2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

mids be interesting.
I say Linc, Charlie, Rayner, Starc, AhChee and Bailey get more time. Daniher in forward line allows Charlie more time up the ground.
Do wonder if Kiddy get some time in mid as well?
So maybe Zorko less. he did seem to be a yard of pace down last year with his foot.. So probably depends where he gets to this year.
I did think we lacked some pace out of the mids last year.. Although we got beaten by bigger bodied mids a few times.

mids be interesting.
I say Linc, Charlie, Rayner, Starc, AhChee and Bailey get more time. Daniher in forward line allows Charlie more time up the ground.
Do wonder if Kiddy get some time in mid as well?
So maybe Zorko less. he did seem to be a yard of pace down last year with his foot.. So probably depends where he gets to this year.
I did think we lacked some pace out of the mids last year.. Although we got beaten by bigger bodied mids a few times.

I am expecting Bailey's onball time to significantly increase and hopefully Rayner as well. McCarthy was getting a bit of time onball late in the year and given he has been going well in the preseason in that role perhaps his time increases as well.

I would retain the same balance with Charlie. That is an occasional burst but largely keep him up forward where he is most dangerous. Coleman I would like to see them ease him up the ground a bit but I would do so mainly on the outside to start. Free him up from his defensive roles and allow him to get a bit of space and use his elite forward 50 entry skills.

Starc and AhChee I cannot see getting time onball. Both solidly in the back 6 at the moment and although both move onto the wing at times I have not seen anything to suggest either would be that effective on the inside. Cockatoo though might be one to keep an eye on.

I would imagine the coaches are hoping Dev Robertson will push into the side this year and play midfield time.
I’m a big Robertson fan, but who goes out for Robertson to come in?

We already have Daniher in for Martin, and possibly Cockatoo in for Birchall.
I am expecting Bailey's onball time to significantly increase and hopefully Rayner as well. McCarthy was getting a bit of time onball late in the year and given he has been going well in the preseason in that role perhaps his time increases as well.

I would retain the same balance with Charlie. That is an occasional burst but largely keep him up forward where he is most dangerous. Coleman I would like to see them ease him up the ground a bit but I would do so mainly on the outside to start. Free him up from his defensive roles and allow him to get a bit of space and use his elite forward 50 entry skills.

Starc and AhChee I cannot see getting time onball. Both solidly in the back 6 at the moment and although both move onto the wing at times I have not seen anything to suggest either would be that effective on the inside. Cockatoo though might be one to keep an eye on.
Who does KColeman come in for?

In my mind, KColeman comes in for either McCarthy or Zorko, if we are dropping a player to fit him in.

My best 22 would look like this.

Starcevich Payne Gardiner
Ah Chee Andrews Rich

Bailey Lyons McCluggage
McInnerney Neale Rayner

Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
McStay Daniher Cameron

Cockatoo JBerry Robertson KColeman/Prior/Birchall

For me, Cockatoo really should be playing mid/wing or half forward. Which means I’d rather Prior or Birchall in the team for balance, rather than KColeman.

In my mind, KColeman comes in for either McCarthy or Zorko, if we are dropping a player to fit him in.

Ah Chee Andrews Rich

Bailey Lyons McCluggage
McInnerney Neale Rayner

Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
McStay Daniher Cameron

For me, Cockatoo really should be playing mid/wing or half forward. Which means I’d rather Prior or Birchall in the team for balance, rather than KColeman.

I would have Coleman ahead of Robertson and I have no issue with selecting him ahead of Cockatoo at the moment either.

The other option (which is one I actually like) is to drop McStay and go with a smaller mobile forward line at times when Daniher is rucking. Give ourselves a different look and make teams struggle to adjust. Admittedly Fagan seems not to like that approach.

The more I think about it, the more I think Daniher pushes McStay out if fit. If we are to go that next step we can no longer afford to effectively sacrifice a tall forward as a role player which is essentially what McStay is. Daniher can bring the ball to ground, mark and score better than McStay can. I wouldn't be surprised to see us line up with Joe, Eric and Fullarton as our KPF's next year with Fullarton playing the McStay role plus chopping out in the ruck.

The more I think about it, the more I think Daniher pushes McStay out if fit. If we are to go that next step we can no longer afford to effectively sacrifice a tall forward as a role player which is essentially what McStay is. Daniher can bring the ball to ground, mark and score better than McStay can. I wouldn't be surprised to see us line up with Joe, Eric and Fullarton as our KPF's next year with Fullarton playing the McStay role plus chopping out in the ruck.
Well that’s not Daniher pushing McStay out of the team, that’s Fullarton pushing McStay out of the team.

I would have Coleman ahead of Robertson and I have no issue with selecting him ahead of Cockatoo at the moment either.

