General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

All the bids are planning to play at Suncorp, so the differentiating quality is where their training ground and traditional support base is. I'm hoping Redcliffe's bid gets up, because they're stuck out on the peninsula in a heavily RL area, so I see them as the smallest threat to the Lions. We have a big number of fans based around Coorparoo and the inner east, and I'd rather not fight over that territory since we already have plenty of interest from there. Similarly, seeing as the new training base will be in Springfield, we have an opportunity to win lots of fans in Ipswich as they'll be local to training, and I don't want to be competing with a RL team also muscling in on that area.
Don’t follow RL at all, but I would be surprised if the bid didn’t go to Ipswich.

Why's that? Redcliffe probably have the most money and the strongest existing brand.
As I mentioned, I don’t follow RL or know anything about the local scene.

Growing up, Ipswich was always viewed as a heartland area of RL, and I’ve heard Ipswich mentioned as a potential location of a new team for decades.

Ipswich is also a separate city, based on the opposite side of the Brisbane city from the Broncos headquarters and training base.

RL will be conscious of AFL encroaching on one of their heartland areas, with the Lions base at Springfield, and locating a second team in Ipswich would be an obvious counter move.

Just from an outsiders perspective, Ipswich would appear the obvious choice.

As I mentioned, I don’t follow RL or know anything about the local scene.

Growing up, Ipswich was always viewed as a heartland area of RL, and I’ve heard Ipswich mentioned as a potential location of a new team for decades.

Ipswich is also a separate city, based on the opposite side of the Brisbane city from the Broncos headquarters and training base.

RL will be conscious of AFL encroaching on one of their heartland areas, with the Lions base at Springfield, and locating a second team in Ipswich would be an obvious counter move.

Just from an outsiders perspective, Ipswich would appear the obvious choice.
Would much prefer to live and train at Redcliffe as opposed to Ipswich.

Would prefer similar for the Lions but unlikely to happen for obvious reasons.

Come on, you're a Brisbane local and you're telling me Red Hill is on the opposite side of the city from Ipswich? Mind you, there are plenty of Ipswich Broncos fans if the state of the train services after games is anything to go by.

This is a good point, although it may cannibalise some of the Broncos support base. Still, that's to be expected regardless of which bid they go with.

Would much prefer to live and train at Redcliffe as opposed to Ipswich.

Would prefer similar for the Lions but unlikely to happen for obvious reasons.
Springfield is much nicer than Ipswich proper, although obviously it doesn't have the coastal lifestyle.

Ipswich and the western corrider is a growth area. It's been years since I've been to Redcliffe but I don't believe there's anything close to that kind of population centres being built out that way.

I'm a Dolphins man from way back (Bryan Niebling, Chris Close, Bunny Pearce, Mark Murray etc). Fell out of love with RL in the mid 90s, but a Redcliffe team would likely get me somewhat interested again.

My understanding is the team will not be called "Redcliffe" and may end up being called North Brisbane or Moreton Bay Dolphins or something similar and will tap into the urban corridor from North Lakes up to Caboolture and further north. People often talk about Ipswich as being a growth corridor, but there's been some insane development heading north towards the Sunny Coast over the past 20 years.

They already have first-class facilities, an NRL-oval for smaller-drawing games and a very solid on-going financial setup. I'd have them as favourites, but I can see an Ipswich-base team in the next 10 years.

Come on, you're a Brisbane local and you're telling me Red Hill is on the opposite side of the city from Ipswich? Mind you, there are plenty of Ipswich Broncos fans if the state of the train services after games is anything to go by.
It is on the North side of the river and city. It’s practically in Ashgrove. So yes, in the essence of my discussion, one team is on the North side, one on the South (and West) side.

It feels like it’s about the same distance out of the city as the Lions Coorparoo base is.

This is not a serious topic for me, so I’m not looking to make any genuine points or anything as such. Was just saying that from an outsiders perspective, Ipswich would seem like the logical choice.

I wonder if in the long term, a local stadium is part of the bidding process.

I hate the idea of a breakaway Super Football competition in Europe which has been mooted overnight, some of the biggest clubs apparently keen eg. Manchester United/City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus. I pretty much agree with what Gary Neville has to say here >

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly gutsy last minute win by the Reds.

Rugby Union can set up some of the most unbelievably compelling scenarios.

The chasm between what it could be and what it unfortunately has turned into over the past 20 years is enormous.

You might be right. V'landys might have tipped his hand in this interview he gave to the CM recently.

"Queensland is our turf and I will protect it. The AFL have been very smart and strategic by moving into the western corridor (of Brisbane), but they can’t sit back and think I will accept that."

You might be right. V'landys might have tipped his hand in this interview he gave to the CM recently.

"Queensland is our turf and I will protect it. The AFL have been very smart and strategic by moving into the western corridor (of Brisbane), but they can’t sit back and think I will accept that."

The great thing for us is that Springfield makes fiscal sense regardless. Any increased support from the area is basically gravy.

Witnessing a real generational changing of the guard in F1.

Verstappen coming of age. Norris and Russell are jets. Leclerc could be anything if Ferrari get their s**t together. Significant regulation changes next year. Exciting times.

Heap earth on the Lewis Hamilton era.

Feel for Ricciardo though. Something just isn’t right in his headspace.

Last edited:
Feel for Ricciardo though. Something just isn’t right in his headspace.

Almost feels Kyrgios-like. Amazing at his sport, but would rather play for the money rather than ultimate success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back