing her body into contests to prevent the opposition from getting clean possession. Seen a few critical comments of Gabby's game yesterday, but she was one of the best at this.

One of the great things about telecasts from the suburban grounds is getting to see close ups of the contests on the near-side boundary. There was one piece of brilliance by Stannett holding back 3 Crows just by kind of circling the ball, treating it like a hockey ball and her arm the stick, and preventing the opposition players from gathering the ball until help arrived and she was able to tap the ball out (to Gabby, I think?)
Yeah, there are no egos, and it’s all team driven. Go hard, protect your team mates, tackle ferociously, win the ball. They’re just so tough. I said to my wife - they’re just so fierce.
And Stannett is a cross-coder from Perth Glory, so that knowledge and execution of protecting the ball would be something she knows well. Love Stannett.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Yeah, that's tin-foil hat mate.

My theory is that a Vic club that would have been barred from a shorter finals series cracked the shits and AFL House acquiesced, with the eventual cost that there was no flag.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, that's tin-foil hat mate.

My theory is that a Vic club that would have been barred from a shorter finals series cracked the shits and AFL House acquiesced, with the eventual cost that there was no flag.

Melbourne and Collingwood were the teams that spat the dummy. They were both 4-2 with higher percentages than the second best team in the other conference. They wanted the chance to get into the top two in their conference. So instead of 1st v 1st (which would have got a result) or 1st v 2nd and 2nd v 1st, (which is what we thought would happen), they only reduced the whole season by 1 week by having the top 4 in each conference play a potential 3 week final series. And Collingwood and Melbourne got to play finals.

3 weeks were never going to happen. 2 weeks might have and 1 week of finals would have worked. It was stupid at the time and in hindsight.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I just rewatched - I think Sergeant needs to come out for Gooch. A lot of her stats were from kick-ins. She’s building, but someone needs to make way for Evie, and I can’t see who else it could be.

Come on IP, you know it in your heart, ...... it’s Evie picked first, then pick the rest of the team after that !!!!!.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anybody know what is going on with Seth?

I'm assuming we are using her as a part-time physio (like Mascall as well) but I cannot fathom Seth not being in the team if not fit.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Does anybody know what is going on with Seth?

I'm assuming we are using her as a part-time physio (like Mascall as well) but I cannot fathom Seth not being in the team if not fit.
I agree! Seth, Stannett and Pugh were our unheralded underrated (superstar) backline triplets last year. I don’t understand her not being in there (not just buddy talk! KJ is a different story... show us some KJ!).

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The girls are on the plane home now. They stayed an extra couple of days to hang out, be tourists, and bond! If you have any question how much these girls love each other, their instagrams show it. They’re such a tight group! 💜

Roll on Saturday!

Back