The other option (which is one I actually like) is to drop McStay and go with a smaller mobile forward line at times when Daniher is rucking. Give ourselves a different look and make teams struggle to adjust. Admittedly Fagan seems not to like that approach.
Agree Coleman should be there. I think the club is keen to play Cockatoo if they think he is fit. Fages seemed pretty keen on Sen interview a few weeks ago to play the 3 tall forwards so think McStay will start the season. With real pressure on spots the team may change slightly from week to week depending on match ups.
What concerns me a little bit (with the future in mind), is that there are probably a few young guys on the list who are probably good enough, but not getting an opportunity. Hope they get a crack at the practice game and the game against GWS. Play Prior and or B.Smith instead of Birchall and Adams/Lester. Play Coleman and or Robertson instead of Robbo. With Neal and Berry in light training give E.Smith and Joyce some game time. Not sure what his skills are like but Madden is super fast. Payne and Coleman only got their opportunities, not because the coaching staff thought they were best 22 at the time, but due to injuries and suspension, and now both are considered best 22 or very close. I reckon there are a couple of other young guys who could be best 22 at some point this year IF given a chance.

I've said this a few times I think we need to go tall because of our slow ball movement out of the backline. Weve needed the 3 tall targets for the long kicks down the line.

The presursor for having a more mobile forwardline is having a quicker backline.

We're improving but I'm not sure we've got the setup to get that quick ball movement consistently just yet.

I agree with jackess our plan has been to kick it out of the backline via Birchall/Rich. Either down the wing or centre if space.
Kick it through the defence then the pace and run happens around the middle of the ground if free
Although often we get clogged up we just go along the boundary and get boxed in.
Said the last few years need another option of speed from the HB line, to run it out not just kick it out.
Hopefully Cockatoo offers this.
Be interesting really what we do with the next lot of kids who moves out. Robbo and Zorko down in games last year and Berry had a bad shoulder late in the season.
Hopefully we give a kid with form a go, as previously Fagan likes little changes.
Although they need to be ready.. I understand sometimes getting the game will help.
We all have our favs in the next batch of kids.
Form in the VFL be a must. not just potential need guys knocking down the door.

Well that’s not Daniher pushing McStay out of the team, that’s Fullarton pushing McStay out of the team.
Depends if we want Joe to be second ruck or leave him forward.
If Joe rucks more then he replaces Martin from last year.
Although if Fagan wants a second ruck who plays forward then Fullarton takes Martins role
Then Daniher takes McStays.

Really depends how much rucking Oscar does.. if it ends up a 80-20 split maybe we send Joe into the centre some bounces.
Although 6-6-6 who would you rather in forward 50 on a quick break Joe or McStay. Personally I want Joe
Not sure McStay done centre bounces before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said this a few times I think we need to go tall because of our slow ball movement out of the backline. Weve needed the 3 tall targets for the long kicks down the line.

The presursor for having a more mobile forwardline is having a quicker backline.

We're improving but I'm not sure we've got the setup to get that quick ball movement consistently just yet.
With the new Man in the Mark rule it may open it up for quicker ball movement through shorter 45 kicks rather than run. So that may help us a bit with good ball users in the back line as opposed to being quick.

I’m trying to put together a best 22 and am finding that there is one man in particular that could start on basically every line on the ground - Rat Bailey. Think this bloke is a super talent and should explode soon. Where do we see his best position currently? Wing? With Zorko more than likely to spend more time up forward, I’m hoping Bailey can start to spend some more time inside, but not sure there is the room for him there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With the new Man in the Mark rule it may open it up for quicker ball movement through shorter 45 kicks rather than run. So that may help us a bit with good ball users in the back line as opposed to being quick.

May possibly benefit someone like Rich.

May possibly benefit someone like Rich.

May also assist teams that play a short kicking game anyway.
Like Geelong and Carlton and even Richmond and the Bulldogs with their handball chains through a defence after taking a mark.

All of todays post so far have merit in one way or another
Some positions, maybe more than we think are up for the taking.
We have 10 players that should improve sitting in the 40-99 game bracket. This is where our big improvement should come from in 2021.
Five in the 10-39 game bracket: A Smith 16, Starcevich 23, Answerth, 28, Cockatoo 34 & Adams 38
Six that have shown potential in the 1-6 game bracket: T Berry 6, K Coleman 5, Payne 5, Ballenden 2, Fullarton 2 & Robertson 1.
Then the untried group totaling 11 with one LTI and a couple cat B rookies
Lastly their are 12 in the senior group 100- 264 games with 4 players that some posters feel are in doubt for a spot in best 22. Birchall, Robbo, Lester & McStay.
If those 4 end up being fit and not named round 1 we will have a very good squad
Be interesting to see who gets named v Suns next week.
Hope public can attend this trial game

