Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch
The deal with MG is ‘clean’ so far as China game is concerned; no such snag in the fine print.

The intro to SAIC and thus to MG in Sydney was a result of connection via the annual match in Shanghai.

So we got our cake in the form of Gui, and with car sales going well thus far in Oz, which is MG’s focus, we get to eat it, too.
eers for that LR.

Correct.
In 2015 Loretta Lai of ANZ Bank introduced Mr. Gui (her Kidman-focussed client in WA) to PAFC and thus AFL at Adelaide Oval, and Gui instantly saw the image, marketing and personal-face value in going down in history as the man who brought Australian Football to China. Make that Shanghai, not China.
It was never our intention in the early stage, which includes Gui, to play a premiership round match in China. We did have longer-term vision to play an exhibition match in Shanghai but not until circa 2018-2020.
The Club’s basic aim was to secure by 2017 a $1,000,000 per annum China-based sponsor cum partner cum benefactor. That turned out to be Mr. Gui who not only showed up two or three years early but also brought with him his knee-jerk ambition for the Club to play in Shanghai.
KT was in a quandary as to what to do at first. Gui wanted to move at breakneck speed. At our lunch in the Foreign Correspondents’ Club in HK in Feb. 2016 KT quizzed me on how to go about things. Should he deal direct with Gui or go through us in HK? I told him he must deal direct with Shanghai, keep tight with Gui, keep a close personal eye on him, and play whatever pitches come back from Gui each on its merits.
We know now that it all went exhaustingly well for the Club ... until covid.
NB: Gui Guojie is still there, still keen on resuming the project asap. Hopefully in 2022.
The NB tells me that this will resume at some stage.

Thanks for the insights.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lockhart Road
What’s things like in HK at the moment with CV19 and Beijing exerting their influence ?
Not affecting an afternoon in the Pro Drinkers corner I hope
We are havng the best non-winter HK has ever had. Clear blue skies, temperature mid twenties. Spending three or four afternoons a week in Pro Drinkers Corner, but trouble is covid restrictions have us vacate at six p.m. It’s just like the six o’clock swill again. The original ended one week before I went into the Army in 1967, now here it is back again.

We had a surge in cases a couple of months ago. Daily tally is now down to twenty and we’re hopeful the social rules will be relaxed a bit after Chinese New Year next weekend.

Beijing doesn’t affect our daily lives, just those of the seriously protest-minded. I could go deeper into the pros and cons if this was the politics thread.

Thank you for thinking of us up here.

Today, Port Adelaide – that in 2011 could not get past the lobby of multinationals to present sponsorship opportunities – has backing from a UK giant (GFG Alliance), a Chinese powerhouse (MG cars) and an American monolith (KFC from Colonel Sanders in the PepsiCo empire).

Did Koch spin the bolded bullshit to Rucci, or is Rucci still living in the 1990's??

They spun off all their restaurants into a seperate company on the NY Stock Exchange called Tricon Global Restaurants and offered 1 share in the new company for every 10 held in PepsiCo. They listed on the NYSE in September 1997. They changed their name to YUM! Brands inc or just YUM as per their stock exchange symbol around 2001 or 2002. Pepsi after spinning them off, weren't back in 1997 and aren't today, a significant shareholder.

Pepsi stitched them up with long term supply contract for their beverages. Plus the new company had to pay a one-time distribution of $4.5 USD billion at the time of the spinoff.

"Realistically, Australia's prickly politics with China isn't even close to being over yet, in fact it might be the new normal.
The best case scenario now, is to find some sort of middle ground."

I don't understand the bullshit reporting of iron ore and chinese ambitions in africa.

1) the future of steel is hydrogen and hydrogen can't be exported or transported.
2) the best iron ore exists on the west coasts and the west coasts are generally shallow.

This means african iron ore is difficult and costly to ship to china, as the distance is great and the port/ channel capex high. So the iron ore is not going to china in any great volumes.

3) China's steel requirements per head will decrease and recycling increase
4) Africa's population is growing fast with 4.7 billion by the end of the century. Compared to Asia's 4.8 billion including china and india.

So the demand for steel is shifting from Asia to africa. So perhaps Australians should be buying iron ore deposits in Africa to secure the next 100 years of customers.

Our journalists need jail sentences to wake them up from racist propaganda, to become an informative, professional and credible trade.

Seeing this thread has been bumped I will put up the link to the interview my mate the Airport Economist broadcasted with Koch a few weeks ago on his 5 part half hour shows called After the Pandemic. His interview with Turnbull the following episode was pretty interesting in tone and how different a politicans view to China is compared to the business leaders and others interviewed in the series..

The program is on ausbiz.com a newish 24 hour internet business news channel which is a partnership between Koch, a couple of other finance journos and Sky Business News network.

Koch took the interview pretty seriously, probably because Tim started with his father Dean's efforts in the 1970's and 80's in exporting coal to China. Koch is pretty positive about the long term benefits of trade normalising with China, ergo Port's effort to tap into Chinese businesses dealing with Oz.

He also interviews Fortescue Metal's Group CEO Elizabeth Gaines in the same program, who is an impressive CEO. Power Raid you know Twiggy Forrest, any chance Jay Weatherill or Andrew Hunter now working for his Minderoo Foundation can swing some stuff Port's way?

