Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Well Xavier didn't really give them the option of having a conversation. The email was more "9% will be withheld for November". Sounds like a decision to me. The leak is poor, but the wording of the email is why the player(s) contacted the Union. What else is there to discuss when the CEO sends out a definitive email?

I am looking at the bigger picture - Quite possibly the issue could have been handled better BUT if every mistake made by admin/footy department is leaked to the media, it doesn't augur well for the club - I have no doubt that players often seek the counsel of the AFLPA BUT how often do these end up in the media.

you tell the club to eat **** imo

First call Id make would be to the union and second would be to my manager. I also wouldn't be concerned about leaks, would be the last thing on my mind.

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
SEN reporting that Xavier might be next out the door, on the way to the Crows.

Interadasting.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell has emerged as a potential candidate to become Adelaide’s next CEO.

South Australian footy journalist Michelangelo Rucci has linked Campbell to the Crows job following Andrew Fagan’s resignation on the eve of the 2021 season.

Campbell, who has held the CEO position at the Bombers since 2014, is a SANFL premiership player with Sturt and has worked for the South Australian Government as an economic analyst.

“The framework is pretty clear what from John Olsen (Adelaide chairman) said,” Rucci told SEN SA Breakfast.

“It will be someone who knows South Australia, that usually means they’re South Australian, they know the nuances of South Australian football, someone who has had an active role at SANFL level more so than AFL level.

“If you look at what sort of field that is, they probably in the end go headhunting more so than wait for those applications.

“A name that has very much emerged over the weekend is Xavier Campbell, who is the chief executive at Essendon.

“I would think that Xavier Campbell’s name is going to become quite evident shortly. It won’t be a field that lacks quality, that’s for sure.”

AFLPA GM of Legal and Player Affairs James Gallagher and former West Coast football boss Craig Vozzo are also thought to be vying for the role.

Why would he go sideways? He was supposedly headhunted for a plum job at AFL HQ and didn't take it because he had unfinished business at Essendon. Leaving now would not reflect well on his legacy...

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Why would they want somebody with SANFL experience? I would think it's pretty low on the priorities for running an AFL club.

Historically the Crows have been so intrinsically linked to the SANFL that a reasonable understanding of the comp would be useful to negotiate the politics. Not sure the level of that now that the Crows have their own SANFL side. Also John Olsen was chairman of the SA Football Commission and more recently president of the SANFL so I wonder if he wants more of a yes man in place.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
Please please please please
EFC X.jpg

I'm not sure I get all the hate. Is he *that* bad?

Aside from being there during some of our worst times and making some questionable off field decisions he doesn't appear to be horrible aside from people wanting someone to blame.

The thing that sticks out for me though is I constantly hear of him going elsewhere.

He is constantly linked to jobs, where as others like for example Rodski, you wake up one day and he has got a job elsewhere, doesn't appear to have been linked to any at all.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not sure I get all the hate. Is he *that* bad?
Probably not - I dislike him but I think it’s more because he reminds me of a type I see lots of in corporate world. I don’t think he’s particularly effective either though.

That said, many seem to think he’s on some fast track to a leadership role with the AFL (which he may well be) and I would argue he’s not *that* good.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably not - I dislike him but I think it’s more because he reminds me of a type I see lots of in corporate world. I don’t think he’s particularly effective either though.

That said, many seem to think he’s on some fast track to a leadership role with the AFL (which he may well be) and I would argue he’s not *that* good.

What about the last two AFL CEO's make you think being *that* good is even a requirement on an AFL leadership role? ;)

Back