All of todays post so far have merit in one way or another
Some positions, maybe more than we think are up for the taking.
We have 10 players that should improve sitting in the 40-99 game bracket. This is where our big improvement should come from in 2021.
Five in the 10-39 game bracket: A Smith 16, Starcevich 23, Answerth, 28, Cockatoo 34 & Adams 38
Six that have shown potential in the 1-6 game bracket: T Berry 6, K Coleman 5, Payne 5, Ballenden 2, Fullarton 2 & Robertson 1.
Then the untried group totaling 11 with one LTI and a couple cat B rookies
Lastly their are 12 in the senior group 100- 264 games with 4 players that some posters feel are in doubt for a spot in best 22. Birchall, Robbo, Lester & McStay.
If those 4 end up being fit and not named round 1 we will have a very good squad
Be interesting to see who gets named v Suns next week.
Hope public can attend this trial game
Can’t see any reason why the public can’t be there.
In previous seasons they would be lucky if 1000 people turn up anyway.

I’m trying to put together a best 22 and am finding that there is one man in particular that could start on basically every line on the ground - Rat Bailey. Think this bloke is a super talent and should explode soon. Where do we see his best position currently? Wing? With Zorko more than likely to spend more time up forward, I’m hoping Bailey can start to spend some more time inside, but not sure there is the room for him there.

I don't know as much as some on this site, but I too like Bailey and think at the moment wing, forward pocket, but can see in the next year or two more time inside

Can’t see any reason why the public can’t be there.
In previous seasons they would be lucky if 1000 people turn up anyway.
held in QLD with no community COVID, fans should be able to attend, I don't agree with this, but I reckon the AFL will have it standard across the country that no crowds at any of the practice games...what a load of rubbish.
I would like the Victorian Premier to get a handle on hotel quarantine so there are no interruptions to the AFL season. That sounds selfish when our Melbourne friends are currently in lockdown and Victorian small businesses are going to the wall. Apart from the odd incident look how well Sydney has handled the hotel quarantine and they are accepting the bulk of the returned Aussies. If there is an outbreak the Premier does not close down the whole state. Where as QLD and WA in particular will close borders almost instantly, and then there is Dan...

held in QLD with no community COVID, fans should be able to attend, I don't agree with this, but I reckon the AFL will have it standard across the country that no crowds at any of the practice games...what a load of rubbish.
I would like the Victorian Premier to get a handle on hotel quarantine so there are no interruptions to the AFL season. That sounds selfish when our Melbourne friends are currently in lockdown and Victorian small businesses are going to the wall. Apart from the odd incident look how well Sydney has handled the hotel quarantine and they are accepting the bulk of the returned Aussies. If there is an outbreak the Premier does not close down the whole state. Where as QLD and WA in particular will close borders almost instantly, and then there is Dan...

I get the impression this lockdown was due to the fact that there is little to no confidence in our contact tracing down here. Might be wrong, but that's my take on it. Hopefully we get our act into gear & have a contact tracing & quarantine system similar to NSW in terms of competency, if not then handball it to others to do that know what they're doing.

As usual, the 99.999% have to do the heavy lifting & do it tough, due to the incompetence & mismanagement of the 0.001% I reckon it will drag on beyond tomorrow, but hopefully not too much longer.

(Edit: I haven't fact checked those numbers).

(Edit: I work from home, am a ninja level hermit anyway, so these lockdowns don't really effect me that much, but that's not the point).

If things don't turn around down here & there are continual lockdowns over the next month and once again there are hubs in Qld / NSW I hope the players from the interstate clubs get the option of freighting their own beds up, because I've heard that's a big thing.

I get the impression this lockdown was due to the fact that there is little to no confidence in our contact tracing down here. Might be wrong, but that's my take on it. Hopefully we get our act into gear & have a contact tracing & quarantine system similar to NSW in terms of competency, if not then handball it to others to do that know what they're doing.

As usual, the 99.999% have to do the heavy lifting & do it tough, due to the incompetence & mismanagement of the 0.001% I reckon it will drag on beyond tomorrow, but hopefully not too much longer.

(Edit: I haven't fact checked those numbers).

(Edit: I work from home, am a ninja level hermit anyway, so these lockdowns don't really effect me that much, but that's not the point).

If things don't turn around down here & there are continual lockdowns over the next month and once again there are hubs in Qld / NSW I hope the players from the interstate clubs get the option of freighting their own beds up, because I've heard that's a big thing.
🛌

Ah Chee Andrews Rich

Bailey Lyons McCluggage
McInnerney Neale Rayner

Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
McStay Daniher Cameron

Just to clarify Brizy there's no typo there, Robinson has got the chop totally and that's Dev on the bench?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back