The series home page

Episode 3 with Koch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard the ABC trying to verbal Tim Harcourt a couple of times recently re the dire state of our governments relations with China and what Tim actually said didn't tally with the ABC's line at all.
Yeah Tim is a realist. I chatted to him about the interview with Koch the weekend after it was screened. He is also optimistic but said not as optimistic as Koch is about the future.

After the Turnbull interview I had a text conversation with him and said he is the poster boy how to deal with the tense issues. He is an Aussie who married an American, about 13 years ago they adopted their Chinese daughter and about 6 years ago adopted their Taiwanese son. He has to deal with all the geo political hot spot cultures within his own family.

Seeing this thread has been bumped I will put up the link to the interview my mate the Airport Economist broadcasted with Koch a few weeks ago on his 5 part half hour shows called After the Pandemic. His interview with Turnbull the following episode was pretty interesting in tone and how different a politicans view to China is compared to the business leaders and others interviewed in the series..

The program is on ausbiz.com a newish 24 hour internet business news channel which is a partnership between Koch, a couple of other finance journos and Sky Business News network.

Koch took the interview pretty seriously, probably because Tim started with his father Dean's efforts in the 1970's and 80's in exporting coal to China. Koch is pretty positive about the long term benefits of trade normalising with China, ergo Port's effort to tap into Chinese businesses dealing with Oz.

He also interviews Fortescue Metal's Group CEO Elizabeth Gaines in the same program, who is an impressive CEO. Power Raid you know Twiggy Forrest, any chance Jay Weatherill or Andrew Hunter now working for his Minderoo Foundation can swing some stuff Port's way?

The series home page

Episode 3 with Koch

I think Jay Weatherill is focusing on the youth stuff.....something like thrive by 5
I think Andrew Hunter might have scored a great job of looking after 26 sovereign nation relationship role

I dare say everyone is working too hard to add to their portfolios or strategies. That said an amazing opportunity has passed FFIs desk which is very relevant to SA. However I feel they are now focused on the growth market of Africa, with the $100B maiden project in the DRC and many more to come.

It will be easier to do business overseas from a regulatory point of view and then consider Oz later.

In terms of China, I feel everyone accepts we will go to war at some stage. The only question is what scale of war, when and how does the relationship improve post conflict.

i'm going to war?!

Throughout history trade wars become currency wars followed by hot wars

We are two steps in and seeing the largest build up of naval forces in the history of man

Battle lines are being set up with China divesting from Australia and other jurisdictions and same said with the US and EU

India has moved to secure 15% of the world’s supply of war metals and secured their geopolitical support.

Chinas autobahn construction (hmmm sound familiar), the string of pearls and military build up like 1930s Germany……hmmm. Remember it takes decades to have capability but overnight intent.

The only question is will conflicts be proxy wars like Vietnam, Korea and Afghanistan or higher stakes.

We are two steps in and seeing the largest build up of naval forces in the history of man

Battle lines are being set up with China divesting from Australia and other jurisdictions and same said with the US and EU

India has moved to secure 15% of the world’s supply of war metals and secured their geopolitical support.

Chinas autobahn construction (hmmm sound familiar), the string of pearls and military build up like 1930s Germany……hmmm. Remember it takes decades to have capability but overnight intent.

The only question is will conflicts be proxy wars like Vietnam, Korea and Afghanistan or higher stakes.

Taiwan will be the flashpoint.

Taiwan will be the flashpoint.

Agree

Taiwan is a non negotiable for China and the rest of the world. It is so clear that war is the only outcome of change, I don’t think it will be the trigger.

Pakistan, Iran, Sri lanka are all hot spots (all Chinese allies) with China seeking to build the worlds largest naval port in Sri Lanka. India has told Sri Lanka if they go ahead, India will sink their island.

Bhutan and the chicken neck have had many battles already. Russia like India and Bhutan are already in conflict with China.

Then we have the Philippines, Korea, Japan, PNG and Africa……..why do Australians think we gave the vaccines to PNG when we didn’t have enough ourselves?

The EU is pulling out of Central Asia

Within 10 years we will be back into a divided globe like the Soviet era

China very rarely go to war. Any war will be started by the USA.

So yes we may, but it’ll be America’s doing.

China very rarely go to war. Any war will be started by the USA.

So yes we may, but it’ll be America’s doing.

This is a furphy

China is built and held together by war. Have a think about the Kazakhs known as Uyghurs

Think about why the Kuomintang is in Taiwan

Think about why there are so many Chinese displaced around the world

Add Tibet, parts of Russia, parts of India and Bhutan, parts of the Philippines etc etc.

The US consolidation of their nation was the same……..and I’d prefer to avoid debates about sides or propaganda. Rather I’d prefer to focus on facts

This is a furphy

China is built and held together by war. Have a think about the Kazakhs known as Uyghurs

Think about why the Kuomintang is in Taiwan

Think about why there are so many Chinese displaced around the world

Add Tibet, parts of Russia, parts of India and Bhutan, parts of the Philippines etc etc.

The US consolidation of their nation was the same……..and I’d prefer to avoid debates about sides or propaganda. Rather I’d prefer to focus on facts
It’s not a furphy, it’s fact.
The GMD was a civil war.
The border disputes are just that and both sides are as responsible.
Bringing up the internal issues are a furphy.
America project outwards constantly...it’s not even close to comparable.

Those are facts.
I‘ve worked in Arunchai Pradesh and Nepal. The disputes are access disputes really, barely anybody lives there.
It’s like France and England arguing about the channel tunnel.

Not close to comparable to US nonsense in South America and the Middle East.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back